Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2018 1:19:39 PM EDT
I've not yet reloaded for .40, but I have acquired 500 180 gr .40 HST pulls, .40 dies and soon a very large box of once fired .40 brass will be showing up on my door.

My M&P likes the factory .40 180 gr HST bullets I carry, so my goal is to duplicate (to the extent possible) the factory ballistics with reloaded pulls.

I'll shoot some factory over my new chrono once I've had a chance to try it out, but from various online sources I think the real world muzzle velocity to target will be close to 1000 fps.

Pistol powders I have on hand are W231, Bullseye, Titegroup, BE-86, Power Pistol and W296.

I'm probably going to be making a powder order before the end of the summer, so if their are better choices out there I'd consider adding another pound to my powder stash.

Any recommendations on a powder to try first?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I load all my high pressure with full power loads of my small cased pistol calibers, 40s&w, 10mm, and 45 Super, with Alliant's Power Pistol powder.  For my G22 and G23 CCW pieces, I load 180grn Speer Gold Dots at 7.2grns which is Alliant's max load listed in their 2017 Load Data.  Power Pistol powder gives good velocity and produces recoil with more of a strong push than a snap.  It gives slightly better velocities, more consistent performance, and lower SDs when it's used with magnum primers.  I use CCI 550 Magnum primers in all my small primer pistol loads and CCI 350 Magnum primers in all my large primer pistol loads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My suggestion is Power Pistol or look at Unique.  It is what Alliant lists on their online reloading data.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I load all my high pressure with full power loads of my small cased pistol calibers, 40s&w, 10mm, and 45 Super, with Alliant's Power Pistol powder.  For my G22 and G23 CCW pieces, I load 180grn Speer Gold Dots at 7.2grns which is Alliant's max load listed in their 2017 Load Data.  Power Pistol powder gives good velocity and produces recoil with more of a strong push than a snap.  It gives slightly better velocities, more consistent performance, and lower SDs when it's used with magnum primers.  I use CCI 550 Magnum primers in all my small primer pistol loads and CCI 350 Magnum primers in all my large primer pistol loads.
View Quote
Thank you @COSteve.  This is exactly the sort of information I was hoping someone could share to give me an informed starting point.  The magnum primer is a good tip.  I think I have some magnum primers in my stash, so I will work up a few loads with Power Pistol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My suggestion is Power Pistol or look at Unique.  It is what Alliant lists on their online reloading data.
View Quote
Thanks @rn22723, I'll be using Power Pistol as my initial powder and working up some loads based on the Alliant data.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I would try Be86 if you are making any defensive loads.  It has burn characteristics similar but not exact to power pistol with flash retardant added

Try both. A lot of fast burn powders are low flash anyhow without the retardants.   It’s a bit complicated though as it can change with factors; calibers, bullet weight, barrel length and other more subtle things.

I have using clays and clays universal up only because I have lots from shotguns days

Edited for spell check screwing up the powder name.  Sorry for not catching it sooner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
My 180gr FMJ .40 loads for USPSA use Titegroup (4.5gr I think). I am at 1000fps with no pressure signs in a G35. Power Pistol can make a big flash, if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
power pistol for hot loads

WST or TG for USPSA-IPSC target load that still make major PF.

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Of those I would use Power Pistol.

Some folks seem to think that Power Pistol is a bit "flashy".  Clearly these folks have never used Blue Dot.

Never even heard of BE 86, had to look it up.  Apparently it's new.  Looks like it would be worth trying.
Might be a touch fast for 180 grain bullets but it's supposed to have flash suppressants, and the manufactures max load claims just over 1000 fps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Universal is a good powder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
BE-86 has worked great for me! I love it. Great accuracy, clean burning and good velocity.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would try Be86 if you are making any defensive loads.  It has burn characteristics similar but not exact to lower pistol with flash retardant added

Try both. A lot of fast burn powders are low flash anyhow without the retardants.   It's a bit complicated though as it can change with factors; calibers, bullet weight, barrel length and other more subtle things.

I have using clays and clays universal up only because I have lots from shotguns days
View Quote
BE-86 is my new "do-all" pistol powder. THR reloading section has an extensive thread full of chrono data and accuracy results. I bought a couple of 8lb'ers and enjoy it a bit more than powder pistol due to the low flash.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll echo BE-86. There was an Alliant employee on one of the other boards who made some comments. IIRC (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), Unique, Power Pistol, and BE-86 are all in the same family. In fact,  I believe Unique and Power Pistol both have BE-XX identifiers. One common complaint about Unique is that it could meter better. BE-86 is a smaller flake, and meters better. I believe BE-86 falls in between Unique and PP in terms of burn rate (in the right spot for 40 S&W). I have used BE-86, Unique, Power Pistol, and Bullseye. They are all great powders. Finishing up my last bit of 32 lbs of Unique. Of the three, Bullseye is the only one I personally wouldn't use in 40 S&W (too fast). I've never found the need to use magnum primers with the Alliant flake powders.

To do bad things, I've recently got into  Longshot. Behind 135 gr Nosler in 40 S&W  It really wakes that cartridge up. What does 40 S&W do that 9x19 doesn't...How about a 135 gr bullet at 1500 fps inside SAAMI pressures.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I finished a charge ladder using Power Pistol and the HST pulls.

Next I’ll be working up a charge ladder with BE-86.

Hopefully I can shoot them this weekend to see how they perform.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Share your results when you get around to it.

I have the BE86 on the shelf but have not done enough work with it yet.    I have to empty the brass before I fill it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I made charge ladders with both Power Pistol and BE-86.  I started at 10% less than Alliant’s max for a JHP, and loaded right up to almost max.  Every round functioned without issue.

In my pistol the HST bullet was more accurate at higher loads and more acccurate with BE-86.  Since it was s bright summer day outside, I did not notice any difference in muzzle flash.

Best accuracy was on par with factory loads.  Recoil was also on par with factory HST.

I’d note this is a 1st gen M&P, complete with stock mushy trigger.  It’s plenty accurate for social work, but far from a target pistol.

No pressure signs on any recovered brass.

I’m going to make a second load group with max BE-86 and shoot over a chrono alongside factory HST.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like things are going well.  Thanks for the progress report.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like things are going well.  Thanks for the progress report.
View Quote
Yes, andvI appreciate the advice early in this thread.

A few more details about this load:

Alliant lists a min COL of 1.12” on their 180 gr .40 JHP loads (both Power Pistol and BE-86).

I measured a bunch of factory Federal HST rounds with 180 gr bullet and they were all right at 1.126”.  I’m seating my HST pulls wiry a setting that produces 1.127” to 1.130” cartridges.  I’m using Lee does in a Lee Classic Turret, and I see a few thousandths of dispersion on my searing depths.

Also using CCI500 primers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been loading 5.4 gr of VV N-320 behind 180gr Zero truncated FMJ and now HAP JHP touched off with WSR primers for many years.  Great shooting major power factor load for USPSA out of an STI 2011.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, andvI appreciate the advice early in this thread.

A few more details about this load:

Alliant lists a min COL of 1.12” on their 180 gr .40 JHP loads (both Power Pistol and BE-86).

I measured a bunch of factory Federal HST rounds with 180 gr bullet and they were all right at 1.126”.  I’m seating my HST pulls wiry a setting that produces 1.127” to 1.130” cartridges.  I’m using Lee does in a Lee Classic Turret, and I see a few thousandths of dispersion on my searing depths.

Also using CCI500 primers.
View Quote
Your COL isn't a big problem, but with that +/- 0.0015 variation, you may also see more dispersion of the hits than if your lengths were more consistent.

I can see two likely causes for this variation.  The first is a mismatch between the bullet profile and the seating punch that prevents the punch from fitting each bullet identically.  The usual fix is to either get/make a custom punch that exactly matches your bullets, or to adapt the punch (with wax, epoxy, etc) to fit.

The second is an issue that some turret presses experience: the turret can be not quite rigid and thus allow the seating die to be just a little different depth now and then.  Usually there's a way to tighten down the turret so that it doesn't move as much.  This is often more of a problem with sizing cases than with seating bullets, but it's a possibility to be aware of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Off the top of my head I think I'm using 6.2 grains of Power Pistol with 180 grain Hornady jacketed bullets seated at 1.135". It duplicates store bought ammo at around 950 fps.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Most folks say it's too dirty, but I have not really noticed,but Blue Dot has produced excellent velocity.
Fully supported chamber only !!!
old school,high velocity powder.
Later
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top