Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 1:45:07 PM EDT
I hadn't researched. First time I didn't do any research, I just wanted 'a bullpup' and went with this new SAR (1700USD at my LGS, brand new).
I was shooting at our LGS gun range, this purchase wasn't even planned; after the range, son and I went back in the store and this one was hanging right there before our eyes.

I always wanted a Bullpup; I love its futuristic look.

I just want to get some of you guys' input; I didn't even know there was a later update to it called the X95 and it seems to be pricier anyway.
Did I do well in purchasing this SAR or 'this'll learn you to do your research bettah next time'?

Emotional-purchase-inquiring-mind wants to know now

ETA PS it came with that flash hider on it; LANTAC

Can't tell if it's pinned (should it be pinned? Do SARs come with pinned flash hiders because of US regulation on barrel length etc. "don't know nothing!"

IWI Tavor SAR 5.56 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I do admit a lot of my purchases are aesthetic but I prefer the SAR look to the X95.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hadn't researched. First time I didn't do any research, I just wanted 'a bullpup' and went with this new SAR (1700USD at my LGS, brand new).
I was shooting at our LGS gun range, this purchase wasn't even planned; after the range, son and I went back in the store and this one was hanging right there before our eyes.

I always wanted a Bullpup; I love its futuristic look.

I just want to get some of you guys' input; I didn't even know there was a later update to it called the X95 and it seems to be pricier anyway.
Did I do well in purchasing this SAR or 'this'll learn you to do your research bettah next time'?

Emotional-purchase-inquiring-mind wants to know now

ETA PS it came with that flash hider on it; LANTAC

Can't tell if it's pinned (should it be pinned? Do SARs come with pinned flash hiders because of US regulation on barrel length etc. "don't know nothing!"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50845190907_3e9a1a020a_h.jpgIWI Tavor SAR 5.56 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Doesn't need to be pinned. The end of the buttstock to the tip of the barrel is over 28" as designed, specifically to ensure it's over the minimum length (likewise the barrel is actually 16.5" without the flash hider/muzzle device to ensure it exceeds the 16" requirement).
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks brothers!

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Overall, good purchase. Tavor SARs are fine weapons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Overall, good purchase. Tavor SARs are fine weapons.
View Quote
Why thank you sir - I love this rifle, was just wondering if I did the right thing.

IF they are still making it (probably for the US market) it must mean something; i.e. they didn't discontinue the SAR for the X95.

X95s seem to be going for way more, at least currently on Gunbroker
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the SAR to the X95 myself. Heavier and less ergonomic mag release but those aren’t significant issues. Look up the Israeli 5-point stance for them, makes a big difference shooting.  It looks a ton better than the X95 anyway. Solid buy.

Easiest upgrade with a SAR is dropping an X95 hammerpack in them, still a bullpup trigger but the pull is reduced a bit and the break is a little cleaner. Used to pretty easily find used hammerpacks for $100 or so when other folks would upgrade to the fancier Geissele or Shooting Sight packs.

I’d guess someone put the flash hider on it. Restricted state SARs had 18” barrels with a long brake pinned on and a 10rd mag in the box, so that’s not a new-old-stock restricted state one. Regular SARs have an A2-ish flash hider that’s put on with a jam nut. Need to break mine loose but they aren’t pinned like others have noted.

Pretty sure you have the same taste in guns as I do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I prefer the SAR to the X95 myself. Heavier and less ergonomic mag release but those aren't significant issues. Look up the Israeli 5-point stance for them, makes a big difference shooting.  It looks a ton better than the X95 anyway. Solid buy.

Easiest upgrade with a SAR is dropping an X95 hammerpack in them, still a bullpup trigger but the pull is reduced a bit and the break is a little cleaner. Used to pretty easily find used hammerpacks for $100 or so when other folks would upgrade to the fancier Geissele or Shooting Sight packs.

I'd guess someone put the flash hider on it. Restricted state SARs had 18" barrels with a long brake pinned on and a 10rd mag in the box, so that's not a new-old-stock restricted state one. Regular SARs have an A2-ish flash hider that's put on with a jam nut. Need to break mine loose but they aren't pinned like others have noted.

View Quote
Texas for life - that's how I am going to respond to you.

(Born in Dallas, class '68)

Thank you infinitely for your lengthly reply.

(off to Geissele now for the trigger pack - watching Chris Bartocci's take on it, must do)

Thanks all for setting my mind at ease - so happy
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(off to Geissele now for the trigger pack - watching Chris Bartocci's take on it, must do)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer the SAR to the X95 myself. Heavier and less ergonomic mag release but those aren't significant issues. Look up the Israeli 5-point stance for them, makes a big difference shooting.  It looks a ton better than the X95 anyway. Solid buy.

I'd guess someone put the flash hider on it. Restricted state SARs had 18" barrels with a long brake pinned on and a 10rd mag in the box, so that's not a new-old-stock restricted state one. Regular SARs have an A2-ish flash hider that's put on with a jam nut. Need to break mine loose but they aren't pinned like others have noted.

Geissele trigger pack gets ot similar to a SSA. Geissele pack + Lightning trigger bow = closer to the SSA-E
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
SAR > X95

You did good
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I do admit a lot of my purchases are aesthetic but I prefer the SAR look to the X95.
View Quote

SAR21 doesn't have a gey looking handguard
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

SAR21 doesn't have a gey looking handguard
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

(still grateful for all the input, bruh's!)

ETA: It appears SAR21s were phased out of production (reading around). If mine is new (and they had a bunch here when we bought mine at our LGS), how is it possibile?
NOS that is being sold off?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]
IWI Tavor SAR21 556 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Swapped out Lantac for classic A2; it was non-pinned as mentioned

love me a classic look
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/vladimir-putin-laughing_zpsov82lsef_GIF-129.gif

(still grateful for all the input, bruh's!)

ETA: It appears SAR21s were phased out of production (reading around). If mine is new (and they had a bunch here when we bought mine at our LGS), how is it possibile?
NOS that is being sold off?
View Quote

I have an X95 and thing it looks terrible. Even the aftermarket parts look very chodelike. The SAR21 stick and aftermarket handguards are tits.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have an X95 and thing it looks terrible. Even the aftermarket parts look very chodelike. The SAR21 stick and aftermarket handguards are tits.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my SAR. Especially with the ACOG.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a SAR.  Great rifle.  These things are not sniper rifles.  If you haven't ordered a trigger upgrade yet, give the stock trigger a run.  I have only added an mantacore butt pad and a acog.   Enjoy your rifle.   You did good.   Cheers Wardawg
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks again - all o' you
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, I guess I'll be the odd man out. I have owned the following 5...

1 X95
2 AUG A1
3 SAR
4 AUG A3M1
5 RDB

Of them I still have the X95 and the A1.
The A1 is so high because it was my grail gun, 20" of Austrian cool. Functionally, the X95 smokes it. I don't give a shit what it looks like, it does what I want it to and that's all I care about. I kept the Aug for cool, and the X95 for use. The SAR is a good gun, but I much prefer the X95. Should you regret your choice? Only you can answer that. Everyone else's opinion means exactly nothing.

Eta: for typing while exhausted.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Should you regret your choice? Only you can answer that. Everyone else's opinion means exactly nothing.

View Quote
Thanks for your input!

Nah, I do value ARFCOM's opinion; especially when I have no previous experience with the subject matter - technically, specifically - and have not researched it either. I have learned much here over the years

But thank you -
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#20]
congrats op. i paid 1800 for my odg 16" x95 last year. bullpups take a little to get used to but are fun to shoot and balance well with a can for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
congrats op. i paid 1800 for my odg 16" x95 last year. bullpups take a little to get used to but are fun to shoot and balance well with a can for me
View Quote
Thank you sir!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top