Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2021 11:41:02 AM EDT
Already payed a visit to the shop and met with the owner Mike, great guy, and decided to jump in.  I know...I know...almost impossible to reload for and ammo starts at $21/round.  That part I have put to bed in my mind and just decided to buy the ammo, enough that I'll ever need, along with the cannon. Has anyone here ever ordered one?  If so, can you advise me ahead of time about any regrets you may have had about anything at all...if any?  Did you need to get the suppressor?  if so, how did it affect recoil? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I though hard about a 20mm before I bought my 50 but the ammo killed it for me. One of these days I’ll look into it again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Mag fed version with full shroud black finish. Mike was telling me that with the suppressor, it sounds like a 9mm.  Is that right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Semi related...Last time I was down there manatee had shut down the 1k range. Is it open again?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you take any pics when you were there?

If/when you get it, post some pics of it here, guys would definitely like to see it. Then take it to the range so that we can get an AAR with plenty of pics.
View Quote

I'll post up pics when I get it for sure.  I understand the ATF wait these days is between four and eight months and I can verify that because I'm 6 months into waiting on a suppressor application to get on the right desk.  

I didn't take any pics.  There were no complete units built and the shop is quite cluttered...so I'm presuming it's not for the public eye. The shop is in several units and Mike gave me a tour of all of them except the ones he uses for military contracts.  I did get to see 20mm Lahti AP being made from scratch....SS case and all!  Vulcan projos have become so short in supply that he's making them too. That's a pita as they have to be sent out to get powder coated.  So far, Vulcan cases are still somewhat available but he said he will turn them out if he has to but there goes the price. You have to use a shop press to resize those cases!  I'm going to buy several hundred rounds with the gun so I don't have the ammo worries.  As I shoot them, I'll take the cases back as he will reload for you.

I really enjoyed the visit and Mike is a super nice guy.  Not too many guys will take a few hours out of their day to show a customer the operation and then sit down afterwords and with you for Q&A session.  It was a great field trip for a gun nut that likes the heavy hitters.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]
im sent
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the opportunity to shoot one several years ago.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Gonna give you a hell of a source here, so jump on this asap when you read it.

Theres a surplus store in Ogden Utah called Smith and Edwards. Call em up and see if they can ship things you buy from them. Maybe work a deal or sweeten it somehow.

They have a metric fuck ton of 20mm vulcan blue training projectiles and pulled cartridge cases sitting in big bins at their store. (Its in the surplus military section)

801-731-1120
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Theres a surplus store in Ogden Utah called Smith and Edwards. Call em up and see if they can ship things you buy from them. Maybe work a deal or sweeten it somehow.

They have a metric fuck ton of 20mm vulcan blue training projectiles and pulled cartridge cases sitting in big bins at their store. (Its in the surplus military section)

801-731-1120
View Quote

Thanks in advance!  How long ago did you see that fuck ton of components?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!  How long ago did you see that fuck ton of components?
View Quote

About 3 years ago while TDY out to utah. It was a literal bin filled with them.

I cant imagine they’re a hot ticket item, since there might be a whopping 20 people in the US with a 20mm rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

About 3 years ago while TDY out to utah. It was a literal bin filled with them.

I cant imagine they’re a hot ticket item, since there might be a whopping 20 people in the US with a 20mm rifle.
View Quote

Will call them tomorrow....thanks again for the tip.  Per the owner of Anzio...there are 120 owners of his 20's now.  Not sure if that's all models or the mag fed bolt action I was there inquiring about.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

801-731-1120
View Quote

Yup...gave them a call and they still have them.  They are high on the price and will not ship.  
Bullets = $3 ea
Cases = $5 ea

I can get them to my door for the same price as they want at point of sale. Thanks for trying to help...much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup...gave them a call and they still have them.  They are high on the price and will not ship.  
Bullets = $3 ea
Cases = $5 ea

I can get them to my door for the same price as they want at point of sale. Thanks for trying to help...much appreciated!
View Quote

Where are you buying components?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

GB and random sites that have small quantities of old shelf stock.  Not much out there at any kind of price though. Found percussion primers for, wait for it, $3 each!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

GB and random sites that have small quantities of old shelf stock.  Not much out there at any kind of price though. Found percussion primers for, wait for it, $3 each!
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

just use BMG primers....
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

just use BMG primers....
View Quote

Will the BMG primers ignite all that extra powder?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, I really hope you bring that out to the Hernando MG shoot in February.
I'm guessing that at $21/round you won't be shooting it a lot, but I'd love to see it thwacking cars out there.
Heck, I'll give you some cash for a couple of trigger pulls.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Given the price of cases in the dollars per each almost seems reasonable to just have a job shop with a Swiss lathe make a run.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People have been using 50 BMG primers for 20mm guns, you might have to ask around on other boards.

I'm pretty sure that you'll need adaptors that others have talked about above. Finding the right company to get them from is the issue. You can try www.cdvs.us they're a vet owned company and deal in large caliber stuff.
View Quote

I did find the bushings on GB but still haven't determined if the primer pocket is the same for electric and percussion.  Still not sure if I'll load or not.  If I have to full length size the case, I may give up because of the cost involved to get set up.  Jester here thought if the chamber is tight enough on the Anzio, I may be able to get away without resizing the entire case. Big issues when doing that.  Shop press, $900 dies, custom shell holder needs to be made up.....All I have is 16lbs of 867 and 500 Arsenal primers that I got years ago before the crazy prices started.  If all fails, I can still use that stock for my 50.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, I really hope you bring that out to the Hernando MG shoot in February.
I'm guessing that at $21/round you won't be shooting it a lot, but I'd love to see it thwacking cars out there.
Heck, I'll give you some cash for a couple of trigger pulls.
View Quote

Won't have it by then. I haven't ordered it yet.  I'm still waiting on my first can so I'm going to hold off ordering anything else class 3 until first attempt comes through.  Sounds like fun but I have been there once before and the RSO's are fucking Nazis there.  I didn't enjoy myself at all with those control freaks up my asshole with a microscope. I doubt I'd ever go back.  Is it different at a machine gun shoot?  I would think they would be even worse. I wouldn't mind bringing the 50 over and a bunch of APs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know who took over in Kent Lomonts place after his passing? I bet he had a pretty good stash of big bore stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone know who took over in Kent Lomonts place after his passing? I bet he had a pretty good stash of big bore stuff.
View Quote

Kathy Poling (sp?) of Elite Iton, one of his ex-wives, handled the estate IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#27]
A friend had one of the mag-fed ones, but he only ever single shots it.

Components are drying up but still out there.  It’s a matter of recognizing them when you see them and buying at great, good, and fair prices.  Someone once told me “You don’t overpay for gun stuff.  You just bought it too early.”

Nearly bought a mag fed one with a can.  But then I got a VERY sweet deal on a Lahti from the estate of the original Amnesty registrant.  He bought it from the back of a gun magazine in the mid-1960s.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I still want to build one on a Pac Nor blank.  I have a 4" bar of 4340 set aside for the action and just intended to turn my own projectiles.  I should buy the barrel before Pac Nor decides to quit making them.

@prebans there's no issue registering a DD like this in WI is there?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still want to build one on a Pac Nor blank.  I have a 4" bar of 4340 set aside for the action and just intended to turn my own projectiles.  I should buy the barrel before Pac Nor decides to quit making them.

@prebans there's no issue registering a DD like this in WI is there?
View Quote

@Kuraki

So long as it doesn’t have a happy switch, nothing weird.  A non-explosive DD isn’t even in statute.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks. I thought there was some odd DD exclusion but maybe that was just explosives.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Always loved these, wondered how they would do at an ELR match.

Also know that the FBI bought a couple of these many years ago, curious what they did with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Always loved these, wondered how they would do at an ELR match.

Also know that the FBI bought a couple of these many years ago, curious what they did with them.
View Quote

My guess is they wouldn't fare well at an ELR match. If someone had some match grade projectiles made that would be a good start. Wonder if the BC info is readily available for the training projectiles. Seems like the hot ticket are the big 30's and 40's. It's weird when 338's are the little guys.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Just seen this thread.. I have one of Mikes mag fed 20mm rifles. Have logged sometime behind the trigger on it and did some mods on it since I have had it. Think I have had it since 2010. When I had it built I picked up the 14.5 conversion with it also but have yet to see any of it produced by Anzio. I have some mil spec rounds but at $50 plus per round not to motivated to pop them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just seen this thread.. I have one of Mikes mag fed 20mm rifles. Have logged sometime behind the trigger on it and did some mods on it since I have had it. Think I have had it since 2010. When I had it built I picked up the 14.5 conversion with it also but have yet to see any of it produced by Anzio. I have some mil spec rounds but at $50 plus per round not to motivated to pop them.https://i.imgur.com/6VAYz1M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GAhR18k.jpg
View Quote

I have yet to order one.  I'm still waiting on approval for my first attempt at a class three item.  If I can't get that, there is no sense in ordering a gun from Mike.  Ammo is an issue but Mike said he could make me a shell holder so I could use a shop press to full length size cases and ch4d makes a set of dies for around $800.  I can use 50bmg primers with a bushing so I'll probably load for it as I have 16 lbs of virgin wc867 tucked away to fill the 20's if all goes as planned.

I never thought I would take pity on a squirrel until I saw your pics.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve been searching the internet for days trying to build this exact mount. PM sent.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top