Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/16/2019 6:20:18 PM EDT
Picked up an 82A1 this morning from a friend of the family. He gave me a deal I just couldn't pass up on a brand new one that has been a safe queen for him. He has a 107 and another 82 he shoots... I bought his extra 82 that sat in his safe. I mean, who really needs three 50cals right? He already did the get both +1.

I really didn't plan on this purchase in any way, and have always thought the Barrett rifles are pretty cool, but never really saw myself buying one. But, here we are... and I got to say I'm pretty freaking stoked about it.

Anyway, in the coming days I'll be looking for a scope, and some ammo. Any advice for a guy who picked up a Barrett on a whim is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about your boating accident
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on where you can shoot that behemoth (I'm jealous, by the way,) a red dot and magnifier is really "fun" to have on it versus a scope. My opinion, of course.
A friend of mine has the short(er) barrett offering and brings it out to the range for first timers and let's them keep the shell casings as a souvenir.... big smiles!
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on where you can shoot that behemoth (I'm jealous, by the way,) a red dot and magnifier is really "fun" to have on it versus a scope. My opinion, of course.
A friend of mine has the short(er) barrett offering and brings it out to the range for first timers and let's them keep the shell casings as a souvenir.... big smiles!
View Quote
100% this. Makes for a great home defense gat. Especially when your home is two miles away being attacked by other homes.

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

100% this. Makes for a great home defense gat. Especially when your home is two miles away being attacked by other homes.

https://i.imgur.com/dW48YEa.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/dW48YEa.jpg
View Quote
Wait, what am looking at here? Lol, I'm a little intrigued and scared at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For short range, say 600 yards or less, I might agree with the other member about a red dot scope on a .50.

Now, here comes the reason to buy the best glass you can afford to put on a .50, you are going to shoot it long range at least once in your life. Show up to the range/area where you plan on doing this and have a red dot on it and you'll cry like a little bitch!!! For the rest of the time you own it and don't have a backup scope for long range shooting.

The day you get to shoot your .50 out to 2000 yards +/- a few hundred yards, will be the day you understand "buy once, cry once"! That shit eating grin will have to removed from your face with a jackhammer! Then throw in the fact that with quality glass, you can actually watch the round fly down range to the target. Yes, it's possible to do as myself and others that own .50's routinely call each others shots as that huge ass bullet displaces a lot of air going down range.

Of course the downside is the price of one of these scopes, which start around $2K and only go up. So save your pennies, use a lesser scope on it until you can afford the one you want and then move the old scope to another rifle and put that sweet scope on your. 50.

Don't forget to relax and enjoy shooting your toy.
View Quote
Thanks brother. This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Who makes a red dot that would hold up to a .50's recoil.
Would be nice on my 18" Safety Harbor 5 shot 'plinker'.
Thank You.
(also have a Steyr 50 HS with a 20X SS mounted on it, has held up well)
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who makes a red dot that would hold up to a .50's recoil.
Would be nice on my 18" Safety Harbor 5 shot 'plinker'.
Thank You.
(also have a Steyr 50 HS with a 20X SS mounted on it, has held up well)
View Quote
Eotech used to. I know , I know! Might lose zero if you jump out of a plane at 30k feet into the desert.

Anyway...

EOTech 552 XR500

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Not sure what optic it is, but it is from this article.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Dude, that's a weird setup.  Doesn't look like the magnifier lines up with the other two.  There has to be a more efficient way to do that.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dude, that's a weird setup.  Doesn't look like the magnifier lines up with the other two.  There has to be a more efficient way to do that.

Doc
View Quote
Whatchu talkin' bout?! Ain't you never heard about a 4x/12x/36x?! That's four axes times three axes times another tree axes! They say one axe per hunnit yards so we're good to sling beans out to 2.04 freedometers give or take
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/zQNH32i.jpg

View Quote
Aimpoint Comp M4S
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, after much deliberation and research I ended up getting a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm Riflescope and a LaRue LT107  scope mount. Hopefully this will do the trick. My wallet is crying like a little bitch now, and truth be told, so am I. Heh, I haven't even bought ammo yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Any advice on transporting this beast to and from the range once the scope is attached? Obviously it doesn't work in the case with the optic attached, so am I just relegated to remove the optic and put it back on at the range? Transport it sans case in two pieces with the optic? I did get the QD mount from LaRue, so I guess I trust it stays zeroed when I slap it back on?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any advice on transporting this beast to and from the range once the scope is attached? Obviously it doesn't work in the case with the optic attached, so am I just relegated to remove the optic and put it back on at the range? Transport it sans case in two pieces with the optic? I did get the QD mount from LaRue, so I guess I trust it stays zeroed when I slap it back on?
View Quote
I thought the rifle would fit in the pelican case that comes with the rifle with scope attached.  I am picking up one of the factory kits that come with scope and rings but was under the impression the Pelican had enough room to hold the rifle in two pieces with scope mounted.  I'm not sure what the point in the Pelican case is if it won't hold the rifle with optic mounted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The factory case has room for a scope but I don't know about that particular combo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The factory case has room for a scope but I don't know about that particular combo.
View Quote
Yep, your absolutely right. It does indeed have room. I added some foam where the scope sits to keep it nice and snug in there too. Seems to work well so far.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Just another option, I carry my AR50 in one of these.  Super heavy duty and the price isn't too bad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EU85JC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Swarovski-Barrett-10X42-PRICE-DROP-/163-1929141/
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Swarovski-Barrett-10X42-PRICE-DROP-/163-1929141/
View Quote
Those are ancient scopes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
SOLD ALL MY SURPLUS AMMO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/zQNH32i.jpg

View Quote
That’s an Aimpoint comp M4S, and it WILL stand up. Eotechs are junk. Period.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#25]
ELCAN Specter DR 1-4x would hold up.  Plus, you get the 4x magnification.  Yes, there is a .50 BDC variant.  Sure, it's expensive, but you've already crossed over into .50 BMG territory.

Of course, the Nightforce ATACR s VPS seem to be the cream of the crop lately.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, after much deliberation and research I ended up getting a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm Riflescope and a LaRue LT107  scope mount. Hopefully this will do the trick. My wallet is crying like a little bitch now, and truth be told, so am I. Heh, I haven't even bought ammo yet.
View Quote
I have a similar setup on mine.  I'm using the 5-20 Gen I and an LT-104 I think.  Had to get the 35mm rings for that mount with the Gen 1.  I've been shooting mine for 6 months with no issues.  I cheat with Strelok Pro for long shots.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny thing about ancient scopes.  They have usually been tested by fire and have some legit internals.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Funny thing about ancient scopes.  They have usually been tested by fire and have some legit internals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. They frequently have outdated reticles and lower quality optics. Those were good scopes but there are better options available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just another option, I carry my AR50 in one of these.  Super heavy duty and the price isn't too bad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EU85JC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
View Quote
Can you zip that up at the muzzle break OK? I've been looking for a case that would fit my AR-50 and zip closed with nothing hanging out.  Ample room for optic without removal?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#31]
You should bring it to the rally in Virginia.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top