Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 9:31:21 PM EDT
The bump helmet in my earlier ghetto helmet thread seemed to shift no matter what I did. Rather than spend a mint on a set of good pads and straps to make it work, I decided to grab a real ballistic helmet from Bulletproof-it. Still having a problem finding an affordable helmet mount for the Newcon NVS-7, so back to Gerryrigging a solution with zipties. The tiny holes for the Wilcox mount were a bitch to thread a zip tie through, and I didn't want to try opening them further. Finally had some success. The third and fourth anchor points were a little harder and less snug than on the bump helmet, but I did t want to monkey with the rails. The loops for the zipties even provide a convenient place to put the bungees when not in use.

Verdict?

The original Ghetto Gerryrig

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If it works and is stable enough for your usage, then good on you!

Since you went with a ballistic helm though, I take it you may use it for shooting/outings? Not familiar with your NVG, but a shroud+mount is what you really need if you want it set up properly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it works and is stable enough for your usage, then good on you!

Since you went with a ballistic helm though, I take it you may use it for shooting/outings? Not familiar with your NVG, but a shroud+mount is what you really need if you want it set up properly.
View Quote
The shroud is $337. When I find a deal, I'll likely get one. I made the move from Gen 1+ to 2+ pretty quickly, funds are a little tapped for the moment. It's in the plans.

I grabbed the ballistic helmet because I got a sick deal of a US made IIIA helmet, and it keeps things balanced well without having to invest in a new suspension system for my bump helmet.

I just went on a little hike and it seemed to work well enough for now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
For a ghetto loaner helmet I grabbed a knock off from eBay for 45 bucks. Made sure it had had the three joke shroud. Ditched the plastic shroud and added a Wilcox. For less than $100 I have a great loaner that I am not afraid to mount my expensive nods to. The caveat is the pads kinda suck but I don't wear it so who cares lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Problem is my unit is a Newcon NVS-7. It works well, but it uses a unique dovetail. I can Gerryrig the skullcrusher it came with to a helmet - skullcrusher sucked on its own, but the Wilcox shroud for it is ridiculously expensive, and almost nobody carries it. Cheapest I've found it is $284!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm seeing a screw on top of the unit.  Shouldn't it be easy for a machinist to make an L bracket that uses the shoehorn off a $25 used J arm and mates it to that screwhole?  I wouldn't charge more than $50 for that, and I bet you could find someone for $30 if you did the hard part of making all the measurements and having a decent plan.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm seeing a screw on top of the unit.  Shouldn't it be easy for a machinist to make an L bracket that uses the shoehorn off a $25 used J arm and mates it to that screwhole?  I wouldn't charge more than $50 for that, and I bet you could find someone for $30 if you did the hard part of making all the measurements and having a decent plan.
View Quote
I guess that's why you're a gifted machinist and I'm not. I have no idea what's easy for a machinist to do, nor do I know any in East Bumbfuck, VT.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure why you just don't get a std mount and shroud.  Is this a special model -7 with a special mount?  Maybe Augee can school us on the differences of the -7 series?  I though it was a simple deal to mount one up, like surplus parts for the -14.  A guy had a 7A housing on the other day with a bayo fitting; I can see the mount looks different but am unfamiliar with this series.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why you just don't get a std mount and shroud.  Is this a special model -7 with a special mount?  Maybe Augee can school us on the differences of the -7 series?  I though it was a simple deal to mount one up, like surplus parts for the -14.  A guy had a 7A housing on the other day with a bayo fitting; I can see the mount looks different but am unfamiliar with this series.
View Quote
Yes, if you read the thread you'd know it's a unique mounting system. I've yet to find anything other than Newcon's proprietary mounts that will fit it. It's a tiny little dovetail. I could try epozying a J-arm clip to the unit, but I don't want to risk damaging the unit, or not being able to reverse it. I've written to Newcon twice now and haven't heard back. The shroud that does work with it ranges from $284-$337, which seems more than a bit ridiculous, but it does seem to be limited availability, so maybe it's a reflection of high R&D cost spread over a small number of units. At one time Newcon offered what they called a U Mount that looks like it would replace the Dovetail and had a clip for the Rhino that was integrated into a baseplate and had four holes in the plate the look like they would match the holes which the dovetail plate is secured with. Alas, I can't find that mount anywhere.

It's not the series I would have chosen, but it was what was offered in trade, and it's what I'm working with for the time being.

ETA, I have a Wilcox interface, Rhino 2, and a J-Arm. But those are useless here. The $284 mount takes the place of a Rhino 2 and J-arm.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah very interesting.  Yeah, you take what you have and work it; I totally get that.

If the factory stuff ain't in the works, then perhaps you could build up something a bit more permanent.  I would try and cut down the crusher to just a rectangle mounting plate.  Then laminate that, with a good epoxy, to a thicker, stiffer piece of plastic (or possibly .024" alum). that could be used as a doubler to direct mount it, via screws, to the helmet.  Perhaps even sandwich the plastic mount between two alum. doublers and then hard mount it.  I assume it has a push-button detachment, where the -7 can still be removed.

At the same time, I would think you'd want to make a counter-weight pouch!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah very interesting.  Yeah, you take what you have and work it; I totally get that.
View Quote
It's not my long term solution, but $.87 in zip ties from Walmart is more in my wheelhouse in the moment than $300 give or take... but I'll likely embrace that suck at some point when eBay has one of their 20% off specials and I have some ebay bucks to burn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Does that L bracket screw into the pvs7......or does the PVS 7 have a threaded hole?

If so I would screw a dovetail into it and go from there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does that L bracket screw into the pvs7......or does the PVS 7 have a threaded hole?

If so I would screw a dovetail into it and go from there.
View Quote
The screw is more of a tensioner, does not screw into the unit itself

Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#14]
My assumption is that mounting platform is removable, judging from the 4 screw holes.  If this is removable, perhaps a plate could be fabricated to mount a dovetail.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My assumption is that mounting platform is removable, judging from the 4 screw holes.  If this is removable, perhaps a plate could be fabricated to mount a dovetail.
View Quote
Newcon used to make one, it's no longer available apparently. I'm hoping I can get somebody to fabricate one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet my basement dwelling machinist would drill some holes in a dovetail for you on the cheap.

Eta it might be close to a sentinel dovetail or a DTNVG dovetail bolt pattern.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bet my basement dwelling machinist would drill some holes in a dovetail for you on the cheap.

Eta it might be close to a sentinel dovetail or a DTNVG dovetail bolt pattern.
View Quote
What would you need from me to get that done?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Should have got my PVS-7’s way easier to mount and Gen 3!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What would you need from me to get that done?
View Quote
You would would need to send the the piece with the four holes from the newcon pvs7 and buy a dovetail. That way he can measure the hole spacing and drill the new dovetail.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Should have taken me up on my trade offers
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You would would need to send the the piece with the four holes from the newcon pvs7 and buy a dovetail. That way he can measure the hole spacing and drill the new dovetail.
View Quote
What do I need for the Rhino 2 to connect said dovetail?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a dovetail adapter for the aka2 that should work with the rhino 2....tnvc has them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There is a dovetail adapter for the aka2 that should work with the rhino 2....tnvc has them.
View Quote
@tnvc_augee what say you? Want to make sure I order the right product
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry life got busy and I noticed you had posted that you had snagged a pair by the time I was able to really get to it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry life got busy and I noticed you had posted that you had snagged a pair by the time I was able to really get to it.
View Quote
I still have some trade offers listed. I'm open to a second set, also looking for a 14.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top