Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2020 4:10:02 PM EDT
With all this Covid/rioting/political unrest going on, I decided I’d look around for a new shotgun just to have in cause the election didn’t turn out great.

initially had planned to snag a 590 before things went crazy, but once prices skyrocketed I quickly passed. Had previously had a Shockwave and 500A earlier this year but sold both off when prices were right cause I had other shotguns to use. But then had to sell those off for home repairs and was left without a shotgun. Not a huge deal, but I’d rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

Hadnt really been looking for anything lately due to my work schedule and life, but recently got together with my dad and uncles for a lunch and range time. While eating, my uncle told us about how he had just recently bought two shotguns from a neighbor for $300. Couldn’t tell us manufactures just one had a 18.5” and other 30” barrel. Neighbor was just cleaning out some stuff and wanted to unload quickly without hassle of dealing with other people. Plus helps him and my uncle are always helping one another out.

Ate lunch and went outside to shoot, uncle pulls out a Mossberg 500 18.5” barrel with pistol grip. Says he gave $100 for it, jokingly told him I’d give him $120, he said let me make $50. Shook hands and walked away with it.

Gave it a thorough cleaning last night, still had packing grease in it that was making the action difficult to rack. Definitely hadn’t been shot a lot, I’ll remedy that.

Only modifications I’ll do it add a MagPul fore end so I can mount a light, add a sling, and change out the follows to a different one. May add a side saddle
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
great buy.  right place right time.  sweet!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If it were me, I'd ditch the pistol grip. Placement of the safety on the top of the receiver doesn't play well with the pistol grip. I tried it once and removed the pistol grip immediately.

Here's an oversize safety that's much easier to work when hands are sweaty...  https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Oversize-Reversible-Safety-Models/dp/B06XV1FKN1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mossberg+large+safety&qid=1603605988&sr=8-5

$150 is the same price I paid for a used M500 20 years ago. Good deal!

For a front sling mount I used a QD GG&G mount. For the rear I inserted an Impact weapons QD mount on a Knoxx stock. Same location as a Benelli stock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely DITCH the "Pistol Grip" if it looks like THIS

or THIS.  

I'd REALLY recommend a conventional style stock due to the safety location.

Also huge +1 for getting an OVERSIZED STEEL replacement safety button   It is one of THE weakest links in an otherwise solid shotgun.

Congratulations on a GREAT deal in these days for a serious 12 gauge!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By:

https://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/f7b906d53d787e3daacd095a2c7fcc0e/m/o/mossberg-500-pistol-grip-shotgun.jpg

or THIS.  

https://greyarsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSCN1417-e1403042696320.jpg

Also huge +1 for getting an OVERSIZED STEEL replacement safety button   It is one of THE weakest links in an otherwise solid shotgun.

View Quote

@Bigger_Hammer

Yes, it is exactly as you have pictured there. I’m planning on trying to find a magpul buttstock or speedstock for it but in meantime I’m just going to rock a hogue tamer pistol grip on it. It’s basically set up in same configuration I had in Afghanistan , though I never carried it we had it in the truck for just in case moments

I’m definitely looking at oversized mag release, that’s one upgrade I’ve never done for the many I’ve owned. Mainly always change out the follow and replace magazine tube spring with one from wolf cause I don’t know Springs age

I was pleasantly surprised my uncle agreed to sell it at that price, considering we had just been talking about how hard/expensive it was to find certain things lately. Said he was happy just making the $50 off it and would rather have the money back in his pocket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd ditch the pistol grip. Placement of the safety on the top of the receiver doesn't play well with the pistol grip. I tried it once and removed the pistol grip immediately.

Here's an oversize safety that's much easier to work when hands are sweaty...  https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Oversize-Reversible-Safety-Models/dp/B06XV1FKN1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mossberg+large+safety&qid=1603605988&sr=8-5

$150 is the same price I paid for a used M500 20 years ago. Good deal!

For a front sling mount I used a QD GG&G mount. For the rear I inserted an Impact weapons QD mount on a Knoxx stock. Same location as a Benelli stock.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48830738057_74ccb4a458_z.jpg
View Quote

@blowout
Yeah, the pistol grip is gone as soon as I find a decent replacement for it. Though I’ll probably rock it  with pistol grip for a little bit cause looks cool but not functional

Looking at ordering that oversized safety here soon, that’s one upgrade I’ve never done

I was stoked at the price to get it, cause I think last one I got I paid/trade value was like $250-300

I like that stock setup
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]

If you must have a pistol grip on it, look at the Shockwave Raptor grip. It puts the wrist at a much more natural angle, the safety is easy to reach, and it’s reasonably comfortable for a 12 gauge. Mossberg’s factory grip is the worst of all possible worlds; wrist-punishing angle, finger grooves that fit nobody’s hand, no easy access to the safety. There are probably dump-truck loads of them clogging landfills across the country, and if there aren’t, there should be.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I bought a J&S follower and their oversized safety button for my new to me shotgun. Hopefully will get in before to long, as follower was on backorder.

The follower is just a personal preference as almost every 500 I’ve ever owned gets that upgrade.

Still debating on which side saddle I want to go with
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
For a light, might keep checking for an old style Surefire weaponlight. I found one on eBay for $80ish in great condition and put in a 400 lumen LED replacement module I also found on ebay for around $15. I had also bought a new surefire 200 lumen light and compared them. The cheap set up was brighter so I sold the new light.

I have a knoxx compstock on 2 M500's. It has a mechanism built in to reduce felt recoil. You were able to get them for ~$75 before last summer. Really takes the bite out of full power 00B and slug loads.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Bigger_Hammer

Yes, it is exactly as you have pictured there. I’m planning on trying to find a magpul buttstock or speedstock for it but in meantime I’m just going to rock a hogue tamer pistol grip on it. It’s basically set up in same configuration I had in Afghanistan , though I never carried it we had it in the truck for just in case moments

I’m definitely looking at oversized mag release, that’s one upgrade I’ve never done for the many I’ve owned. Mainly always change out the follow and replace magazine tube spring with one from wolf cause I don’t know Springs age

I was pleasantly surprised my uncle agreed to sell it at that price, considering we had just been talking about how hard/expensive it was to find certain things lately. Said he was happy just making the $50 off it and would rather have the money back in his pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By:

https://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/f7b906d53d787e3daacd095a2c7fcc0e/m/o/mossberg-500-pistol-grip-shotgun.jpg

or THIS.  

https://greyarsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSCN1417-e1403042696320.jpg

@Bigger_Hammer

That's a GOOD Uncle to have in your Family!!  

Congrats on a GREAT deal, especially in these "Extremely Interesting Times"...
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a light, might keep checking for an old style Surefire weaponlight. I found one on eBay for $80ish in great condition and put in a 400 lumen LED replacement module I also found on ebay for around $15. I had also bought a new surefire 200 lumen light and compared them. The cheap set up was brighter so I sold the new light.

I have a knoxx compstock on 2 M500's. It has a mechanism built in to reduce felt recoil. You were able to get them for ~$75 before last summer. Really takes the bite out of full power 00B and slug loads.

View Quote

@Blowout

Thanks, I browsed eBay last night and couldn’t find one for less than $200! I remember them being around $100-130 last time I saw them.

Mainly want this set up for home defense style, so the light and side saddle are my high priorities right now
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a GOOD Uncle to have in your Family!!  

Congrats on a GREAT deal, especially in these "Extremely Interesting Times"...
View Quote

@Bigger_Hammer

Interesting times indeed! When I was able to sell a S&W Bodyguard for more money than you could buy one new for, I knew something was up.

I cleaned out my safe of stuff I took in on trades to even out deals. Granted I do regret selling the Steiner light I had for one of my Mossberg 500s, though the activation button was out of my natural reach (short arms) I liked how compact it was.

Also lucked out early on during all this and was able to get ammo for cheap. Unfortunately it was from a guy who had just lost his job and was selling what he had to pay bills. I bought as much as I could afford and had friends buy to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Side saddle.  Just go shot cards.

This is you want to keep it in pg.
Quoted:
https://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/rt1.jpg

If you must have a pistol grip on it, look at the Shockwave Raptor grip. It puts the wrist at a much more natural angle, the safety is easy to reach, and it’s reasonably comfortable for a 12 gauge. Mossberg’s factory grip is the worst of all possible worlds; wrist-punishing angle, finger grooves that fit nobody’s hand, no easy access to the safety. There are probably dump-truck loads of them clogging landfills across the country, and if there aren’t, there should be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Side saddle.  Just go shot cards.

This is you want to keep it in pg.

View Quote

@psegnatelli

Anyone you’d recommend?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Just realized I haven’t posted a picture

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@psegnatelli

Anyone you’d recommend?
View Quote

I'm a fan of Esstac.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm a fan of Esstac.  
View Quote

@psegnatelli
Thanks, ordered one from them. For $20, can’t beat it
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Just make sure u degrease the side of the gun really good.   I use alcohol.  

I also warm the receiver. Sunlight or a hairdryer.

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my home defense Mossberg after I took the pistol grip off and put a synthetic Mossberg buttstock on it.  The saddle is a must.  I keep it cruiser ready with 6 more rounds in the saddle.  

Attachment Attached File

I walked into my local small gun shop last week and found a like new Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel for $210.  Put on a used vented bird barrel with choke system I found for $80.  I wish I could find a security barrel for it but they are hard to find and people on Ebay are bidding them up to nearly $300 just for the barrel.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Had some time to do a little work to it

-Changed out the fore end for a Magpul so that I could add a TLR1 I had laying around on
-Added  Esstac side saddle
-Changed out the pistol grip for Hogue Tamer until such time I can find a cost efficient buttstock replacement

Still need to install the following
-J&S oversized magazine release
-J&S upgraded follower, though that’s probably going to be the toughest part since this one has never been removed. Have already tried using a hair dryer and lighter to break the loctite but no luck.
-Sling

All in, I’ve spent an extra $100 getting it way I wanted it so far. I will say both J&S & Esstac had super fast shipping
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Had some time to do a little work to it

-Changed out the fore end for a Magpul so that I could add a TLR1 I had laying around on
-Added  Esstac side saddle
-Changed out the pistol grip for Hogue Tamer until such time I can find a cost efficient buttstock replacement

Still need to install the following
-J&S oversized magazine release
-J&S upgraded follower, though that’s probably going to be the toughest part since this one has never been removed. Have already tried using a hair dryer and lighter to break the loctite but no luck.
-Sling

All in, I’ve spent an extra $100 getting it way I wanted it so far. I will say both J&S & Esstac had super fast shipping
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/C0C8FD1B-B80E-446F-A31C-1ED9DD1C29EE_jpe-1661786.JPG
View Quote

I used heat and a padded pipe wrench.   I think I used some corragated cardboard and a section of bike inner tube to pad the wrench.
I clamped the receiver with a piece of board in my vise.   Hit the threaded portion with a torch and a came loose.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice. If you like it and can shoot it like it is leave the pistol grip on it.

Can't understand why people say change it. Never bothered me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My way or the highway group think.

I agree with ya thou. If ya like, who cares.

PG shotgun is pretty handy. I keep one around mainly for wildlife. Fits in my small bedroom lockbox. On the card I have a mix of rubber slug, buck & bird.
Rubber slug for bear spankings, bird for vermins & buck for things that need killin.

Semi rural but have neighbors,  so a bit safer downrange in my eyes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a Surefire g2 pro enroute to mount up, went to change out the safety and the little BB went flying off into the unknown. Searched for 20 mins, got pissed and put it back in the safe

Still need to get it hot enough to break the loctite on the magazine tube to replace the follower
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got a Surefire g2 pro enroute to mount up, went to change out the safety and the little BB went flying off into the unknown. Searched for 20 mins, got pissed and put it back in the safe

Still need to get it hot enough to break the loctite on the magazine tube to replace the follower
View Quote

I used a birdshot when my bearing sailed into the unknown.  That was 2013 and it's still going.   I think it was a No.6 size.
Could have gone bigger.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Love my home defense Mossberg after I took the pistol grip off and put a synthetic Mossberg buttstock on it.  The saddle is a must.  I keep it cruiser ready with 6 more rounds in the saddle.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2153/Mossberg_500_Breacher_jpg-1661020.JPG

I walked into my local small gun shop last week and found a like new Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel for $210.  Put on a used vented bird barrel with choke system I found for $80.  I wish I could find a security barrel for it but they are hard to find and people on Ebay are bidding them up to nearly $300 just for the barrel.  

Patrick
View Quote
Have you tried going directly to Mossberg's website? They make replacement barrels, even for Remingtons.
ETA: Just looked and they are OOS on 18.5" but have a couple of 20" barrels.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Finally somewhat done, a friend wanted a black synthetic foreend for his 500, and had a black synthetic factory buttstock to trade me for it. I stippled  where the factory grip was just to make it a little more better in my hands.

Installed
-MagPul foreend with Surefire G2 light in Magpul light mount
-J&S oversized safety
-Esstac shotgun card
-Allen sling (works, might eventually switch out to Vickers/Blue Force)

Still need to get my J&S follower installed, just haven’t had an opportunity to try to heat the magazine tube up enough to break the factory loctite

Did a few practice drills, really liked the way it handled

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now you need one of these stabby things.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/trenchgun_12_JPG-1405176.jpg
View Quote

@mike_nds

Don’t think I didn’t about doing this
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#30]
OP It really is hard to beat a Mossberg 500 set up like yours. Maybe not HSLD, Tier 1 operator but a damn handy combination with a solid action.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I find it difficult to say no to cheap shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like them too.  I have 3 Mossberg 500’s.  Two are Coast to Coast hardware store ones, but still Mossy 500.  One has the weird action arm length so it’s a little limited to which forearm I use.  I added a 20” barrel and magazine to the real 500 and Magpul forend.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like them too.  I have 3 Mossberg 500’s.  Two are Coast to Coast hardware store ones, but still Mossy 500.  One has the weird action arm length so it’s a little limited to which forearm I use.  I added a 20” barrel and magazine to the real 500 and Magpul forend.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44058/13A5DE40-B561-4472-ADD7-0A99C367FDD9_jpe-1708080.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44058/E7E8A772-2481-478C-9A0C-9E38B3053546_jpe-1708081.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44058/13A5DE40-B561-4472-ADD7-0A99C367FDD9_jpe-1708080.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44058/E7E8A772-2481-478C-9A0C-9E38B3053546_jpe-1708081.JPG

Me too! One 590, one New Haven 600AT, and one 500 20ga youth with the short throw fore end which you describe.

The 590 got new short-LOP Hogue furniture, the old 590 plastic went on the New Haven along with an 18.5" barrel, and the 20ga is stock.

I always have room for another 500-type if the price is right. Some think apocalypse guns look like AKs, but I think they look like Mossberg pumps
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Got a new to me Surefire 951 in today, and was moving around some of my lights. Ended up having a BCM mlok 1” light mount sitting around so placed that on instead

Must say, it’s a slick set up now!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He'll have an eotech on it by Christmas
View Quote

@aimless
Naw, not on this
Maybe on my M4A1 clone if Santa is good to me
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice... I have the pistol grip (breecher model from a decade ago) as well, and have been checking the EE to find a stock. Found a supply of synthetic stocks with hardware on BolandFX for 27 bucks, free shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top