Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 8:51:06 PM EDT
Looking to get a hand primer or bench primer set up.

Been using a Lee breech lock press but it is shitting the bed...won't be buying their stuff again. Replacing the press with a rcbs and need something to prime with.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my RCBS universal hand primer.

Wish I had 2 so I didn't have to switch between large and small.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
was looking at that one.

Does it suck to switch between or is it just inconvenient?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool was recommended to me by several others on this forum.  I've been using it for the last few months, and it has been a real pleasure.

The feel when seating the primers with this unit provides good feedback, and you don't get sore or fatigued hands and arms.

I'm sure there are other suitable benchtop brands/models, but this one definitely works.

Edit:  I'll add that I used the RCBS hand priming tool for a good while before this.  No comparison.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
was looking at that one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

was looking at that one.

Inconvenient. Not difficult. Kinda like switching calibers on a 550. You want to finish all the rounds in that caliber before you switch it out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I also recommend the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool. Mine does use primer tubes but for small batches I just place a primer in the primer cup by hand from the primer flipper tray. Great feel and just the right leverage. Don't want to use hand primers with my older hands. Only thing with the RCBS Automatic tool is you may want to get extra shellholders as it uses standard shellholders. I sometimes like to size, expand, and prime the same case before putting it down. Requires tandem presses and shellholders.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the RCBS hand primer
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was probably one of those people.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449460/automatic-priming-tool

This is a great tool with auto primer feeder.
View Quote
X2, best primer out there. I have a hard time with hand held units as well, but this one makes it really easy. As said above, the feel of seating the primer is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Inconvenient. Not difficult. Kinda like switching calibers on a 550. You want to finish all the rounds in that caliber before you switch it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

was looking at that one.

I'd say it takes less than two minutes to change it over, and one of those is spent remembering how to do it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
For my use, the RCBS Universal Hand Primer was my choice over both the Lee and Hornady. And the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool has proven to be an exceptionally good bench-mounted primer for me.

The RCBS hand primer requires no shell holders, never flips a primer, has good feel, and decent ergonomics for my hand size. It also has a blast shield that slides into place as you squeeze the handle. That's part of what makes primer size changeover not difficult, but slightly more a chore than many would like. I have two myself to avoid the conversion, mostly because I'm frustrated I didn't remember where the parts were or how to do it.

I switched to the RCBS bench mounted primer to avoid stressing my hand. Since a primer tube must be filled, there would have been no benefit to my hand without getting Hornady's 1911 primer tube filler. Note that either way, the bench primer takes a bit longer to use because of the extra step filling the primer tube(s).
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty happy with Lee's hand priming tool. I have this one, but the primer tray is square/dimond shaped instead of round.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using the RCBS hand primer for a bunch of years.  It's great, easy to "feel" primer depth, etc.

That said, I'm tempted by the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool.  Just not sure if it's more of a hassle to load the primer tubes than to just keep on with the tray-based hand primer?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool and like it.  It works great and I have no complaints.  $75 shipped at Amazon.  Link to YouTube video here.

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also like my RCBS Universal Hand Primer.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one and then I'll keep one set up for large primers and the other for small.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool is nice tool.  The Forster Co-Ax Primer tool is nice too.  
I like the K&M Hand Priming tool.  But, still use RCBS Hand Priming Tool.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using the new Lee bench primer for over a year now and love it. It has great leverage good feel and no stupid tubes.

Motor

Oh yeah. Switching from large to small takes less than a minute. Switching shell holders takes seconds. It does use Lee's auto prime shell holders though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been using the new Lee bench primer for over a year now and love it. It has great leverage good feel and no stupid tubes.

Motor

Oh yeah. Switching from large to small takes less than a minute. Switching shell holders takes seconds. It does use Lee's auto prime shell holders though.
View Quote
I have rcbs and Hornady hand primers, got the lee bench prime for Xmas...I don't use the other two anymore. Lee bench prime is tits.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I started with a RCBS universal hand primer.  I'm now running the RCBS automagic bench primer.  Yea the hand primer has not been moved since I got the bench primer
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
This lil guy has primed 1000's of rifle and pistol cases. Literally the best $25 I've ever spent on a reloading item.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#20]
RCBS makes a version of its bench primer that uses APS strips - no loading of primer tubes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#22]
You can mount the Lee to a piece of wood and take it anywhere including your lap but a regular old wooden TV table would be perfect.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought two of the RCBS Universal hand priming tools. They required more force than necessary to seat primers and neither would fully seat primers with any consistency. I returned both. The older RCBS hand primer that used shell holders was a better tool. I used the original round tray Lee models; for the price these were incredible tools.

I've never tried the K&M, but I'll bet it's a good one. I have used the Sinclair and the 21st Century; excellent tools, far better than the others, but they should be based on the price. 21st Century is the only hand priming tool I use now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Love the Lyman hand primer loaded over 600 hundred cases since purchase this winter no issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#25]
It's already been mentioned but I want give a resounding vote in favor of the awesomeness that is the

SINCLAIR PRIMING TOOL !

Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's already been mentioned but I want give a resounding vote in favor of the awesomeness that is the

SINCLAIR PRIMING TOOL !

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_749007603_1.jpg
View Quote
As a career machinist and sometimes tool maker I can appreciate the Sinclair tool.

However for the majority of us priming casings are like a roofer nailing shingles. I'm certain he'd much rather have a semiautomatic air nailer than the finest hammer ever made.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a career machinist and sometimes tool maker I can appreciate the Sinclair tool.

However for the majority of us priming casings are like a roofer nailing shingles. I'm certain he'd much rather have a semiautomatic air nailer than the finest hammer ever made.

Motor
View Quote
Most of my priming is done using a "nail gun" (a Dillon 550).

Like Dano523, I sometimes sit in the living room priming cases.  When I do that,  it is with the Sinclair tool.

It is as fast as it needs to be.  It is a nice tool and is a joy to use.  It transforms your mundane "re-roofing" job into a hobby.

It stands at the exact opposite end of the spectrum opposite the semi-automated and fully automated production systems that so many are fascinated with on this board (i.e., Dillon 1050's and/or Mark 7 automation).

OP never said what he is after. This primer type (along with K&M, 21st Century, etc) is another option.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This lil guy has primed 1000's of rifle and pistol cases. Literally the best $25 I've ever spent on a reloading item.
https://www.rrarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/0/90700L.jpg
View Quote
I saw this before and forgot about it.

I used an old round Lee hand primer for years so I have a small pile of the shell holders.
Then got a RCBS bench mounted which sees all my single stage rounds and is a great tool with great feel.
Looks like Lee might be getting a few of my dollars though, no tube filling other than feeding the progressive would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Trollslayer. Yep you are correct the OP did not specify but he did say "good"  I figured $25 for the Lee is pretty good especially considering how well it works and considering that the Sinclair cost 4x as much and you need to handle every single primer with your fingers.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... you need to handle every single primer with your fingers.
Motor
View Quote
This is completely a non-issue.

The Sinclair is relatively expensive but it is worth the price, as it is a fine tool.  I never regret buying fine tools, as I appreciate them more as time goes by.

By contrast, almost every LEE hand tool I've seen or used was cheaply made.  Many don't really work or don't work for very long, as the cheap construction means an early death (fatigue).  The LEE dies and some of the presses are the exception to this.  They're a solid value for the price.

The real key to all this is finding what the OP wants or wants it for.  Until we know that, we don't know if $10, $100 or what will meet his needs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I have no idea how many primers I use in a year, but it must be at least several thousand. I'm sure many use far more primers than I do. Amortized over a five-, ten-, or twenty-year period, the cost for a quality priming tool is quite insignificant in comparison to the cost of a cheap one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I also use the RCBS benchmount priming tool which Inline Fab makes an adapter for their quick change mount so I can swap it out with one of my presses when I want to use it.

I have the APS version which uses the plastic strips instead of the tubes. I did this for safety reasons vs. the tubes, but if I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the tubes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is completely a non-issue.

The Sinclair is relatively expensive but it is worth the price, as it is a fine tool.  I never regret buying fine tools, as I appreciate them more as time goes by.

By contrast, almost every LEE hand tool I've seen or used was cheaply made.  Many don't really work or don't work for very long, as the cheap construction means an early death (fatigue).  The LEE dies and some of the presses are the exception to this.  They're a solid value for the price.

The real key to all this is finding what the OP wants or wants it for.  Until we know that, we don't know if $10, $100 or what will meet his needs.
View Quote
Really? "a non-issue" Tell that to the 50+ year old with carpal tunnel or other age related problems or simply has large fingers.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Really? "a non-issue" Tell that to the 50+ year old with carpal tunnel or other age related problems or simply has large fingers.

Motor
View Quote
Ah!, well, there is that.  I thought you were referring to contaminating the primers.  Until your post, I've only heard people worry about touching the primer and damaging it in some way.

In that regard I do have very large hands and it still works for me.

Medical conditions are too varied to address in any general way.  They are best dealt with on an individual basis.  If there is a condition, the OP should also spec that.

ASKING FOR HELP

It seems to me, most people don't know how to ask for help.  You have to coax the information out of them.  Then, just when you think you're done, they overlay the issue a medical condition or space limitation or budget constraint (or lack thereof) that totally dominates the problem, is the real reason they asked in the first place, but for some reason withheld that info.  It becomes almost a game.

Sometimes, people don't know the issues and haven't thought it through in enough depth.  In that case, it becomes a Q&A with real learning, connections being made, imbedded in the process.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Joint at base of R-thumb is fused.

Hand primer is not realy usable.
Even with some molly paste on the rotating joints.

RCBS Auto Bench works like a charm and is fast.

You can get into a rhythm of down on the handle to drop a primer, up on the handle, down to seat, remove the shell down to drop, slide on the next shell, down to seat.

You use off fingers to remove the shell and thumb and index to insert next.

APS strips if you are not willing to purchase extra 100 primer tubes and fill then all.
The older RCBS tubes did not hold 100 primers.

Purchased Dillon tubes.
Of course they did not fit the RCBS tool.
A few minutes on the lathe and the stepped end fit perfectly.

If you do not have a lathe a drill press and a hand file will reduce the OD to fit just fine.
It is just an aluminum tube.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
APS strips if you are not willing to purchase extra 100 primer tubes and fill then all.
View Quote
The APS strips each hold 25 primers, and I have the RCBS APS strip loader that makes loading the strips a lot easier:

http://rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Tools/APS-Primer-Strip-Loader.aspx

As Dryflash says, I prime on the press nowadays for most of my loading, especially large batches of handgun ammo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.rrarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/0/90700L.jpg
View Quote
After years of using  Lee and RCBS handloaders I also bought this. Works great! Just follow the directions on proper lever procedure.
Much easier on aging hands.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have rcbs and Hornady hand primers, got the lee bench prime for Xmas...I don't use the other two anymore. Lee bench prime is tits.
View Quote
They really hit a home run with it. I'm a huge fan.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted: . . . Until your post, I've only heard people worry about touching the primer and damaging it in some way.
. . . Medical conditions are too varied to address in any general way.  They are best dealt with on an individual basis.  If there is a condition, the OP should also spec that.. . .
View Quote
As I've aged my fingers are less able to (eg) pick up small items, separate  a sheet of paper from a ream, etc.

Whether my finger tips have less feel, or are not as supple/flexible, or both . . . I don't know. Don't know, don't really care, it just "is".

IME many similarly aged folks aren't visibly aware of it; they just know they don't like to do the small stuff any more. Since it's not top of mind, and picking up primers one-by-eachy by hand isn't either, it may not come up until after the suggestion of manually inserting each primer into a cup actually comes up.

Though you make a good point, other "medical" conditions often aren't top of mind either.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#41]
5 days of posts and the OP has not yet returned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
been busy loading, sorry for not responding.

Have a dillon 650 that i load 9mm on so ive been cranking those out, just need the hand primer for rifle ammo.

price isnt really an issue, ill gladly pay more for a quality unit.

still havent decided what i want but im not in a huge rush.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Try asking in the HTF if some one local has one you can try.  I lucked into that that situation, and tried the Coax vs the RCBS bench primers.  I bought the RCBS and have been a proponent of it since.

Lapua 260 brass and a hand primer are not a pleasant combination when you have 200 to prime.  I was done after 50.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought 3 Lee priming tools 30 years ago and am still using them.  I load a lot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I use the Lee hand priming tool, but I only use it for 6.5 CM. All of my higher volume calibers are loaded and primed on my 650. I load the 6.5 on a single stage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top