Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2020 11:12:08 PM EDT
Picked it up Sunday 1550 otd 2 mags and 300rnds of ammo. I'm not sure what gen it is, what optic I should put on it, and what's the easiest way to sbr it? I'll efile the form 1 and have a haylocan and oculus both rated for 5 7 and have a turbo 2k in in jail. Any help is appreciated and if anyone has links for fn ammo in stock would be great
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
https://trosusa.com/

Here ya go. It's worth it. Also opted for the mini acog mount and stuck in a 1.5x doughnut.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had High Desert Dog cut my barrel and then I got an adapter barrel nut for an AR15 flash suppressor.

It was years ago, so other than that...
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
And I have an Aimpoint T-1 on mine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
K&M charging handle is the best!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me what gen it is? Iirc the trigger pack color is a dead giveaway, one is grey one is black right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me what gen it is? Iirc the trigger pack color is a dead giveaway, one is grey one is black right?
View Quote

Pull out the trigger pack and share some pictures!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Trigger pack would tell us what gen it is.  Many cut their barrel.  KM charging handle is the sauce.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Cmmg has 10.5" barrels.
Efile form1, either individual or trust.
These scope mounts cost more but they have more scope options.
https://dmachineri.com/collections/scope-mounts

Stock scope mount sucks.  Btw did you notice the notches for the built in iron sights on either side of the sight assembly?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s not just pack color.  It’s also the hammer color and where the notch is on the hammer, and whether the auto sear is present.  We’d need to see a picture.  If it’s all black, it’s Gen 1.  After that, the packs are grey, and you need to look at other features like the hammer to see which Gen it is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Smart move is to buy a CMMG barrel, EFFEN90 receiver, some spare small parts, and SBR those so the original is unmolested.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s not just pack color.  It’s also the hammer color and where the notch is on the hammer, and whether the auto sear is present.  We’d need to see a picture.  If it’s all black, it’s Gen 1.  After that, the packs are grey, and you need to look at other features like the hammer to see which Gen it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really doesn't matter, anymore.  No one is selling Gen1 guns without knowing what they have, no one is buying them without knowing what they can (almost) do.

I got a Gen2 at a pretty good used price (900$) several years back, so those are maybe available from unknowing sellers, but even with the gimped safety sear, they are also commanding a premium that most sellers will know about.  I guess with a Gen1 ManKave hammer it'd be very desirable, but that's really dancing close to intent, for my taste.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It really doesn't matter, anymore.  No one is selling Gen1 guns without knowing what they have, no one is buying them without knowing what they can (almost) do.

I got a Gen2 at a pretty good used price (900$) several years back, so those are maybe available from unknowing sellers, but even with the gimped safety sear, they are also commanding a premium that most sellers will know about.  I guess with a Gen1 ManKave hammer it'd be very desirable, but that's really dancing close to intent, for my taste.
View Quote

There certainly are still Gen 1 PS90s out there for good prices, in March I picked one a tri rail (like the OPs) from a pawn shop for $1,000.  I wasn’t even gonna check it out as I have a couple PS90s already but figured I would take a quick look.  Look at that... Gen 1 pack, guess I will buy it.  I already had an extra Gen 3 pack and sold the Gen 1 pack on GB.

Last year I ran across a Gen 1 at a gun show for $1,200 but I had already spent a bunch and was short on cash.  Annoyed with myself for that but doesn’t really matter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is grey
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Picked it up Sunday 1550 otd 2 mags and 300rnds of ammo. I'm not sure what gen it is, what optic I should put on it, and what's the easiest way to sbr it? I'll efile the form 1 and have a haylocan and oculus both rated for 5 7 and have a turbo 2k in in jail. Any help is appreciated and if anyone has links for fn ammo in stock would be greathttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326579/20200906_135050-1583750.jpg
View Quote

Look around for the older chrome lined CMMG barrel, a few months ago Optics Planet still had them, if not just pick up one of the new ones.  If you are careful drilling out the pin you can take off the original barrel intact and get at least $100 for it on Gunbroker.  Pick up the barrel and a CMMG muzzle thread adaptor and you will be set for Form 1 approval.

Aimpoint PRO is a good choice but it really depends on what you like.  I have a Leopold Tactical Prismatic on one of my PS90s and really like it but they discontinued it a few years ago.

That seems like a good price in today’s market, certainly with 300rds of ammo as it’s near impossible to find.  I would really suggest checking out random local gun shops for ammo as online is tough at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Scored 500rnds today for $300 at a small hunting and fishing store today. The two guys working had no idea what 5.7 was
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
all the optic mounts you guys posted are different looking ps90s from mine, the top of my gun is a flat pic rail and the links all show a different style "carry handle"/optics mount
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
all the optic mounts you guys posted are different looking ps90s from mine, the top of my gun is a flat pic rail and the links all show a different style "carry handle"/optics mount
View Quote

There are a number of top rail options for the P/PS90, both made by FN and aftermarket companies.  Most go on top of the receiver in place of the ring site.  Also, FN made a railed version of the PS90 with an integral top rail.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are a number of top rail options for the P/PS90, both made by FN and aftermarket companies.  Most go on top of the receiver in place of the ring site.  Also, FN made a railed version of the PS90 with an integral top rail.
View Quote

Mine is railed
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]
At that price You stole that btw
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]

thanks but again the top of my gun is a full rail and doesnt dip down in the front. looking for optic suggestions that mount right to the rail

also where does a ps90 get engraved for a form 1 sbr and what info do i need to engrave?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

thanks but again the top of my gun is a full rail and doesnt dip down in the front. looking for optic suggestions that mount right to the rail

also where does a ps90 get engraved for a form 1 sbr and what info do i need to engrave?
View Quote

Mounting to the factory rail will give you cheekweld issues.  The gun was designed with a ring sight were your rudimentary iron sights are now.  A replacement for the rail will get your sight in the proper alignment.  If you don't want to replace the rail, any quality low mount red dot, like Primary Arms, should do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mounting to the factory rail will give you cheekweld issues.  The gun was designed with a ring sight were your rudimentary iron sights are now.  A replacement for the rail will get your sight in the proper alignment.  If you don't want to replace the rail, any quality low mount red dot, like Primary Arms, should do.
View Quote

the rail is not removable its a solid piece and has the sn on the left side of the gun. it has no iron sights. ill post some better pics when i get home tonight
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#26]
mine looks like this
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never seen one of those.  Looks like you might be stuck with a high sight.  I would go with a low red dot like the Primary Arms SLx.
View Quote

thanks thats the kind of suggestions im looking for
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A Tri-Rail places your sight at the correct height. They were discontinued several years ago.
View Quote

Thanks for the help guys. It didn't come with a box or manual but I swear its brand new
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I put a trijicon RMR on mine.  It's a PDW, not a carbine, so I prefer to keep a small and light weight profile.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#33]
While by all accounts TROS does exceptional work, he's also very well known for underestimating timelines and may not be the best communicator...do your own research before deciding.  Note that in the past he's required a copy of your Form 1 to do a barrel chop - which many consider a bit over the top in terms of CYA.

Stock barrel removal is actually not that difficult - folks have come up with pretty straightforward ways to remove the shroud and then you just push the barrel out with a dowel or cleaning rod to retain the springs and button.

Not the greatest video, skip to 1:20 for the actual pin removal - I didn't locate my drill hole in quite the right spot and ended up with a much uglier shroud hole than his, and I got into the barrel threads a bit - but was able to drive the pin right out just about as easily as he shows!  Since I was having Morgan @EastTxHunter cut the barrel back, I wasn't concerned BUT I'll also say the shroud threaded right on and off again quite smoothly past the extra bit of hole I installed ...

How to: Remove PS90 Barrel Shroud in 2 minutes without stripping threads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b8cYjLLJw

You'll want very thin wrenches as well, the ones I've used are:
The Stahlwille Motor 10 wrenches:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

and the Park Tool crows-foot - works just fine for the 30-35 ft-lb needed here:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Note that you'll need a torque wrench which allows lefty-tighty torque measurement...
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
While by all accounts TROS does exceptional work, he's also very well known for underestimating timelines and may not be the best communicator...do your own research before deciding.  Note that in the past he's required a copy of your Form 1 to do a barrel chop - which many consider a bit over the top in terms of CYA.

Stock barrel removal is actually not that difficult - folks have come up with pretty straightforward ways to remove the shroud and then you just push the barrel out with a dowel or cleaning rod to retain the springs and button.

Not the greatest video, skip to 1:20 for the actual pin removal - I didn't locate my drill hole in quite the right spot and ended up with a much uglier shroud hole than his, and I got into the barrel threads a bit - but was able to drive the pin right out just about as easily as he shows!  Since I was having Morgan @EastTxHunter cut the barrel back, I wasn't concerned BUT I'll also say the shroud threaded right on and off again quite smoothly past the extra bit of hole I installed ...

You'll want very thin wrenches as well, the ones I've used are:
The Stahlwille Motor 10 wrenches:
www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8ZOS6

and the Park Tool crows-foot - works just fine for the 30-35 ft-lb needed here:
www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXNZMMQ
Note that you'll need a torque wrench which allows lefty-tighty torque measurement...
View Quote

thanks i filed my form 1 last week. another question, what sling are you guys using?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

thanks i filed my form 1 last week. another question, what sling are you guys using?
View Quote

I just threw on a set of Parker Mountain Machine QD mounts - they seem really cool but I haven't had a chance to do much with the gun since adding them.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p75/PMM_Ps90%2FP90__QD_Sling_Mount.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Still want one to SBR, real bad...
Might have jumped this year if good ammo hadn't gone through the roof...
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Still want one to SBR, real bad...
Might have jumped this year if good ammo hadn't gone through the roof...
View Quote

Doooo eeeeeeet!!!!!

I never liked the PS90 until I shot a friend's SBR and it became a JHTH item immediately!  The gun is kinda silly IMNSHO with the 16" barrel but at its proper length becomes incredibly nice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks again for the help guys. Did anyone have mag issues? 9ne 9f mine doesn't seem to feed right, seems like theres not enough pressure on the main stack of bullets
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Picked it up Sunday 1550 otd 2 mags and 300rnds of ammo. I'm not sure what gen it is, what optic I should put on it, and what's the easiest way to sbr it? I'll efile the form 1 and have a haylocan and oculus both rated for 5 7 and have a turbo 2k in in jail. Any help is appreciated and if anyone has links for fn ammo in stock would be greathttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326579/20200906_135050-1583750.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks again for the help guys. Did anyone have mag issues? 9ne 9f mine doesn't seem to feed right, seems like theres not enough pressure on the main stack of bullets
View Quote

FN or aftermarket? FN is GTG, maybe toss in ManKave rollers (I did on principle alone) and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Love mine

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

FN or aftermarket? FN is GTG, maybe toss in ManKave rollers (I did on principle alone) and see if that helps.
View Quote

All 3 mags are fn
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All 3 mags are fn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All 3 mags are fn

Swap rollers with a good mag and see if the problem follows the rollers or the mag body/spring. Repeat with spring if necessary. Replace whichever is appropriate. I’d read all kinds of rave reviews on the ManKave rollers and they’re much nicer finished even on casual inspection but I never ran my mags with the stock rollers so I can’t really say if they help.  Stories of American Eagle jamming like crazy with stock rollers and running perfectly with MK do make me wonder.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Point of reference: I have thousands of rounds thru 4 mags for my PS90 which is bone stock except for a factory P90 barrel and flash hider with zero issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Swap rollers with a good mag and see if the problem follows the rollers or the mag body/spring. Repeat with spring if necessary. Replace whichever is appropriate. I’d read all kinds of rave reviews on the ManKave rollers and they’re much nicer finished even on casual inspection but I never ran my mags with the stock rollers so I can’t really say if they help.  Stories of American Eagle jamming like crazy with stock rollers and running perfectly with MK do make me wonder.
View Quote

ill check into the rollers. thanks again
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#46]
My current configuration. I have not fired it since I SBR and suppressed it yet though. 3 lug HK mount for suppressor.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My current configuration. I have not fired it since I SBR and suppressed it yet though. 3 lug HK mount for suppressor.

https://i.imgur.com/0tPdLAW.jpg
View Quote

Need Turbo K with 3lug adapter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0tPdLAW.jpg
View Quote

I never considered putting a 3-lug on the PS90.  But it would then match my other shorty SBRs.  I.... really like it.

Huh, I'm going to need to try this now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Hopefully my turbo 2k and sbr stamps come in soon. Thinking about going with the 3 lug also. I also have a turbo 2 in jail which will probably live on my x95 which I may also sbr and swap the current asr for a 3 lug
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top