Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2020 12:06:34 AM EDT
Is there a light forum? If so I didn't see it.

Haven't bought a light in well over a decade. Was running an indoor lights out rifle/pistol match and my old Streamlight shit the bed in the middle.  Some twiddling got it working again but now I don't trust it. Looking for something new, LED of course and ideally made in USA.

Never could quite swallow the price of a Surefire, but then see how that turned out. Anything else competitive? Probably going to replace the light on my AR and add one to my Glock.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefire. I like the X300.

Honestly waiting for something to crap out prevents you from being able to be selective in your shopping. A few months back they were going for $160 on at least one site.

Might be able to snag a deal on one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surefire. I like the X300.

Honestly waiting for something to crap out prevents you from being able to be selective in your shopping. A few months back they were going for $160 on at least one site.

Might be able to snag a deal on one.
View Quote

Thanks. Thought this one would last forever
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lights and lasers forum under the AR15 tab
View Quote

I knew it, dangit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Olight valkyrie
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Olight
View Quote

Gross.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Modlite.

</thread>
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Surefire, Streamlight, InForce. They all work well for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Streamlight, but Surefire is my go-to.

The price of a Surefire is kind of hard to swallow, especially if you want to put a light on all your guns, but I just decide based on what I really expect out of the weapon/light.  So some of my stuff have Streamlights on them while others have Surefires.  Certain things arent worth being cheap with.  

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Arisaka Defense for all long gun mounted light needs, including the mounts. They are the bomb.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Last yr I bought a x300 for my bedside pistol to add to my decade old led g2 handheld. OMG the new stuff is so much brighter.

And another thread showed me how well the x300 can be put upside down right in front of the ar sight if you just mount the f sight back an inch or so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
X300
X300V
TLR7
Arisaka 300
Arisaka 600
Inforce W/IR
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Arisaka 300 is indeed a badass light in a compact package but [begin bitch session] I've been disappointed with its performance compared to my experience with 2-cell lights (e.g., Surefire G2x @ 600 lumens and Fenix TK10 and TK11 @ 295 lumens) which totally light up the room.  I realize it's not fair comparing apples to oranges with a 1-cell to 2-cell comparison.  But... I'm kinda underwhelmed by the brightness.  

ETA: When I'm LARPing around inside the house in the dark the 2-cells give me full, instant visibility into every nook and cranny I'm spotlighting -- no problems whatsoever.  But with the Arisaka 300, I'm much slower to positively identify what is being illuminated and I have to focus my eyes/brain harder to process what is/isn't present under the beam of light and peripheral visibility is low, too.  Even outdoors the 2-cells are far superior.  Oh well.

Maybe the Modlight PLHv2 will scratch the itch for a tiny, mini-scout form-factor with BIG light output.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Be sure to check Arms Unlimited for some good deals on Surefire Lights.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Lights-Lasers-s/1817.htm
View Quote

Wow.  $199 for x300.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Arisaka 300 is indeed a badass light in a compact package but [begin bitch session] I've been disappointed with its performance compared to my experience with 2-cell lights (e.g., Surefire G2x @ 600 lumens and Fenix TK10 and TK11 @ 295 lumens) which totally light up the room.  I realize it's not fair comparing apples to oranges with a 1-cell to 2-cell comparison.  But... I'm kinda underwhelmed by the brightness.  

ETA: When I'm LARPing around inside the house in the dark the 2-cells give me full, instant visibility into every nook and cranny I'm spotlighting -- no problems whatsoever.  But with the Arisaka 300, I'm much slower to positively identify what is being illuminated and I have to focus my eyes/brain harder to process what is/isn't present under the beam of light and peripheral visibility is low, too.  Even outdoors the 2-cells are far superior.  Oh well.

Maybe the Modlight PLHv2 will scratch the itch for a tiny, mini-scout form-factor with BIG light output.

View Quote

I like Arisaka and Malkoff, but that plhv2 will scratch yore itch
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, comparing a single cell to a two cell, the two cell will always win.

The newer AD 2-cell lights with “potato masher” Malkoff heads are amazing. I’ve been swapping out everything on carbines with these. Costly, but they are so bright with a nice beam.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with a Surefire X300u.
It was something like $185 shipped from BigTex Outdoors pre covid.
Its bright.  I need a couple more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

you could put a 2-cell arisaka head on a 300 body and run a 16340
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I like SF x300U’s for pistols and Cloud Defensive OWL’s for rifles/SBR’s.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Surefire for anything serious

My younger brother has a TLR-1 on his HD AR Pistol and says it works great, but he doesn’t take any classes
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#22]
As above, there is a subforum. For rifles I’m very partial to the OWL. I like the throw and warm hue, and that there are no wires to snag or accidentally disconnect. If I didn’t go that way I’d go with the Modlight OKW or Surefire DF. For handguns the 300u is the standard, but Streamlight gets an honorable mention and will work interchangeably for most users most of the time (and usually while being considerably shorter than the 300u, an important consideration for concealed carry).
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like SF x300U’s for pistols and Cloud Defensive OWL’s for rifles/SBR’s.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had Surefires for almost two decades and never had any failures with them. I've lost a few and my dog chewed one up that now sits in my truck glovebox, but for a quality light that will work for a long time I trust them. I have less experience with Streamlight and do not believe them to be quite as rugged, but they are a pretty good value.

I know that throw is en vogue and spill isn't seen as an important selection criteria anymore, which is why Modlite seems to be the most popular now, but I don't think they are any more durable than a Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Surefire is probably the best, but I have found my Streamlight Pro Tac Scout RM1 to be a really good rail mount weapon light.  It just works.  Maybe not "slide down a rocky mountainside in Afg" Surefire durable, but not far from it at a much more friendly price point.  The RM 1  mount is interchangeable with Surefire scout mounts - same base pattern and spacing.

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Surefire, streamlight. Depends on your budget and intent.

I always have a streamlight protac-2l in my pocket. That thing has been so abused over the last 5-6 years its not even funny. When it gets nasty I throw it in the sink and wash it with gojo or dawn. One guy in GD lost his in the fall, found it in his lawn during spring. Picked it up, clicked it on. Back in the pocket.

I've killed two lights. A tlr3 and 4. First was a 3 with probably 1krds of 12ga. They had me mail it in and sent me a new one. The new one has been good for the past 4-5 years through at least 5k 9mm. It's also been soaked in salt water then left for a week. The tlr4 got the lens smashed out from firing a 10" 5.56 next to a barricade. That one was all me, so I ordered a new bezel and it was good. Laser didn't even lose zero.

I have two of their rail mount big lights, the protac hlx. One is basically a safe queen, but the other lives next to a 16" 5.56 compensator. Usually it'd suppressed so that's moot, but so far probably 1k rds in loud mode. It just eats that blast with ZFG. I don't baby the thing either, it's been out in the rain, sub-zero, banged into trees, ammo cans, etc.

I say buy streamlight with confidence, just mindful of its intended use. Pistol lights don't belong on pump-12s...

I also have a x300-ua. It hasn't been abused much, but it does get carried quite often. I like it.

There's an aging surefire g2 mounted to a rifle I have, using a ring mount. That light has been horribly abused as a handheld, then retired when I got the protac handheld. Its namely a safe queen these days, as the rifle has been retired as a whole. Its good to go. Just change the batteries every 6 months.

Both brands are excellent, sometimes I think surefire rides on its own reputation though. I'd like to think SF will be tougher. It's probably more like comparing a BCM to a DD.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#27]
1. Streamlight TLR-1 HL
2. Surefire G2X LE single output
3. Streamlight Pro Tac RM1
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1. Streamlight TLR-1 HL
2. Surefire G2X LE single output
3. Streamlight Pro Tac RM1
View Quote

I just got the Streamlight Pro Tac RM2, first impressions are good.  Looking forward to training with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Surefire
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Surefire x300u's were $169 bucks a few weeks ago? Damn..I can't find them for cheaper than $270 anywhere now...
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I just got the Streamlight Pro Tac RM2, first impressions are good.  Looking forward to training with it.
View Quote

Got mine on a Proctor low pro mount snug up to a KMR and it was so close I had to shave a corner off the mounting ears. You can’t find a cheaper light, with those features, that mounts that close. It’s a scout killer for sure.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Oh noooos!! A defense contractor donates to politicians!!! How dare they try to butter the bread!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Arisaka....
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#35]
If I were in need for another light, it would be the Cloud Defense OWL
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Surefire is top notch and always gets top marks. I'd readily recommend a Surefire X300 series light.  That said, I've carried the Streamlight TLR-1 (later HL when it came out) on duty for over 10 years. No issues with durability or reliability; that's use on duty in patrol in the varying , schizophrenic climate of WI (extremes in heat, cold, snow, rain, etc) and being shot a lot and/or dropped occasionally in classes. However, I don't go out of my way to purposely throw it across a parking lot or drive over it with a truck during the course of a shift.

There was a photo of an LEO with a Glock 21 and a Streamlight TLR-1 floating out in cyberspace where a suspect shot the Officer's gun and the bullet wedged between the light and the frame of the pistol and the light was damaged but still functional...after the Officer received the gun back from evidence. Can't find it for the life of me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Surefire if you can, Streamlight for budget
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#38]
research everything mentioned here and then buy a PLHv2
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
research everything mentioned here and then buy a PLHv2
View Quote

a plhv2 with a modbutton lite gives you a hell of a lot of sunshine in a small amount of space. only downside is price
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#40]
At least email Streamlight. I've been using various TLR's on pistols and rifles for about 10 years. Only issue I've ever had was the switch door breaking. They always sent me replacements.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

a plhv2 with a modbutton lite gives you a hell of a lot of sunshine in a small amount of space. only downside is price
View Quote

And having to recharge a non standard battery to use it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Modlite.
Surefire.
Steamlight -- if you're on a budget.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Arisaka Defense for all long gun mounted light needs, including the mounts. They are the bomb.
View Quote

Yup. This or Modlight
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm on a budget and has lots of long guns to put lights on, therefore I put Streamlights on all my guns.  Its a mix between the HL-Xs and the original round RM2s
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I use a Surefire X400 on my Beretta 92A1.  They are definitely expensive but they are the pinnacle of quality in the game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top