Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 8:16:56 AM EDT
There is a local auction close to me that has an iron sighted .357 currently at $575

And scoped .44mag at $490

Both older JM guns, with visible surface rust. They would require a good detail strip and oil,steel wool, and cold blue.

Currently winning a dept store 336 at $300.

What’s the top end of these?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Blued pre-safety 94's bring upwards of $1K around here.
Post-safety models $600-800.
Remlins about the same.
The stainless guns bring $1200-1500.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The degree of "rust" is a concern but they are at least shooters.

Like real estate, they aren't making them any more.

Yes , I understand there are other names like Rossi and Henry and Ruger/Marlin could come on line at some point but right now the old JMs are on top of the pile .

Unfortunately that drives demand and price and in general any auction can get stupid crazy.

Any winning bid at this point may stab you in the wallet and bring a tear to your eye but six months or a year down the road that same number  might seem like a decent deal.

I am a old fart fighting all the stuff that comes with age but have the advantage that I bought more than a few S&W revolvers and lever guns both Marlin and Winchester back in the day.
Before someone asks, nope , don't want to sell any
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Just bid $500 on a Remlin 94/CB .357.  I don't expect to win it. I will probably be out bid within the hour. That would make it around $610 after tax, shipping, and transfer.

I already have a JM CBII.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a dark 1894 in 44 a few weeks ago for $600 it’s like new
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a dark 1894 in 44 a few weeks ago for $600 it’s like new
View Quote

Seeing as they were close to $1k when available that’s a steal.  I’ve seen them as much as $2300+ on gun broker and they obviously sell because they disappear.  Not calling you a liar but I’d love to see this $600 dark you ran away with!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah man! Jump on both of those if you can. They worth twice what you posted...

The .357 is always going to be worth more then the 44 ....in some cases almost double.

I'll never buy another lever gun in 44 mag, and I reloaded for it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The .357 is always going to be worth more then the 44 ....in some cases almost double.

View Quote

Curious why not?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not a huge fan of the 1894, and especially not in pistol calibers.  To me it is a clunky action, but is unique in being a very small and light action for a 30/30.  With pistol calibers, it is not smaller or lighter than most of it's competition.  I suspect the only reason it was offered in pistol calibers was it allows a scope and was cheaper to produce than 1892s.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seeing as they were close to $1k when available that’s a steal.  I’ve seen them as much as $2300+ on gun broker and they obviously sell because they disappear.  Not calling you a liar but I’d love to see this $600 dark you ran away with!!
View Quote

If I knew how to post a pic on here.I would
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Curious why not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious why not?

Yes, I want to know also. I did read something more than ten years ago about some .44 lever guns not being accurate, but I’m probably mis-remembering the details.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, I want to know also. I did read something more than ten years ago about some .44 lever guns not being accurate, but I’m probably mis-remembering the details.
View Quote

That's been my experience. The problem is that not all manufacturers make their barrels the same diameter. If you reaload then it's not such a big problem. If your barrel is larger you can just use a larger dia bullet for better accuracy.

I believe the reason they do this is pressure related. To big a projectile and things can go BOOM instead of bang.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's been my experience. The problem is that not all manufacturers make their barrels the same diameter. If you reaload then it's not such a big problem. If your barrel is larger you can just use a larger dia bullet for better accuracy.

I believe the reason they do this is pressure related. To big a projectile and things can go BOOM instead of bang.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I see. I didn’t know that. Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh, I see. I didn’t know that. Thanks for that info!
View Quote

I'm sure that there are many accurate 44 mag lever guns out there that use factory ammo. My buddy has a SS Marlin in 44 mag that works very well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s been my experience with the couple examples I’ve personally tested. Not accurate with factory ammo anyway. I’m sure you could slug the barrel and load an appropriately sized cast bullet to tighten those groups up though. If I remember correctly, they’re about a 4”+/- @ 50 yards gun. I’ve seen a guy with one post a 8” group @ 50 yards and he couldn’t figure out why even after having it looked at by a competent gunsmith. The .357 has always been a lot more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't SAAMI specs different for .44 handguns and rifles? I've read the same issues and seem to recall reading spec was .429 and .431 respectively; I think I've also read of Rossi's being larger than that, somewhere around .433.

I suck and the sights suck, but I can hit about 5-6" groups standing at 50 yards with my .44X (180 grain Remington SP's). I haven't scoped the gun yet. I don't have anything else in .44 so if I end up having to use larger diameter bullets for reloading it's not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Aren't SAAMI specs different for .44 handguns and rifles? I've read the same issues and seem to recall reading spec was .429 and .431 respectively; I think I've also read of Rossi's being larger than that, somewhere around .433.

I suck and the sights suck, but I can hit about 5-6" groups standing at 50 yards with my .44X (180 grain Remington SP's). I haven't scoped the gun yet. I don't have anything else in .44 so if I end up having to use larger diameter bullets for reloading it's not the end of the world.
View Quote
Yes, that's right. SAAMI specs the different dimensions. I had issues with my 1894 grouping poorly until I stepped up to .431 240 grain jacketed bullets.  I also drove the velocity up above 1700 fps with a generous helping of Ramshot Enforcer. With a red dot at 50 yards I regularly get his now:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got JM stamped 1894s in both 38/357 and 44 Mag. Both in highly desirable models.

1894CB LTD in 38/357 and an 1894P (ported) Guide Gun in 44 Mag.  Both are slicker than owl poop and pie plate accurate, with open sights, out to 100 yards.

Both love whatever I feed them although they both have their favorites.

I have been offered, on more than one occasion, $1200.00 for the CB LTD and $900-$1100 for the ported GG.

Anything JM stamped is bringing a premium these days. Been to several gun shows recently in TN, NC, SC and GA and it's the same everywhere ... JM stamped Marlins are bringing top dollar.

All of my many Marlins are JM stamped from various periods.  The Remlins (I don't own one) are going cheap because everyone is trading them in for the Ruglins (I want one) which, from what I have seen and heard, are better than ever.

Anyways OP, take all of this fwiw but ... it's hard to go wrong with a JM stamped Marlin at that price if it is 85% or above.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Note on pussy pad: Because I'm old and have had rotator cuff surgery and open heart surgery and the 44 Mag and 45-70 and 450 Marlin and 444 all rock my shoulder and sternum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top