Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2017 11:00:51 AM EDT
Initial impressions is that the gun feels solid compared tonthe other keltec guns ive handled.
  Ill shoot it this afternoon. I dont expect it to be a kick ass home defense option. But if its halfway decent it shiuld work great for shooting critters at night/early morning when im loading the wood stove lol.  
   Or throw it in the camper/ truck or something.
 Anyone have any must have/do tips?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the tacticool rubber tube sleeve and charging handle cover. You won't be sorry.
My S2K is my most fun gun to shoot. It eats every kind of 9mm ammo I feed it without a hiccup. (Including Federal aluminum case)

It was sighted in straight out of the box and has never jammed or short stroked.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Gen 2 Sub2k recently (3 months ago).  Runs like a champ.  I haven't had any issues to date and its a tack driver (which surprised the hell out of me).  Run it wet and clean it fairly regularly (they are dirty dirty shooters from the blow back action)

I can't speak from experience (yet), but I'd definitely check out MCARBO for some basic upgrades.  They seem to be the place to go for anything sub2k at the moment from the extended charging handle to trigger kit, feed ramp, etc etc etc.

The only thing I really plan on upgrading (when MCARBO finishes it up) is a new metal rear sight which is slightly taller.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Getcha a single strap man purse/backpack, a non-tactical one that looks like you have no fashion sense.  No one will ever pay any mind to the fact that you're carrying around a rifle.  Extra mags, flashlight, torniquet, 1st aid pack now all ride in your go bag that goes everywhere, even sails past legal "No pistol" signs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
mcarbo.com
They have a bunch of upgrades.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Interested in what you think.

Prices have come down to earth and availability seems to have picked up on these. I've been eyeballing the Glock 19 version for years. Seems like a pretty cool gun to own.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My gen 2 glock 17 version has been reliable since day 1. I keep it stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Interested in what you think.

Prices have come down to earth and availability seems to have picked up on these. I've been eyeballing the Glock 19 version for years. Seems like a pretty cool gun to own.
View Quote
Just be aware that the 19/23 grip, while it will take 19/23 mags, is a much shorter grip from the trigger than the 19/23.  Handle one, and handle a 17/22 grip, before you buy the 19/23.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I took her out and shot roughly 5-10 mags through it. Mixed 124gr and 115gr. No malfunctions.
  I did put an extra vortex sparc on it tha I had laying around. I mounted it as far forward as I could that way it would still fold up fairly small just doesn’t latch.
   Seams to Shoot Pritty good. 10yds is very accurate of course it’s sooo close lol.
 25yds was having trouble getting a decent group (standing) till I switched back to 115 gr ammo. Then the groups shrunk right up. Guess she likes the lighter stuff.
  Overall decent toy for the money.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I wanted a sub2k for a while, and they were scarce and over priced for a long time. I got a G17 version in the summer and have taken it to the range a few times. Its a great rifle, especially for the price. Its not may favorite (my UZI and Sterling are just a reliable and more fun) but its a definite keeper especially since I have a lot of glock mags.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a Gen. 2 G17 Kel Tec and really like it. Sighted it in at 25 yards and it groups well. No malfunction of any kind. It is everything I hoped for.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up a G17 version @ Trinity Ordnance for $430, have yet to shoot it, now have to go order a Gen 4 G26.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Midwest Industries folding mount with a Primary Arms micro dot on mine.
I’ve had it since summer of 2016. It has never let me down.
The factory sights are garbage, my only complaint.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
MCARBO springs and flat-face trigger are the two mods I've made to mine. Highly recommend both.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Initial impressions is that the gun feels solid compared tonthe other keltec guns ive handled.

Ill shoot it this afternoon. I dont expect it to be a kick ass home defense option. But if its halfway decent it shiuld work great for shooting critters at night/early morning when im loading the wood stove lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have the .40 version with Beretta 96 mags.  No mods on it, aside from a cheap red-dot site.

I always figured it as a mixture of home defense & travel defense.  Something I can use to clear the home, or fold up and put in my bookbag.

Quoted:
Getcha a single strap man purse/backpack, a non-tactical one that looks like you have no fashion sense.  No one will ever pay any mind to the fact that you're carrying around a rifle.  Extra mags, flashlight, torniquet, 1st aid pack now all ride in your go bag that goes everywhere, even sails past legal "No pistol" signs.
You know a Keltec Sub2000 fits inside a gen 1 Kifaru E&E.

Eventually I may get something different for it, but for now that works well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up the M&P version in 9mm so I can use my pistol mags. Added a couple ProMag 32 rounders as well. Works great, groups well, folds up small, what's not to like? I added the rubber sleeve and an AFG, perfect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
The trigger on mine was rough as a cob when I first got it. I mean I've handled old foreign mil surplus firearms that felt better. Part of the trigger kept dragging across the safety bar.
I'd planned to swap in some aftermarket parts but it's getting better so I'll give it some time and see how it shaped up.

I'd added a red dot on a QD riser mount which is easier to use than irons but recently pulled it off for another build. Not sure if I'll replace it or just stick with irons. While it's great for range use this carbine's strength is in it's simplicity, light weight & compactness. Don't wanna load it down with a bunch of junk if it doesn't really need it.

I did replace the charge handle with a Twisted Industries Sumo handle which added a few ounces to the buffer. Just like the feel of the heavier buffer and this was cheaper than replacing the factory buffer with a brass unit. If I was shooting hot or +P loads I'd probably look at the brass buffer as well though. The Mcarbo two finger handle is a nice option as well, the charge handle is in an awkward place compared to other platforms.

Only issues I've had were with aluminum cased federal ammo, it would not run that at all. I've not tried any steel case but all 9mm brass case from 115 to 147 grain runs fine. Seems to be a bit more accurate with 147 grain and PPU 158 grain although all the 115 grain I have is cheap plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the Midwest Industries folding mount with a Primary Arms micro dot on mine.
I’ve had it since summer of 2016. It has never let me down.
The factory sights are garbage, my only complaint.
View Quote
I second the thoughts on the factory sights....I just can't get them to work right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought one and liked it so much I quickly ordered a second while they had them in stock. Got the 9mm using M&P mags being I have a few M&P's. At only $302 they sure beat a 10 shot Hi Point for the same money.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I can add is it is the funnest gun to shoot in my arsenal...I also added a few upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Bought one and liked it so much I quickly ordered a second while they had them in stock. Got the 9mm using M&P mags being I have a few M&P's. At only $302 they sure beat a 10 shot Hi Point for the same money.
View Quote
That's a helluva deal.  Saw HiPoint carbines down to $260 @ the last show, however.  Mom's feeling the heat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bought one and liked it so much I quickly ordered a second while they had them in stock. Got the 9mm using M&P mags being I have a few M&P's. At only $302 they sure beat a 10 shot Hi Point for the same money.
View Quote
At $302 the price is right. I have owned a few Sub2k's over the years. Often the prices were sky high, up close to $500 with is just too much. At $300-$350 they come into focus.

I will not go into much of my personal feelings of the Sub compared to my other PCC's. The Sub's draw is its small size, light weight, dependability and its ability to be discretely stowed away when folded, and its low price when the market is sane.  The down side of the Sub is a result of its good points. The ergonomics are less than perfect as is its trigger.

My general feeling is that like all machines it is a series of compromises. If you want its good points and can live with its weaknesses then by all means get one. As I said, I have owned them for many years and still have a new one. It shoots quite well with the little Bushnell red dot I use and the round nose 115 gn. bullets. I would not throw hundreds of dollars of bling on it. No matter how much you spend you will still have a $350 rifle inside. If you are going to spend big money buy a better firearm to begin with.

BTW: I did not get the Glock magazine model even though I have lots of those for three other rifles.  I did get the one that will take S&W (two different models) , Sig 226, and Beretta 92 Mags. I have lots of those mags also. For a $12 piece you can swap it out in less than a minute. Oh, and should you want to have a Glock compatible one later KelTec designed the Gen 2 so you can even switch it over yourself by changing out the grip. Its about $50 however, but still, if you can find a super deal on one of the non-Glocks you have the option now. That was not possible on the first generation or on the Sub9.

Love and enjoy the Sub for what it is.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got back from shooting my Gen 2 Glock 17 Sub 2000. Has most of the Mcarbo upgrades ( spring kit, aluminum trigger, aluminum trigger guard, stainless steel feed ramp ). Put 400 rounds of various 115 and 124 grain loads through it. Only hang ups were with the Korean 50 round drum I tried for the first time. 4 failures to feed with it in 50 rounds. Watched a YouTube video on how to take them apart and clean them out and wind the spring tighter to increase the speed it feeds rounds. I'll try it again next time out.

I'm really liking this thing and think the Mcarbo upgrades worthwhile. Now I need a 9mm can and a bucket of 147gr ammo.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where at $302 please?

V
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Probably one of my pistol cal favorite rifles. Kind of reminds me of shooting an M1 carbine from a recoil impulse and handiness

I want to have one in 40 too to eat all the cheap 40 I keep buying from people
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Probably one of my pistol cal favorite rifles. Kind of reminds me of shooting an M1 carbine from a recoil impulse and handiness

I want to have one in 40 too to eat all the cheap 40 I keep buying from people
View Quote
Once I get a 26, I'll put my Gen 1 .40 up in the EE.  But .40's are cheap and available.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#28]
yes please, where at that price??
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Chipper44mag where did you see the M&P version at that price?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top