Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2020 8:28:52 AM EDT
How much would you give for this?  It is approximately 20 years old but has never been used.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Casting stuff like everything else is sky high right now.

I've watched a 2 gang bullet mold for 9mm go for $175 on Ebay.

Used models of that pot are $65 and up on Ebay right now.  With a new one listed between $100 and $200.

I would not pay that much, but they are moving at those prices....

Used, rusty, $105 shipped

Used, not bad shape; $65 shipped, but 5 days left in the auction
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the 20 pounder is far better.  

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP was looking to sell and not buy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree that the 20 pounder is far better.  

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP was looking to sell and not buy.
View Quote

No buying from a guy here at work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No buying from a guy here at work.
View Quote

In that case, if I didn't have a pot I definitely wouldn't pay more than $50.  

As dryflash said, even the 20 pound pot drains fast, and then 10 pounder drains twice as fast
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As dryflash said, even the 20 pound pot drains fast, and then 10 pounder drains twice as fast
View Quote

Giving $50 and getting 50lb of ingots to go with it.  It will work for my needs.  It's not like I will find an unused pot anywhere for cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
That's definitely a good deal with the lead!

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Offer $15
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Offer $15
View Quote

sure, I am going to offer a friend a robbery price for a lead pot worth 5 times as much.  

I am all about saving a buck but I am not going to steal something from anyone.  

I have integrity.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you clicked my link, you would see new ones are $61.

Now that the deal has changed and lead ingots are involved, I would offer $45.

View Quote

Shipping, tax, back order, no lead?

My math isn't that bad.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My math isn't that bad.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you clicked my link, you would see new ones are $61.

Now that the deal has changed and lead ingots are involved, I would offer $45.

My math isn't that bad.  

$45 and $50 are pretty much the same difference. At $50 with the lead it's not a bad deal and I wouldn't dicker with a friend over $5.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

sure, I am going to offer a friend a robbery price for a lead pot worth 5 times as much.  

I have integrity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have integrity.

Quoted:

Giving $50 and getting 50lb of ingots to go with it.  It will work for my needs.  It's not like I will find an unused pot anywhere for cheaper.

Quoted:

My math isn't that bad.  

So what was the whole point of the thread then?  You wanted a pat on the back?  If he's such  a good friend why would you think he's not giving you a reasonable deal also?

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Price tag still on box,, give him that,, it still NIB,, today replacement cost is a bunch more

Lead, average rate been $1/lb for a good whle, not sure for todays rate
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That looks like a 10 pound pot, and you really should get a 20 pound pot.

$20 but it's not the pot you want.

https://i.imgur.com/ZgYyLTil.jpg

Near furnace is a 10 pounder, I use it for soft lead for black powder bullets.

Far pot is a 20 pounder for production.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?SearchTerm=lee+lead+pots
View Quote

Def a 10# pot.  They tend to drip, or at least, both of mine do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems like a good deal to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a good deal.

Midway USA is selling lead furnace for $44 and up.

https://www.midwayusa.com/bullet-casting-furnaces/br?cid=8660

Casting for pistol is a easy and cheap.

Check out the cast bullets forum and get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Good deal even if it is a 10 lb pot.  The 50 lbs of ingots gets you pointed in the right direction and are worth the $50 themselves.

Make sure you know the alloy, or cast a few bullets and test them.  You can get away with softer alloys if you powder coat these days, but pure lead is not what you want to use for bullets.  Lots of ingots you might find are pure and intended for fishing sinkers so just be careful there.  Mixing alloys is another reason a 20 lb pot is better but you can decide if casting is for you after using the 10 lb pot a while.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy pot with lead.

Keep lead.

Sell unused pot for the price of a new one currently.

Buy a waage or rcbs or lyman mag pot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good deal even if it is a 10 lb pot.  The 50 lbs of ingots gets you pointed in the right direction and are worth the $50 themselves.

Make sure you know the alloy, or cast a few bullets and test them.  You can get away with softer alloys if you powder coat these days, but pure lead is not what you want to use for bullets.  Lots of ingots you might find are pure and intended for fishing sinkers so just be careful there.  Mixing alloys is another reason a 20 lb pot is better but you can decide if casting is for you after using the 10 lb pot a while.
View Quote

The ingots were melted for casting. My uncle told me to nip one to ensure they cut easily.

The guy has another pot that was used. His father in-law passed on a ton of stuff when he died.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep in mind that there is still a wide range of alloys that might be used for casting.  Lead for rifle bullets will be harder, pistol softer.  Some people cast pure linotype for rifle bullets.  Plus if you powder coat you can get away with softer lead than otherwise.

Kind of an art as much as a science.  For example, I have some ingots that are pure lead.  I have some ingots that are wheelweights.  I have some linotype.  When I cast for pistol use at low velocities, powder coating, I mix a certain number of pure lead ingots with a certain number of wheelweight ingots to get to the hardness I want.  If you want to just lube them, then wheelweight lead is just about perfect as is.  I think I mix my pistol bullet, powder coat intended alloy at 5 WW/4 pure typically.  

If you have any idea on whether the intent was rifle or pistol use it will point you in the correct direction.  You can get a lead hardness tester if you desire, or just try a few out and see how they work.  A range of pencils can even be used to test lead hardness as well.  Or cast a few bullets and mail them to someone with a tester.  You get the idea.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I am pretty sure he loaded pistol.

I also have a bucket of wheel weights I can smelt.  My uncle cut them with nippers to ensure I have the right stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool deal, you should be good to go with some T and E along the way.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a used 10# pot full of lead with a 20# box of lead for $40 cash on Craigslist.  No crab meat involved.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure he loaded pistol.

I also have a bucket of wheel weights I can smelt.  My uncle cut them with nippers to ensure I have the right stuff.
View Quote

Be careful about raw wheel weights. The stuff you get now has a chance of being zinc or steel in
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Be careful about raw wheel weights. The stuff you get now has a chance of being zinc or steel in
View Quote

Yep my uncle who casts quite a bit helped me ensure I have good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top