Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2020 7:22:53 AM EDT
Got my license 9 years ago but have never used it. Tried twice but shops wouldn’t accept it. Also have moved to an area with an antigun leaning sheriff. With all the issues in Illinois i’m throwing in the towel on this one. The book i got at the beginning is empty so do I just sign off and send in the form or do I also have to explain that there were no transactions using this license ? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't do anything. Throw away the renewal form. Move on with your life.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For any face to face transaction, you don't use an 03 FFL, you just buy it as you do any other firearm.  Makes it easier for you actually as you don't have to log in C&R things bought this way into your book.

As for the local sheriff, there is nothing he can do about you having one.  The notification letter is for his information, he has no legal course of action to deny you having it.  If it gets under his skin and makes him mad, all the more reason to get it.  

If your licence is up for renewal, then you just do nothing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For any face to face transaction, you don't use an 03 FFL, you just buy it as you do any other firearm.  Makes it easier for you actually as you don't have to log in C&R things bought this way into your book.
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not true.  You must log all C&R eligible firearms acquired while you have an active license, not just the ones that are bought specifically using your license.

There's also a checkbox on the renewal form that specifies that you are not renewing, which you can fill out and send back.  It's the red "Not Renewing?" section, almost halfway down the front page:
(Note the fine print that specifies that C&R FFLs aren't required to send in anything else, like records.  There's no need to provide any explanation, or indicate your number of transactions.)

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting, didn't know that about having to log them in.  Why is that - the FFL dealer is selling it to you as a modern gun with whatever background check is needed for other firearms, so why do you have to log it if you in effect didn't use your 03 to get it?  Is it just to make ATF's work easier in that all your old stuff needs to be in the book?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know that about having to log them in.  Why is that - the FFL dealer is selling it to you as a modern gun with whatever background check is needed for other firearms, so why do you have to log it if you in effect didn't use your 03 to get it?  Is it just to make ATF's work easier in that all your old stuff needs to be in the book?
View Quote

You don't "use" your license. YOU ARE LICENSED. When you voluntarily sign up for a collector's license, you agree to abide by the rules of the license. One of those rules is that you'll log every C&R gun that comes into your possession. BTW, you also must log every disposition of C&R guns -- even guns you owned prior to getting your license. If you don't like the rules, don't sign up for the license.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
OK Mr. ATF man, don't blow a gasket!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK Mr. ATF man, don't blow a gasket!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As for the local sheriff, there is nothing he can do about you having one.  The notification letter is for his information, he has no legal course of action to deny you having it.  If it gets under his skin and makes him mad, all the more reason to get it.  

View Quote
I believe if you have the FFL03, you are supposed to log any and all transactions regardless if you "use" the FFL03 or not.  This includes non-curio & relic firearms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't "use" your license. YOU ARE LICENSED. When you voluntarily sign up for a collector's license, you agree to abide by the rules of the license. One of those rules is that you'll log every C&R gun that comes into your possession. BTW, you also must log every disposition of C&R guns -- even guns you owned prior to getting your license. If you don't like the rules, don't sign up for the license.
View Quote
That is correct.  However to avoid confusion, you do not need to log the purchase and sale of guns that were transacted PRIOR to being given the license.  Only transactions conducted WHILE licensed.

I've been an FFL03 since 2013.  I've renewed twice.  It's been 6 years since my last log entry.  I probably don't need it anymore, but for only $10 a year (although still a bullshit infringement) it's hard to give up for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is correct.  However to avoid confusion, you do not need to log the purchase and sale of guns that were transacted PRIOR to being given the license.  Only transactions conducted WHILE licensed.

I've been an FFL03 since 2013.  I've renewed twice.  It's been 6 years since my last log entry.  I probably don't need it anymore, but for only $10 a year (although still a bullshit infringement) it's hard to give up for whatever reason.
View Quote

I agree, if I buy just one c&r firearm and have it shipped to my house in those 3 years, avoiding the ffl transfer fee from a shop pays for two years of my ffl license fee.
I've saved hundreds avoiding ffl fees. I'll always have an 03 licenses as long as I'm able. Doesn't make sense not too
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe if you have the FFL03, you are supposed to log any and all transactions regardless if you "use" the FFL03 or not.  This includes non-curio & relic firearms.
View Quote

No. The 03 license holder should NOT log non C&R transfers. When it comes to modern guns, the 03 holder is unlicensed and follows the same rules as anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got my license 9 years ago but have never used it. Tried twice but shops wouldn't accept it. Also have moved to an area with an antigun leaning sheriff. With all the issues in Illinois i'm throwing in the towel on this one. The book i got at the beginning is empty so do I just sign off and send in the form or do I also have to explain that there were no transactions using this license ? Thanks
View Quote
How can they decide not to recognize a Federal license?  Almost seems like grounds to contact the ATF about since they are the issuing agency and you are in good standing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. The 03 license holder should NOT log non C&R transfers. When it comes to modern guns, the 03 holder is unlicensed and follows the same rules as anyone else.
View Quote
That isn't the way I read it.  Log ALL transactions regardless if C&R or not, both sales and purchases.  Anything that is a legal firearm gets logged during the time your license is active.

OOPS, forgot I already commented like a month ago.  This just popped up again
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That isn't the way I read it.  Log ALL transactions regardless if C&R or not, both sales and purchases.  Anything that is a legal firearm gets logged during the time your license is active.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, as somebody who held a type 02 license for 8 years and a type 03 for about 8 now, I'm going to say you're reading it wrong. I can't find something that specifically says that a 03 license holder is not supposed to log non-C&R guns, but I'm 117 percent sure I'm right.

I did find this. Tell me, are non-C&R license holders required to log non-C&R guns in an A&D book? No, they're not. When it comes to non-C&R guns, a type 03 license holder is UNLICENSED . . .

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-collector%E2%80%99s-license-afford-any-privileges-licensee-respect-acquiring-or-disposing

Does a collector’s license afford any privileges to the licensee with respect to acquiring or disposing of firearms other than curios or relics in interstate or foreign commerce?

No. A licensed collector has the same status under the Gun Control Act (GCA) as a nonlicensee except for transactions in curio or relic firearms.

[27 CFR 478.93]

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How can they decide not to recognize a Federal license?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How can they decide not to recognize a Federal license?

They recognize it just fine. They just choose not to honor it for the transfer.
Partly because ignorance but mostly because it requires calling ATF to verify the validity of the 03FFL. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.  01 and 07FFL's are easily and quickly verified on FFLeZcheck.

Almost seems like grounds to contact the ATF about since they are the issuing agency and you are in good standing.

Sure, write ATF a letter. In eight months they'll respond back "uh, we don't give a shit because no federal law or ATF regulation requires any dealer to honor an 03FFL".
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn't have any problems buying all these shit-sticks without a license.  I wouldn't fuss with it either.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I sent in the renewal with my new address but didn’t check the box about the change. They sent the new license with my old address. What should I do now? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sent in the renewal with my new address but didn’t check the box about the change. They sent the new license with my old address. What should I do now? Thanks
View Quote

Just going out on a limb here, but my first thought would be to call the ATF and ask them what you should do.  

My second thought is that they may direct you to this (but what do I know? I'm just some dude on the Internet):

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/application-amended-federal-firearms-license-atf-form-530038
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top