Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2019 11:10:26 AM EDT
Won this Supermatch M1A in a raffle a few years ago. Gave it to my stepfather because although it was my ticket drawn, he paid for the ticket. He's had it for a few years and has never really shot it much, if at all. He's visiting from TN for my son's graduation and he brought it with him and gave it back to me.
Took it out shooting and ran out of elevation adjustment (Steiner optic was won with the rifle and was mounted by the gunshop). The mount is a Smith Enterprise and I know that there is some amount of adjustment allowed in this mount.
I don't have the paperwork for the mount, though, and I can't seem to find what I need on the interwebz.
Help, please...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Like above- what ammo, what distance, was it benched, etc

If that was me, id take it all off and start over. Mount from gun, scope from mount.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Figure out which model of mount you have.

Links are here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It was benched at 50 yards using Federal XM80CL.
I was just shooting to shoot. Not really trying to get much out of it. I was just surprised that I had to adjust the elevation all the way to get it within 1" of aim point.
I kinda figured I'll have to take everything off and start from scratch.

I guess there are less fun problems to have.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Shooting high or low?

Try it at 100 and 200.  The M1A isn't a 50Y gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooting high or low?

Try it at 100 and 200.  The M1A isn't a 50Y gun.
View Quote
Yeah, I know.  
It was shooting way high. I was able to dial it down, but I ran out of elevation adjustment.  It shouldn't have done that, even at 50 yards. Optic is a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50.
Definitely a mount adjustment issue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
What a raffle win!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you have the wrong mount on the rifle for that distance. Look up the mount and see if it has elevation built in or if there is anything else "special" about it.
View Quote
Doing research, and I've confirmed that there IS elevation adjustment with this mount. As it was a raffle prize,  I'm sure the LGS just slapped it all together without being too precise.
Seems like I'll be able to bring the scope back to midpoint and boresight relatively easy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a raffle win!
View Quote
Certainly the best thing I've ever won.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ditch the scope and use the irons.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The mounts likely not installed correctly. I believe there’s a set screw in the front to set the level front to back during installation, and I bet that needs some tuning to remove some of the forward slope.

From reading their site, SEI is pretty adamant that their mount fits military and Chinese receivers, but seems to be silent about how they work on Springfield Armory rifles. They also recommend gauge blocks and a machinists level for installation, which is beyond the capabilities of most shops.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ditch the scope and use the irons.
View Quote
I'll get this mount sorted out. When I do, I'll probably take the PA 4-14x44 from my R700 and mount on this rifle. The Steiner will go on the R700... more than likely.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
You might be able to use Burris XTR rings to lower it. They're made to raise MOA, but I'm not sure why you just use them in reverse.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Call up SADLAK INDUSTRIES and have Dee (righthand) send you a receiver inspection kit.

There is a known receiver fitment issue with some Springfield receivers that cause the mount to not sit correctly in the mounting groove. Once you have the measurements then Sadlak will machine your mount. Or you can just send in the rifle and they will do it for you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I willing to bet there is nothing wrong with your scope or mount. The scope probably has a zero stop setting. It can be adjusted, but you probably won't need to once you shoot @ 100 or 200 yards.

I shoot 168's through my M1-A's, it seems a waste of barrel life to shoot anything less.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Great rifle by the way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome looking M1A!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I learned something today.

I studied the step by step instructions for installing the mount and decided I would remove it and start over.
I removed the optic and rings and then backed out the front set screw. I gently loosened the cam bolt about a half turn and... it dropped completely out.  

Turns out that the LGS that slapped this together to display it for their raffle stripped the cam bolt. I took everything off and cleaned out the metal shavings and closely inspected the receiver. It looked fine, fortunately. I took the bolt and screwed it into the receiver (without the mount) just to make sure it was good. The bolt is stripped about 3 threads deep, but once the good threads gained purchase, the bolt screwed in just fine. Thank God! Looks like I just need to get a new #12-32 cam bolt from Smith (or someone) and start over from step 1.

Nothing's easy, huh?
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I studied the step by step instructions for installing the mount and decided I would remove it and start over.
I removed the optic and rings and then backed out the front set screw. I gently loosened the cam bolt about a half turn and... it dropped completely out.  

Turns out that the LGS that slapped this together to display it for their raffle stripped the cam bolt. I took everything off and cleaned out the metal shavings and closely inspected the receiver. It looked fine, fortunately. I took the bolt and screwed it into the receiver (without the mount) just to make sure it was good. The bolt is stripped about 3 threads deep, but once the good threads gained purchase, the bolt screwed in just fine. Thank God! Looks like I just need to get a new #12-32 cam bolt from Smith (or someone) and start over from step 1.

Nothing's easy, huh?
View Quote
Somebody handed that to the counter help and said "put this together"...thankfully you lucked out and the bolt did not strip out the hole.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Somebody handed that to the counter help and said "put this together"...thankfully you lucked out and the bolt did not strip out the hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing's easy, huh?
That's kind of what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nothing's easy, huh?
View Quote
I have yet to find any local shop in all the years since owning M1A's that knows anything about working on M1A's let alone mounting optics on them.

Glad it's going to work out for you OP.

Keep that beautiful rifle far away from buba!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a new cam bolt and, mercifully,  everything went back together as it should.
Her former glory has been returned to her.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice

I love that camouflage McMillan stock
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice

I love that camouflage McMillan stock
View Quote
I know it's a great stock, but it's my least favorite thing about this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really? Why?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Mount the Smith per the instructions. Mechanically zero the scope. Buy a set of Burris Signature Z rings and use the offset inserts to zero/boresight the scope. Then use the scopes dials to fine tune the zero.
Commercial M1a receivers are notorious for being out of "mil-spec". Not really an issue until you mount a scope and the groove that interfaces the mount doesn't agree with the bore. The mount can be machined to fit the receiver, but then you have a custom mount.
Burris Z rings skip all that machining, shipping, and guess work.
They are very nice rings and I plan on using them in the future.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Really? Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Why?
Heavy and ugly,  IMO.
(Just my opinion,  of course)

I'd like to find a decent wood stock or chassis (JAE, but $$$).
I'd keep the McMillan for value purposes, though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I have no experience with M1As or that mount.  But if it was shooting high and you bottomed out your elevation to hit 1" high at 50 - it might have been zeroed at 100 or 200 bottomed out leaving ALL your elevation available for LR shooting.  That's how I like to have my LR bolt guns set up.  I use Sightron SIIIs that I love but they don't have a ZS.  I use a rail and Burris XTR sig rings with their inserts to get a 200 yard zero with the elevation bottomed out (or at least less than a full turn from it so I never get lost on the dial).

Just a thought.

Amazing rifle to have won!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have no experience with M1As or that mount.  But if it was shooting high and you bottomed out your elevation to hit 1" high at 50 - it might have been zeroed at 100 or 200 bottomed out leaving ALL your elevation available for LR shooting.  That's how I like to have my LR bolt guns set up.  I use Sightron SIIIs that I love but they don't have a ZS.  I use a rail and Burris XTR sig rings with their inserts to get a 200 yard zero with the elevation bottomed out (or at least less than a full turn from it so I never get lost on the dial).

Just a thought.

Amazing rifle to have won!
View Quote
Oh, yeah... I figured out the elevation thing, too. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, though.
When I first won the rifle, I kept it in my possession for 6 months or so. During that time,  I took it to the range and zeroed it at 100 yards... and I set the zero stop.  
I rolled it the opposite way,  counting clicks. It has 34 mils (340 clicks) and I reached the limit st 177. Then the lightbulb went off. It was 4ish years ago and I had completely forgotten.

I'm a dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad I forgot,  though. It led to my discovery of the stripped bolt and I feel much better now that it has been taken care of.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Heavy and ugly,  IMO.

View Quote
There's a few nice M1A Walnut stocks for sale in the EE..
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heavy and ugly,  IMO.

I've been eying that blonde walnut. Trying to learn all the intricacies as to what fits what before I spend more money.
I'm not even educated enough right now to know how to swap a stock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been eying that blonde walnut. Trying to learn all the intricacies as to what fits what before I spend more money.
View Quote
Swapping a stock is easy.... alI you need to do is remove the trigger guard assembly, pull off the upper receiver. Reassemble in the new stock.

Unless the new stock needs the butt plate, you shouldn't have to do anything but just put the complete receiver in the top and put the trigger guard assembly in the bottom.

If it needs the butt plate and rear swing attachment, that is easy - remove the two screws out of the butt plate pull off the butt plate and the rear sling guide reinstall into the new stock
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Swapping a stock is easy.... alI you need to do is remove the trigger guard assembly, pull off the upper receiver. Reassemble in the new stock.

Unless the new stock needs the butt plate, you shouldn't have to do anything but just put the complete receiver in the top and put the trigger guard assembly in the bottom.

If it needs the butt plate and rear swing attachment, that is easy - remove the two screws out of the butt plate pull off the butt plate and the rear sling guide reinstall into the new stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds easy enough. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A stock swap can literally be done in 10 seconds. If you need to swap the butt plate and rear attachment you are looking at tops like 2-3 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#37]
That's a rear lugged gun.  It's not going into another stock without excavating a fair amount of material.

And unless you get it bedded again, chances are I it won't shoot as well.  The bedding is the lions share of what makes that a match gun.

You might look to see if you can swap the whole gun for a National Match or Loaded which will be about a pound lighter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's a rear lugged gun.  It's not going into another stock without excavating a fair amount of material.

And unless you get it bedded again, chances are I it won't shoot as well.  The bedding is the lions share of what makes that a match gun.

You might look to see if you can swap the whole gun for a National Match or Loaded which will be about a pound lighter.
View Quote
This man is correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top