Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/4/2018 9:56:38 AM EDT
So, I'll follow up with comments, but just a few pictures as I picked up my Xio Alpha Mark 1 folder yesterday.  Very impressive and a heck of deal considering the materials for the price.  If it had a few distinct USA-made names on it, it would have likely been three times as much.  Fit and finish is flawless and as good as most of the custom knives I've owned in this same category.  It's a thick slab of S35VN, with stout titanium handles/lock bar.  It also has a secondary lock pin ala Extrema Ratio RAO which his well done (threading is a little rough though compared to the RAO).  Flipper is smooth and the detent provides good retention when folded.  I'm not a huge fan of the blade shape, but it's growing on me.

Of the four mega folders, the Xio and Cold Steel 4-Max are really the only "pocketable" for me and I've been carrying the Xio all day today (The Benchmade Adamas auto is there for comparison as it's considered a pretty larger folder as well).

The CRKT Ruger is actually pretty decent for a $60-70 knife.  The frame lock is pretty stout and it's well done overall.

The Cold Steel likely has the strongest locking mechanism (beat out the RAO in a load-bearing test, but both are ridiculously strong).

The Xio is really the best deal for the materials and I would likely rate it as strong as the Cold Steel or even stronger with the pin given the design.

These aren't your typical EDC folders, but I have some demented, genetically-engineered love for beefy folders.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to carry a smaller blade, it did the job. But I found I prefer the added leverage of a larger blade for cutting tasks. A Strider SMF being my favorite.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to carry a smaller blade, it did the job. But I found I prefer the added leverage of a larger blade for cutting tasks. A Strider SMF being my favorite.
View Quote
We must be related I almost went the Strider GB route, but never pulled the trigger...nice collection!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Beat them with sticks yet?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Beat them with sticks yet?
View Quote
Not yet  I'm not a big fan of using a baton on a folder, but I may do some light "tapping".  The Xio video on Facebook shows quite a bit of abuse the knife can take though.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Large folder, can’t beat the Grayman satu!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not yet  I'm not a big fan of using a baton on a folder, but I may do some light "tapping".  The Xio video on Facebook shows quite a bit of abuse the knife can take though.

ROCK6
View Quote
It's a terrible idea. That's why I wanna see it done.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a terrible idea. That's why I wanna see it done.
View Quote
A heavy duty folder should have an issue for such a task.  I'm not talking your typical jack-knife or cheap folder.  It's been shown numerous times; again, not ideal, but when needed, the right folder should have zero issues.  I'll have to wait until I get home permanently to do some field testing with the heavier folders, but I don't see that as a difficult task.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If they're worth their weight in salt they should be able to. Still a terrible idea though. Hell, batoning with anything is but if you're unprepared and just have a knife, you make do.

It's when we go full retard and try to pry with them that the pivots and grips start snapping. Doesn't matter who makes it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they're worth their weight in salt they should be able to. Still a terrible idea though. Hell, batoning with anything is but if you're unprepared and just have a knife, you make do.

It's when we go full retard and try to pry with them that the pivots and grips start snapping. Doesn't matter who makes it.
View Quote
Agreed.  That's where folders come up short is when you start to put lateral stress on them...that's the inherent weakness of the design (not that most fixed blades are designed for that either).  You would be surprised at how many folders are carried instead of fixed blades in the military, which is why I started this.  It's not so much being unprepared, it's just constraints of size and preferences for more compact choices.  Of course, as soon as you need a bladed tool for hard-use tasks, many wish they would have had their fixed blade or more appropriate tool.  You can plan for everything, but you can only carry so much.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Explains why the ESEE 3 and 4 got such a huge following.

<---doesn't have to worry about carrying more than a sandwich and a six pack most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That Ruger looks Halsey related.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That Ruger looks Halsey related.
View Quote
If you meant Harsey, as in Bill Harsey, you would be spot on:  CRKT-Ruger, designed by Bill Harsey

I like big folders, and it certainly is a ridiculously big folder!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I like big knives, as well.

I have wanted a Medford for a long time,
but could never get by the expense.

But the Rao 2 seems to be calling my name.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
And I thought the ZT 0300 was big........ :)

ETA: I love larger folders.... they just work for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'll be trying out a Grayman SATU next month

I'm a sucker for big folders as well...not sure why.  I know a fixed blade if far more practical if that option is on the table, but a large, stout folder is still more than capable and is far more compact when folded.  This continues to be the driving force for a big folder on some of my kit.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Cold Steel Espada XL
It spends a lot of time in the drawer...

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got a Cold Steel Espada XL
It spends a lot of time in the drawer...
View Quote
Cold Steel should get a lot of credit for being one of the few companies that does offer very large (almost absurdly large), but useable folders.  I have 5" bladed Talwar at home and despite it's size, it's quite "carry-able".  Now, the Espada XL is simply massive; very cool, but bordering on crazy-big for a folder  Despite the larger sizes, Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock is a proven beast of a locking mechanism.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Great photo!

Quoted:
Well, I'll be trying out a Grayman SATU next month

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/7295111/297853264.jpg

I'm a sucker for big folders as well...not sure why.  I know a fixed blade if far more practical if that option is on the table, but a large, stout folder is still more than capable and is far more compact when folded.  This continues to be the driving force for a big folder on some of my kit.

ROCK6
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Microtech Giant Halo 3X-- Huge OTF Knife
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#20]
That's an interesting looking knife.

My biggest folder is a ZT0300, I'd like to add a Praetorian to the collection but I just don't use the big folders enough to justify the cost.

*Edited to remove dumb question.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's an interesting looking knife.

My biggest folder is a ZT0300, I'd like to add a Praetorian to the collection but I just don't use the big folders enough to justify the cost.

*Edited to remove dumb question.
View Quote
Yeah, the bigger folders are definitely "mission-specific".  As much as I simply like them for what they are, I don't often pocket-carry them due to the size and weight.  Most require a belt pouch of some type which doesn't always lend itself as an EDC item.  I'm on the lookout for a used Praetorian; I like the design, but the cost is a little over my budget for what I consider higher-end users.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#22]
No love for Benchmade LFKs? I have one from the first run.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No love for Benchmade LFKs? I have one from the first run.
View Quote
Nothing new...but a have a Skirmish, Rukus, and of course, the old AFCK (not really a "big" folder, but at least it's a Benchmade).  Of course the "grandfather" of large combat folders is the Al Mar SERE (notwithstanding the Buck 110).

Oh, that's a ESEE 4 with the orange handle for size reference...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
nice stuff; that Ruger looks like a camp knife!

i used to carry an SMF, but couldn't get used the the weight & size; great knife, but just
didn't see myself carrying it much, so i got what i paid & moved on

just picked up a Spyderco Military; very light- i like that. gonna reverse the clip & EDC for a while,,,,
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top