Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2018 11:03:33 PM EDT
I ordered a type III rear sight for my garand with the intentions of making the rear peep the larger.  The reason is my Astigmatism is bad enough I can not fire my rifle accurately.  I know on my A4 that the close combat peep is a pretty
good size to go with.Does anyone know the size off hand?Is there any reason i should not do this?  And yes I am keeping the original peep with the rifle.

Update
Ordered a replacement sight from Apex Gun Parts.  Shipping was fast. I did have an issue with an AK sling not being included but I called and they were very helpful in getting it to me.  The sight had some kind of synthetic string in it as well as cosmoline.  I degreased it and drilled it out using a vise and hand drill.  The front of the peep is cone shaped and worked well as a guide. I then sooted the sights.  I will report back with an accuracy test.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I have a burris.  the astigmatism makes it look like a slash    . One plus to irons is they work for me. Makes me sad.  I will let you guys know how it comes out
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I opened mine up to 0.125" and it made a world of difference for me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I opened mine up to 0.125" and it made a world of difference for me.
View Quote
Thats a 1/8 correct? . I am wondering how wide I can go before I am doing no good
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, that's 1/8".  I'm not sure I would want to go any bigger than that, the rear starts to ghost out at that diameter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it.  Thanks.  Soght should be here tomorrow. Hoping to get to it Sunday or monday time permitting
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Turned out good at 1/8 . I will drop the bit in my A4 combat sight and see the comparison. I still see an oval distortion .Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
OP updated.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
@lafmedic1  Any range time updates? I'm curious as to how this worked out for you because I have considered doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I went a few days ago and shot for hunting season. I was facing into the sun so the glare didnt help . My
group at 25 was better and I managed to hit a cow skull I had on fence at 100 yards 4 for 4 rounds. I still had some distortion but not nearly as "oval" shaped before . The real test will be in lower light conditions this hunting season as I am in a wooded lease. I will update some more . Hope this helps and I know its not scoentific
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#11]
ETA , Apex sells the rear for 10 bucks . Its no big loss if this doesnt work for you
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I got one of these for my "shooter" M1.  Makes even using the NM front sight blade work for me.

b jones sights.com

I also put an Amega Ranges scout scope mount and LER 2X7 scope on that M1.  If I was hunting with it that's what I use.

The Amega Ranges (there are other companies that make similar mounts) replaces the lower handguard and can be removed if you want to go back to GI configuration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top