Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2021 7:11:33 PM EDT
So I am wanting to do more hiking and I need help finding a pack.  I have EDC bags like a 5.11 Covrt 18 and a Kelly Map 3500 that I use for EDC and they work good for loads around 25 pounds.  But I want something that can comfortably carry a minimum of  35 to 50 pounds.  I’m 6 foot 4 inches tall, for reference.  

Along the same line of thought, what’s the difference in load carrying between a ruck/hiking pack and an assault/patrol pack.  In other words at what weight do you switch between the two?  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I draw the line at about 30 lbs depending on the distance. For meandering down a trail in the spring, with a jacket and sundries a daypack I can throw around is fine.
For intentional movement that I need specific gear packed in a more specific order, over longer distances: framed pack.

It's easier to get away with an unstructured bag if you're only walking a few hundred meters, then catch a ride home. Wears on your bones the longer that walk gets.

Do you have any tactical considerations/budget?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I draw the line at about 30 lbs depending on the distance. For meandering down a trail in the spring, with a jacket and sundries a daypack I can throw around is fine.
For intentional movement that I need specific gear packed in a more specific order, over longer distances: framed pack.

It's easier to get away with an unstructured bag if you're only walking a few hundred meters, then catch a ride home. Wears on your bones the longer that walk gets.

Do you have any tactical considerations/budget?
View Quote

This bag would be for bugout purposes or for participating in battle buddy hikes/American pioneer corps.  

Budget is in the $200 range.  

I’ve been looking at the Kelly redwing 50 pretty hard.  I’ve also thought about a surplus USMC FILBE main pack.  Two completely different packs of course, but the price is right and the durability is there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
When I used to hike, load outs were 4000ci and 40 lbs roughly for 3-5 days....no Gucci gear. You get a down bag and sleep in a hammock tent, that saves a few pounds. If you wear Gucci gear, you really need only 2 outfits and 1 outerwear...saves room and weight. Might even be able to pack a six pack.

Might want to consider one of those emergency text devices, if going remote.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want lightweight and comfort then you need to look at a backpacking specific bag and not a “tactical” bag. I’d recommend Osprey, Deuter or the like. They are made to be lightweight and carry heavy loads. Your body will thank you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I am wanting to do more hiking and I need help finding a pack.  I have EDC bags like a 5.11 Covrt 18 and a Kelly Map 3500 that I use for EDC and they work good for loads around 25 pounds.  But I want something that can comfortably carry a minimum of  35 to 50 pounds.  I’m 6 foot 4 inches tall, for reference.  

Along the same line of thought, what’s the difference in load carrying between a ruck/hiking pack and an assault/patrol pack.  In other words at what weight do you switch between the two?  

View Quote

The difference is weight distribution. Well designed and properly fitted (one of the more important aspects) Rucks/Hiking packs put that weight over your hips versus having that weight digging into your shoulders. Also helps with center of gravity and balance. The drawbacks are bulk and weight. Internal and external frames in a ruck/hiking pack add extra ounces to pounds. Your Kelty Map 3500 is actually a good example of what I would consider a mini-ruck whose only limitation in what can be carried is volume (MAP 3500 - 2300cu).

Short distances or duration of carry = assault pack.
Long distance or duration of carry + load volume= ruck/hiking pack.

The Redwing 50 is pretty nice but I think the Coyote 65 has a better internal compartment and external pocket design for hiking/camping.

Not a fan of for example the Redwing 50's laptop sleeve or this compartment (pic below)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Can speak to the bag difference but I’m im just carrying weight to ruck I use a GoRuck bag.  Durable with a good warranty  and you can get one for $125 ish if you shop around or join one of the GoRuck groups on Facebook.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a big fan of Stone Glacier Packs for my backpack hunting needs.

they make several bags and some are more tactical in nature

Super light and comfortable

Kifaru also makes killer packs, very comfortable and durable
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Osprey Atmos packs are very supportive and worth considering. You'll find many of the more backpacker-oriented packs to be using updated and more ergonomic solutions than tactical packs are, especially at that price point. $200 is just going to limit you to imported Chinese and similar products. If you had more money, check out Kifaru.

For me, when the weight goes up I want a good frame tied to a padded cummerbund and wide shoulder pads to help float the load over my torso. And then you'll want to pack differently to keep more weight closer to your back and low.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Best experience I had with a rucksack would be a Granite Gear Chief patrol pack. Used one in SERE, very comfortable pack that I'll end up picking up one day. The frame is well designed and distributes weight pretty well. Straps are easy to adjust, and padding is great. I'm not sure if you can get them from a shop, but they're common on ebay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This bag would be for bugout purposes or for participating in battle buddy hikes/American pioneer corps.  

Budget is in the $200 range.  

I’ve been looking at the Kelly redwing 50 pretty hard.  I’ve also thought about a surplus USMC FILBE main pack.  Two completely different packs of course, but the price is right and the durability is there.
View Quote

Kelly has a good rep, if you don't have a need for camo colors I'd search more in their direction if I were you.
There's an argument to make for rigid frames to support heavy loads but the current gen USGI rucks don't do it well.
If they did you wouldn't have so many 22-28 year old SMs with back problems.

Quoted:
If you want lightweight and comfort then you need to look at a backpacking specific bag and not a “tactical” bag. I’d recommend Osprey, Deuter or the like. They are made to be lightweight and carry heavy loads. Your body will thank you.
View Quote

I agree with this, I had an Osprey bag I lived out of working at Mt Rainier one year and it was the best balance I'd found for the price. Was a 30 - 45L bag. If I hadn't given it to my replacement when I left I'd still be using it.
Aluminium frames aren't magic but they definitely do it right.

Quoted:
Best experience I had with a rucksack would be a Granite Gear Chief patrol pack. Used one in SERE, very comfortable pack that I'll end up picking up one day. The frame is well designed and distributes weight pretty well. Straps are easy to adjust, and padding is great. I'm not sure if you can get them from a shop, but they're common on ebay.
View Quote

Had a chance to trade my old SATL for a Chief pack and passed, I still kick myself for that. Every now and then I see them come up for DRMO sale but I always miss the boat. Their aid bag is my holy grail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My personal preference is for a pack with an external frame if you're going to be carrying that kind of weight.

There is no need to spend a metric ton of money either on a pack for rucking.  Buy a surplus ALICE Pack and if you want you can enhance it with a Tactical Tailor frame and pads.  If it's just for rucking don't go spending BIG money on a Mystery Ranch or whatever.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
For <50lbs an external frame is a better choice.  Internals will be similarly expensive, and much shorter-lived & less repairable.  Heavy loads mean stuff wears out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top