Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2023 8:31:16 AM EDT
Guy had a 12.5" upper and did not want to go the get in bed with the gov route and asked me to make him something to get to 16.25 and he also wanted a suppressor look so found a chunk of aluminum bar in the bin and turned the OD to just barely fit under the handguard then bored the ID out until I thought it looked right. I mistakenly bored the entire thing out forgetting I need something to thread lol so I turned another smaller one and tigged into place and then drilled and single point threaded that to be concentric with the tube. Chamfered everything, media blasted and went ahead and plug welded it to the barrel (I used a threaded set screw then plugged in aluminum on top for this one. I was going to blend off the tig marks but it would not looked welded on so I decided to leave that. After that I taped up the bbl and cerakoted in graphite black.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Good looking end product, but weird choice by the customer IMO.

How much does the extension you made weigh?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
Good looking end product, but weird choice by the customer IMO.

How much does the extension you made weigh?
View Quote
I didn't weigh it but it seemed pretty light. I have some titanium tubing and was going to make that and weld on end caps but I don't know if that is legal or not. Seems it would be, I remember seeing surefire trainers with welded on caps but I have no idea. My KUSA KR-9 has a factory aluminum one and it weighs a freaking ton and I want to make a new one. It has a bbl under it however so it is purely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Soooo, you built a "Loudener"  

Sledge Hammer's invention, a loudener
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Soooo, you built a "Loudener"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKM9GDuX0Y
View Quote
That was funny. I have never seen that show. At first I thought it was police academy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#6]
Originally Posted By OG1:
was going to make that and weld on end caps but I don't know if that is legal or not. Seems it would be, I remember seeing surefire trainers with welded on caps but I have no idea.
View Quote

Final product looks great but I would definitely forego the end cap. All of the SF trainers that I have ever used were open like a blast can. It’s my understanding that the end cap is a no no and constitutes NFA territory. Of course, the FATF is clear as mud on everything, so who knows.

ETA: SF trainer link - this is what I have used but maybe there are other models with end caps. IDK
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Custom blast can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice work, OP.  Sounds like a .308 at an indoor range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice.  Prettier than any I've made.  

I still prefer the pin and weld bayonet.  Welded to the barrel, makes it legal length.  Win win !
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
Nice.  Prettier than any I've made.  

I still prefer the pin and weld bayonet.  Welded to the barrel, makes it legal length.  Win win !
View Quote
Wait what? I'm interested in this a lot lol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe the ATFE accepts that the bayonet contributes to the length of the barrel just because it's "permanently" attached.  Is there a determination letter on that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dex223:
I can't believe the ATFE accepts that the bayonet contributes to the length of the barrel just because it's "permanently" attached.  Is there a determination letter on that?
View Quote

Not sure, but I think, since it's not threaded on, it has to be welded.  And because it has to be welded it has to be a bayonet type that has a ring like any of the issue M4 bayonets, M6,7,9, etc.  Because it has to be welded "around" the barrel.

Pretty sure I saw one welded onto a threaded sleeve, which was then, threaded on to the muzzle, pin and welded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dex223:Is there a determination letter on that?
View Quote

The fixed bayonet is an interesting concept but I’m not really in the camp of trusting determination letters after the brace fiasco. Still, I’d love to see a pic of the welded bayonet
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That would be hilarious if that's the answer to the pistol brace bullshit - just weld a bayonet on & throw on a stock?  Lol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
That would be hilarious if that's the answer to the pistol brace bullshit - just weld a bayonet on & throw on a stock?  Lol.
View Quote
Nah, leave the brace on, weld a cutlass to the barrel, wear a sash and a eyepatch, say aarrr me matey a lot.
Parrot and peg leg sold separately.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Right! It is now twice as dangerous with a stabby part.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I want my bayonet offset to clear my suppressor.
11.5" + 5" bayonet would go nice with a 5" K can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
While I love the interest in the derail, back on topic.  Your project is prettier than the one I did for my 4.5" 9mm AR.  But it works

Crappy old photoshitcan pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OG1] [#19]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
While I love the interest in the derail, back on topic.  Your project is prettier than the one I did for my 4.5" 9mm AR.  But it works

Crappy old photoshitcan pics.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/20161028_234504_zps8sky94cr_jpg-2787901.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/20161028_235416_zpsqcqogd3r_jpg-2787902.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome

I think I am going to make one for myself this week. I retired my bag gun when the aft went all in retard. I really love this titanium V SEVEN Helios blast can but will see how it goes getting a 7.5 out to 16.25.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunCat] [#20]
Originally Posted By Dex223:
View Quote

Now you've done it. You know someones gonna write a letter to the AFT before sundown.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The steyr MPi 69

Most fun with a full auto sub gun
ever

Honorable mention

HkMP5 SD? The navy version with
The suppressor in the forearm
Set up with 3 shot burst
Point the red dot, tap the trigger
And three holes instantly appear
Heavier than you think

Tommy gun m1?  Loud, heavy,
other than short burst, hard to keep
on target

Sub gun I would like to shoot
British Lanchester
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
FATF
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kels:  The steyr MPi 69

Most fun with a full auto sub gun
ever

Honorable mention

HkMP5 SD? The navy version with
The suppressor in the forearm
Set up with 3 shot burst
Point the red dot, tap the trigger
And three holes instantly appear
Heavier than you think

Tommy gun m1?  Loud, heavy,
other than short burst, hard to keep
on target

Sub gun I would like to shoot
British Lanchester
View Quote

Ima bet you meant to post this somewhere else.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Ima bet you meant to post this somewhere else.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Custom blast can.
View Quote

I was literally about to say this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

I was literally about to say this.
View Quote
I made myself one lol. For a dedi .22lr tho. Not sure how well Aluminum will last on .223
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By OG1:
I didn't weigh it but it seemed pretty light. I have some titanium tubing and was going to make that and weld on end caps but I don't know if that is legal or not. Seems it would be, I remember seeing surefire trainers with welded on caps but I have no idea. My KUSA KR-9 has a factory aluminum one and it weighs a freaking ton and I want to make a new one. It has a bbl under it however so it is purely cosmetic.
View Quote

No, the original GSG had a barrel shroud that had a similar setup. ATF came back like a year later and said it was a supressor. If it has end caps it will reduce the sound a couple of DB. If it does that its a supressor. There are some blast shields that have end caps that are perforated. Probably best to side with caution if you cannot test to see if it reduces sound at all. Just wanted to throw that out there. Pretty sure what you made is GTG though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

No, the original GSG had a barrel shroud that had a similar setup. ATF came back like a year later and said it was a supressor. If it has end caps it will reduce the sound a couple of DB. If it does that its a supressor. There are some blast shields that have end caps that are perforated. Probably best to side with caution if you cannot test to see if it reduces sound at all. Just wanted to throw that out there. Pretty sure what you made is GTG though.
View Quote
Thank you kindly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top