Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2020 9:35:33 PM EDT
Hi All,

I've had my Dakota safe for a decade now.  It keeps both guns and ammo.  It sits in the basement boiler room.

During the winter the temperature is around 65 and the humidity is between 40 and 45.

In the summer the Temp is around 70 and the humidity over 50.

This past month it's been around 65 and just now pushing 70...

I found a bit of surface rust on one of my lever guns.  Something I've never seen before.

I always keep an Evidry 333 in there.  They are rated for way more than the cubic feet I have.  U call bullshit on that.. anyway.

I stuck a small bucket of damp rid in there but it doesn't seem like it is working.

Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the canisters of reusable silica gel in addition to my golden rod.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a dehumidifier and be done.

No need for the rods and silica packs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get that DampRid stuff out of your gun safe. If it spills and gets onto your guns it will corrode them. I had a big mess in mine when I accidentally spill one of those buckets and the metal buttplates on several rifles became a rusted mess.

I had to remove wood bottom planks, divider, and shelves as well as all the lower carpeting because I could not get that stuff out.  It kept corroding the guns after several attempts to clean it up.  

Just use those rechargeable dehumidifiers. I keep 2 in my safe and they work great (I live in S. FL no rust in years).
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get that DampRid stuff out of your gun safe. If it spills and gets onto your guns it will corrode them. I had a big mess in mine when I accidentally spill one of those buckets and the metal buttplates on several rifles became a rusted mess.

I had to remove wood bottom planks, divider, and shelves as well as all the lower carpeting because I could not get that stuff out.  It kept corroding the guns after several attempts to clean it up.  

Just use those rechargeable dehumidifiers. I keep 2 in my safe and they work great (I live in S. FL no rust in years).
View Quote

What he said on damp rid.  Had a buddy have bona fides disaster.

Depending on your cubic space, I would use one or two goldenrod type devices.  They do fail so you gotta check them.  Moreover. Use brownells anti rust fluid.  Not gun oil but specific fluid for the purpose.  Wipe them all once a year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL.

My damp rid bucket tipped over a few weeks back.  Got on the floor board.  I took it out in the sun and dried it as best as I could.  The product says that water is the only by product, but I found it greasy like and almost undrying.

Golden rod came in yesterday.  I have a portable dehumidifier, but it won't fit inside the safe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Add VCI capsules and EvaDry rechargeable desiccant dehumidifiers to your safe. Also, I prefer using a lightbulb over a golden rod. The lightbulb does a better job of heating the space. A dehumidifier in your basement placed near the safe will help. Be sure it drains to the exterior vs having a bucket you need to empty. I also like placing a safe elert inside the safe, place a separate weather meter outside the safe. That way you can compare ambient conditions to the conditions inside the safe (temp and humidity).
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Damp Rid is a terrible product. I had an accidental spill, and it destroyed a couple of boots and clothing items.

I would try to get that safe out of the boiler room, as those rooms seem to always be hot and humid. If you have no other place, then you can try a dehumidifier.

Dealing with that type of humidity is hard to control.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a Browning safe for 35 years. Put a Goldenrod in it and it is still working. Never any rust on expensive blued firearms (think Pythons, Browning and other well finished types). Keep thinking it will fail any day but still working. Wouldn’t think of using anything else.

15 years In northern Illinois and 20 years in south Florida.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The golden rod and similar solutions are the most sturdy and consistent way to keep a closed container from having humidity issues.

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been using a Bullfrog Rust Blocker Emitter Shield and a Golden Rod in my Liberty Safe. There is a hydrometer in the safe and I've been observing 51% humidity and about 3 degrees higher temperatures than compared to the room temperature. Room humidity is about 60 to 70 percent on hot days. No issues with rust. I hate those rechargeable dehumidifiers or silica gel packs
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dehumdifer would help.
Golden rod would help abit more.

I spray all my guns with Birchwood Casey Barricade, a light mist and wipe off the excess and you will be good for awhile.

Your lever guns spray with Barricade and rub with some "0000" steel wool. it will remove the rust and not hurt the Blue finish.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Products like Damp Rid work like a sponge. But once they are full , they stop working.
Also don't store ammo in a safe, In a house fire you pretty much made a bomb.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My basement has similar environment to OP.  Have had a goldenrod working for 20 years.  I also use a dehumidifier down there in the spring and fall and don't let it get above 65%.  Never a hint of  rust.  Some guns will go untouched for more than 3 years before getting a fresh wipe down with Barricade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a big TL-30 Amsec safe that has no way to run a wire to or drill a hole into to run a wire.  Is my best bet Eva-Dry type options?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a big TL-30 Amsec safe that has no way to run a wire to or drill a hole into to run a wire.  Is my best bet Eva-Dry type options?
View Quote

yep the eva dry is your best bet,or find someone to drill a hole in it where you want the power to go in and add a goldenrod..you may think it is undrillable but id venture to bet most any skilled tradesman would have a hole in there for a power cord in under 30 min easy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve had composite TL30X6 drilled for power. It can be done.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had a Goldenrod in my safe for the past 8 years... guns that in the past would show surface rust on a cloudy day (1st gen M&P slides etc) have been just fine ever since.

I've heard they can crap out without any visible sign, so I just tap mine when I open the safe... as long as it's warm to the touch, it's working.

I will likely put one in any future safe I own as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top