Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2021 3:48:21 PM EDT
Had another unit come in and saw something that I haven't seen before. There APPEARS to be a scratch, however I can't feel it at all. Any chance this is an actual defect within the lens assembly?

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Oof

Maybe on the inner side? Or perhaps a coating defect?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oof

Maybe on the inner side? Or perhaps a coating defect?
View Quote

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit this thing is hard to get pictures of.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
is this a brand new unit from a vendor or a used system?

i'm almost willing to bet that you have AGM "glass".
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately par for the course for Optronics glass (AGM/Apache).

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
is this a brand new unit from a vendor or a used system?

i'm almost willing to bet that you have AGM "glass".
View Quote

It's a used unit, but it did come from a site sponsor originally
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
What does it look like viewing trough the glass?  Can you see the blemish?

Also, it came from a Site Vendor originally, but did the prior owner swap the original Carson eyepiece out for this one?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also, it came from a Site Vendor originally, but did the prior owner swap the original Carson eyepiece out for this one?
View Quote

At certain angles, depending on the lighting behind me I can occasionally see it.

I would highly doubt that he'd swap it, but anything is possible. He does have 100% feedback with a large amount of transactions and seems very intent on making it right - so I don't think he swapped anything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a scratch/scuff in the coating but hard to determine from those pictures.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like a scratch/scuff in the coating but hard to determine from those pictures.
View Quote

It's just strange for a scratch - it's almost a perfect circle (well, if it went all the way around anyway)
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Dealt with optics for quite a while, camera's, telescopes, NVD's et. all and have never seen that before.

Not sure, however I'm betting this is a 'scuff' mark, however not in the everyday sense. My theory is since most AR coating are 'softer' than the actual glass it is applied to, and we are constantly reminded not to scratch the coating when cleaning a lens correct? A mark like that could have been a object that had just enough hardness/surface to damage the coating, however not hard enough to actually damage the glass/lens.

---
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At certain angles, depending on the lighting behind me I can occasionally see it.

I would highly doubt that he'd swap it, but anything is possible. He does have 100% feedback with a large amount of transactions and seems very intent on making it right - so I don't think he swapped anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you unscrew the diopter eyepiece and see if the o-ring is black (Carson) or red (Apache)?  Might help in identifying what OEM the eyepiece is and if it’s the original or not?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
This is an Optronics (AGM/Apache) Ocular. Identifiable by the limited to non existent coatings, high gloss, plastic diopter adjustment ring.

Quoted:

Can you unscrew the diopter eyepiece and see if the o-ring is black (Carson) or red (Apache)?  Might help in identifying what OEM the eyepiece is and if it’s the original or not?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a some cheap used "scratched" eyepieces last year off a guy. Ended up buffing them with petroleum jelly and q-tips. Only one or two of them still had a visible mark afterwards. Not sure if they were actual scratches or just some gunky residue.

Worth a try. The placement of it almost looks like it is in the part of the lense that you can't wipe with your finder and a cloth. So it could be buildup of gunk
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
AGM is plastic optics?

Reading all this, I'm damn lucky have found a Carson PVS-14 kit for my recent build using an older tube that needed a new home.

---
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AGM is plastic optics?

Reading all this, I'm damn lucky have found a Carson PVS-14 kit for my recent build using an older tube that needed a new home.

---
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Carson glass has a lot of plastic content in it as well. Possibly with a glass outermost layer. There was a whole thing with people melting through lenses with soldering irons. It was crazy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top