Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 7:18:28 AM EDT
My dad gave me his mid 60s Marlin Glenfield Mod 60. He said he's put thousands of rounds through it as it was his first rifle ever when he was like 5. Guess it wasn't uncommon for him to be 6 and shoot at birds when he went fishing.  
Should I just shoot it?  Should I restore it?  Where would I even start with cleaning this thing?  I want to keep it but don't want it to blow up in my face.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you think it's going to blow up?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#2]
One of if not the most common semi autos out there. Unless there is some obvious damage to it then nothing to worry about as far as safety.

Lots of videos out there about cleaning or stripping marlin 60's. Glenfield is the same as marlin mechanically.

Take the large head screw out just in front of the trigger guard. And the rear one in the trigger guard behind the safety. The action will then lift out of the stock leaving the trigger with the stock. Remove the magazine tube insert from the magazine so the plunger will be out of the way. Then two cross pins hold the action sideplates to the receiver. New ones are plastic push pins, older ones are metal with flat head screws. Remove them and the action sideplates can be lifted in the back and slid out. Clean what you can without removing any "C" clips and there is not risk of losing pieces. Should be a yellow/clear/white buffer at the rear of the sideplates, it might need replaced the new style black buffer are much better.

The bolt, recoil spring and charging handle can be pulled out easy but he careful about bending the spring, pull the charging handle slightly and lift the front of the bolt just enough to clear the receiver, slide it out without bending the recoil spring.

It's really not hard it you don't take the sideplates apart.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one a long time ago when I knew nothing about firearms and was like 17.
I was shocked at the plastic parts and tiny springs.
I recall it not being fun to put back together - like a vcr inside.

That said, I’m sure it’s simpler than I recall and I got it back together without drama and it still worked great.
Clean and shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Cherish your family heirloom. I’ve had several over the decades. Got my Marlin 60 at my mothers that is a 70 era gun, oldest son still has his after 25 yrs and bought a new one in 19’.  Good handling little rifle.

CD
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My dad gave me his mid 60s Marlin Glenfield Mod 60. He said he's put thousands of rounds through it as it was his first rifle ever when he was like 5. Guess it wasn't uncommon for him to be 6 and shoot at birds when he went fishing.  
Should I just shoot it?  Should I restore it?  Where would I even start with cleaning this thing?  I want to keep it but don't want it to blow up in my face.
View Quote

Shoot it? Hell, yes.
Restore it? Hell, no!
Cleaning? YouTube has what you need.
Blow up? What? Are you a mom? These things are "bullet proof." (your avatar photo fits perfectly with this question, btw)

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Got one of those back in the late 70's as a teen, shot countless bricks through it. Shoot it 'til it quits working (1,000/1,500 rounds), douche it out, continue shooting. IIRC, there was at least one company that made a pretty decent "tactical" stock for it back in the day. I'd not think twice about shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it. I have 2 of them. The first one I bought new in the 70's and has the bunny stock. If you have problems with it cycling you can get parts from either Midway or Numrich.
I think what wore out on mine was the feed ramp and the cartridge lifter. I have 10's of thousands of rounds thrugh mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
You will find that it is a very accurate gun.  A friend had one that he never cleaned.  I cleaned it for him, I was surprised it was still working at all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said just give it a good cleaning and it should give you no problems.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright cool deal I will clean it then proceed to shoot some rabbits for stew!  Thanks guys.

I didn't necessarily think it was going to blow up just hasn't been shot for like 30 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my dad 's 99. I killed quite a few groundhogs with it. I hunted more with that than I did my ruger. Think I only ruger a couple times. Been trying to find a dovetail scope base for his old scopechief that he used to have on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a straight blowback .22 LR, one of the safest guns known to man.  You could fill the bbl w/ squibs & not blow it up.

Buy as many replacement parts as you can now.  Marlin has been bought by Ruger, and I don't expect Ruger will be in any hurry to reintroduce it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn't necessarily think it was going to blow up just hasn't been shot for like 30 years.
View Quote

As long as they're not put away wet or stored in a damp place, they don't go bad sitting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two....bought at a pawn shop in 2006.

Never "restore" a gun unless it's really far gone.  Clean it, enjoy it, hang onto it.  

It's a connection to your father.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Glenfield .22 with the detachable magazine (only have the one). Is there a specific mag for this or will all the Marlin stick mags work? I bought it for $130, still haven't fired it and I think there's cobwebs in the barrel from the store.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Should take Marlin mags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should take Marlin mags.
View Quote

The Glenfield 60 is a tube loader.

I had a Glenfield 60 in the 80s. Mine needed cleaning after every 250 - 300 rounds or it would start malfunctioning. Others have reported better reliability. It was quite accurate, however.

I think I paid $65 for it, new.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my first rifle as a kid in the 60's.

Don't think it ever fed a full mag without having a ftf.

I disassembled it years ago with intentions to fix it but never did.

So I guess I need to dig it out and do something about that.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Glenfield 60 is a tube loader.

I had a Glenfield 60 in the 80s. Mine needed cleaning after every 250 - 300 rounds or it would start malfunctioning. Others have reported better reliability. It was quite accurate, however.

I think I paid $65 for it, new.
View Quote

Mine has a removable magazine not a tube.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then yours isn't a Marlin or Glenfield Model 60.

Model 70 pic:

I believe, but can't state for certain, that the 70 magazines were interchangeable with my brother's bolt action mags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You will find that it is a very accurate gun.  A friend had one that he never cleaned.  I cleaned it for him, I was surprised it was still working at all.
View Quote

I bought a cheap Glenfield 60 basket case. It was Glenfield, but it had the MicroGroove barrel.
Replaced the missing clips and springs, put a $8.97 Weaver .22 scope on it, and proceeded to walk around the woods shooting twigs that were smaller in diameter than the bullets.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Model 70 pic:
https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/4241203238/10615591/picture%20233.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I believe, but can't state for certain, that the 70 magazines were interchangeable with my brother's bolt action mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Model 70 pic:
https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/4241203238/10615591/picture%20233.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Here's an aftermarket 15 round mag-
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/929970A

Stock 7 round mag-
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/438340A
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
On any older Marlin/Glenfield semi-auto, the main thing to check is the condition of the plastic buffer. Years go it was quite common to use carb/brake cleaner of guns. The old chlorinated carb/brake cleaner will eat the plastic buffers and make them brittle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Also, don't run Stingers in a Model 60 - you'll break cheap scopes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Easy on the lube too.  
I put a drop on my finger and wipe out the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is dirty, dirty girl

She gets played with VERY often
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I've found it easier to just print new ones after a range session. None of that icky cleaning.

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've found it easier to just print new ones after a range session. None of that icky cleaning.

https://i.imgur.com/0kzLTt5l.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On any older Marlin/Glenfield semi-auto, the main thing to check is the condition of the plastic buffer. Years go it was quite common to use carb/brake cleaner of guns. The old chlorinated carb/brake cleaner will eat the plastic buffers and make them brittle.
View Quote

I don't recall seeing a buffer in any of my Model 60s.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Number 6 on the diagram is the buffer

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Great little guns I have 2 sitting here one I got as a kid that's had ungodly amount of rds through and another my uncle picked up cheap at an auction both are jamming sobs I just haven't got around to digging into them yet unfortunately
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I have fond memories of my Glenfield I bought out of a pawnshop for $20 in the 90's, after someone had taken it upside the head of their significant other & broke the stock clean in two.  Stripped the chipped brown paint, glued the stock, and rubbed in BLO.  Turned out nice, then I set to scoping it.

First was a $12 WalMart pencil variable that I tried to zero w/ Stingers (not recommended for the 60).  The crosshairs just wandered all over the place.

Took that back, tried a $30 scope from Ray's Hardware in Oak Cliff.  Got it zeroed, was happily plinking away when the recoil knocked the cross hairs out of place.  Took it back, got a $40 4X Burris, which got moved to the 10/22, now on the boy's left-eject AR-22.

The Glenfield went to the Presbyterian gun buyback, who gave $50 cash for it, not a bad profit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Yeah, yeah, I remember that now. Jesus, getting old & CRS.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#34]
They are excellent Firearms probably built better than a newer model 60s.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Model 70 pic:

View Quote

Here are some 25 round ProMag from Midway they seem to have decent reviews.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006341481
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 25 round ProMag and it is one of the few magazines from them that actually works well. The other ProMag's I have that work well are for my Glock G44.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  I have a 25 round ProMag and it is one of the few magazines from them that actually works well. The other ProMag's I have that work well are for my Glock G44.
View Quote

For all the hate on ProMag, I've got 3 and all of them work well.  The 1911 mag works in 1911s & my HiPoints.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top