Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2018 5:23:57 AM EDT
So I'm taking the plunge and jumping into a M82a1 (should be here in the next month). I've read I don't know how many reviews, postings, threads, etc on the rifles. All of which seem to be dated. I'd like to get the opinions and views of current owners / shooters. Would appreciate any tips or advice also. I'll be reloading for it eventually, but that's on down the road a bit. The longest range I now of in south central Missouri is 800 yards. So for the time being that will be the the farthest I'm liable to shoot. Probably going to be more of a fun gun for long range shooting for me rather than a "precision" anti-material rifle. Definitely not a hunting rifle either. I've got plenty of other rifles that'd leave the deer intact. Might remove some hogs with it though.

Appreciate any advice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean, they are cool but I have shot mine maybe 3 times and had it since 2010.

They are not that accurate (even Barrett submitted a different rifle when the US military was looking for a precision 50), they are expensive to shoot, and lugging them around is a pain.

But I like knowing that I own a semi-automatic .50bmg rifle so I am happy with it!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you're a "fun" shooter, so stock up on some "cheaper" ($2.50-$3.00/round) bulk Lake City or other decent US-made milsurp ammo - great for breaking things at the range.

Rifle ships in a Pelican 1750 with a lot of room to spare, I got a 1720 (which actually fits in my trunk) and cut custom foam for the rifle, 1 mag, and my scope - consider this if a 1750 won't fit your vehicle...

Get some nice glass to go on top, remember there's a built-in 27moa angle to the rail (at least on the 29" version).  Barrett told me the rail is ~1.25" over bore at the approximate location of a scope turret), so calculate your scope center and ring heights for ballistics calculations.  I used Burris Signature Zee rings with an offset so I have my scope bottomed out at 100yds (actually ended up shooting 1" high at 100yds) so I can dial up the whole 60-70moa scope adjustment for longer ranges.  Visual bore-sight got me on paper, then I think 6-7 rounds to sight it in at 100yds.  Shooting one indoors is ... impressive.  (Note you'll need something like the Hornady Match ammo to use indoors as all the inexpensive ammo is magnetic and verboten at any indoor range I've ever encountered.)

I also changed the A2 pistol grip out for a nicer ergonomic one.

Be prepared to giggle like a little girl every time you or someone else shoots it.  It's almost a toss-up as to whether I enjoy shooting it more or watching others shoot it!

I got a spare magazine - this might be a waste of money.  Enjoy using a magazine that is, well, to quote a buddy who used to jump out of planes for a living: "Any magazine that requires two hands to insert is the RIGHT answer!"
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you're a "fun" shooter, so stock up on some "cheaper" ($2.50-$3.00/round) bulk Lake City or other decent US-made milsurp ammo - great for breaking things at the range.

Rifle ships in a Pelican 1750 with a lot of room to spare, I got a 1720 (which actually fits in my trunk) and cut custom foam for the rifle, 1 mag, and my scope - consider this if a 1750 won't fit your vehicle...

Get some nice glass to go on top, remember there's a built-in 27moa angle to the rail (at least on the 29" version).  Barrett told me the rail is ~1.25" over bore at the approximate location of a scope turret), so calculate your scope center and ring heights for ballistics calculations.  I used Burris Signature Zee rings with an offset so I have my scope bottomed out at 100yds (actually ended up shooting 1" high at 100yds) so I can dial up the whole 60-70moa scope adjustment for longer ranges.  Visual bore-sight got me on paper, then I think 6-7 rounds to sight it in at 100yds.  Shooting one indoors is ... impressive.  (Note you'll need something like the Hornady Match ammo to use indoors as all the inexpensive ammo is magnetic and verboten at any indoor range I've ever encountered.)

I also changed the A2 pistol grip out for a nicer ergonomic one.

Be prepared to giggle like a little girl every time you or someone else shoots it.  It's almost a toss-up as to whether I enjoy shooting it more or watching others shoot it!

I got a spare magazine - this might be a waste of money.  Enjoy using a magazine that is, well, to quote a buddy who used to jump out of planes for a living: "Any magazine that requires two hands to insert is the RIGHT answer!"
View Quote
Appreciate the imput. Right now my money is on being a fun shooter. Maybe I'll get more serious if I can get the use of a longer range. I hope so. But I just don't know.

I'm trading a truck to one of my favorite dealers for the rifle, and it is the 29" model. He's throwing in a nice vortex scope and rings. So I should be able to stretch her legs a bit.

Good place to get blaster ammo? I've looked at 50 bmg supply. Any others?

So many things to consider now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good place to get blaster ammo? I've looked at 50 bmg supply. Any others?
View Quote
I've not seen actual US milsurp ammo on their site - only milsurp projectiles and various other loaded-by-someone ammo....

sgammo and midway have both sold Lake City surplus for $2.50/round, PSA had it once for <$2, check TargetSportsUSA also:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Decent-price-on-new-production--50BMG-in-bulk----/3-472955/&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Personally I'm kinda nervous about trusting random internet sellers on .50 stuff - YMMV of course, but I tend to stick to big names selling big-factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
First of all, join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association.
There is a world of knowledge to be accessed about the .50.

With regard to ammo, Consider contacting Randy Powell at Thunder Ammo in Oklahoma.

Randy makes great reloads, and will save you money.
I've shot hundreds of rounds of his reloads, and I've been in matches where thousands more have been shot.
Great ammo and great guy.

PM if I can help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I truly appreciate the advice y'all. It's of great help and a good point in the right direction. I am leary of non factory ammo. Internet ammo even more so, I'm one of those touch first people. But I've not got much choice for the moment. Kinda blew the load getting the truck into trading shape. Probably limited 100-200 rounds that I can afford for now. That'll at least give me some cases to reload down the road.

I'll be getting a hold of the feller in Oklahoma, they may be in driving range of me.

But I'm super stoked now. My dealer went ahead and got it in. I got to take a peek today. I'll get to take her home once the oil filter conversion kit I sold him on shows up. :)
Hopefully this weekend. Even my wife is getting onboard finally.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks nice.

What model of Vortex is that on it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Showed up with a Night Force on top. Haven't put the Vortex on top yet. Can't say the model number off the top of my head. Something in the 1500-2000 dollar range I think it was.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
What range are you looking at going to 800 yards? I am in SW MO. Luckily I have a friend with nice property to shoot on but I am always looking for 50 friendly ranges near me. I traded up from my M99 to M82a1 in the fall and haven't even shot it yet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Big Piney goes to 800. I started a thread over in the hometown forum looking for ranges.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I was out hunting ammunition locally to me yesterday to feed this big bitch. Found a can of M33 linked for a fair price at one shop. Here's my question about it. Sticker said Summit mfg m33 remanufactured. Not for use in M82a1 or M107.
The employees were less than helpful. Can anyone tell me why it wouldn't be used in a M82a1? Because it's linked, or something else?

My Google fu has failed me on this one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sticker said Summit mfg m33 remanufactured.
View Quote
Highlighted portion is all I need to know to walk away... add in the "Don't use this in your gun" sticker from the mfg and it's less than a no-brainer IMO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Highlighted portion is all I need to know to walk away... add in the "Don't use this in your gun" sticker from the mfg and it's less than a no-brainer IMO.
View Quote
Copy that. That seems to be the general consensus. Been reading everything I can find on ammo, seems to be a lot of variations in things. Which makes me nervous with such a large caliber. I believe that I'll be selling another rifle and getting a reloading press sooner than I thought. Always been much happier rolling my own in my other calibers, and I'd really like to not trash a very expensive rifle. Doubly since my 13 year old daughters will be shooting this as well. Yup my girls are 2-1/2 months apart. Reason #4 to buy a Barrett M82a1. You can run off daughters from an effective stand off distance.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I was looking at that exact same ammo last week, in the same shop I bet :) I have some summit API ammo that I got with my M99 that I have since traded. I didn't have any issue shooting it in that gun. Remanufactured ammo quality and questions aside (though I think summit has a decent reputation) I think the OAL of the round may have something to do with feeding in M82s as well which may be what they are referring too. I mainly shoot AE stuff for plinking anyway and probably will sell or trade the API ammo eventually.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was looking at that exact same ammo last week, in the same shop I bet :) I have some summit API ammo that I got with my M99 that I have since traded. I didn't have any issue shooting it in that gun. Remanufactured ammo quality and questions aside (though I think summit has a decent reputation) I think the OAL of the round may have something to do with feeding in M82s as well which may be what they are referring too. I mainly shoot AE stuff for plinking anyway and probably will sell or trade the API ammo eventually.
View Quote
Cherokee. Not my favorite shop. Not by any means, but he had some American Eagle in stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cherokee. Not my favorite shop. Not by any means, but he had some American Eagle in stock.
View Quote
Even Sportsmans Warehouse by me fairly regularly stocks American Eagle at $40 and Hornady A-max at ~$70.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Well. I now how to the coolest guy at the range. Show up driving a Prius ( leave me alone, it gets great mileage), & pull a Barrett M82a1 out of the passenger seat.

And then suddenly every other guy feels inadequate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Which range did you end up going to?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
So why is using remanufactured ammo in an m82a1 a no-no?  Is it OAL or soft primer concerns causing a slamfire?
Does the m82a1 action protect the firing pin until fully in battery?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does the m82a1 action protect the firing pin until fully in battery?
View Quote
Yes, the bolt has a pin that you can see from the rear that won't allow the firing pin to produce from the bolt face until the bolt is fully rotated.
Look at the firing pin, it has notches cut into the base of it 180* apart. The notch straddles the pin when the bolt is fully rotated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, the bolt has a pin that you can see from the rear that won't allow the firing pin to produce from the bolt face until the bolt is fully rotated.
Look at the firing pin, it has notches cut into the base of it 180* apart. The notch straddles the pin when the bolt is fully rotated.
View Quote
Great explanation 50cal. Thanks. So why is it that remanufactured ammo can't be shot in the m82?  Is it just a standard warning like found on most other guns?
Love the avatar BTW!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great explanation 50cal. Thanks. So why is it that remanufactured ammo can't be shot in the m82?  Is it just a standard warning like found on most other guns?
Love the avatar BTW!
View Quote
Warranty issue.
When I worked at Barrett we received test ammo from a bunch of people wanting to get into producing 50bmg ammo.
More times than not, it was way too hot, or underpowered.

Thanks about the avatar. I get quite a few PMs about it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
HiTechAmmo out of StL sells .50 milsurp powder and projectiles....if you take the plunge into reloading.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I'm taking the plunge and jumping into a M82a1 (should be here in the next month). I've read I don't know how many reviews, postings, threads, etc on the rifles. All of which seem to be dated. I'd like to get the opinions and views of current owners / shooters. Would appreciate any tips or advice also. I'll be reloading for it eventually, but that's on down the road a bit. The longest range I now of in south central Missouri is 800 yards. So for the time being that will be the the farthest I'm liable to shoot. Probably going to be more of a fun gun for long range shooting for me rather than a "precision" anti-material rifle. Definitely not a hunting rifle either. I've got plenty of other rifles that'd leave the deer intact. Might remove some hogs with it though.

Appreciate any advice.
View Quote
Eat your wheaties. You'll thank me if you have to pack that bad boy very far.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I love my M82, but it's sick.
I shot a match last weekend and had two times that it doubled.
Kind of an attention getter.
The trigger was squirrley before that, wouldn't reset.
Going to have to go to Barrett for some new, upgraded parts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I mean, they are cool but I have shot mine maybe 3 times and had it since 2010.

They are not that accurate (even Barrett submitted a different rifle when the US military was looking for a precision 50), they are expensive to shoot, and lugging them around is a pain.

But I like knowing that I own a semi-automatic .50bmg rifle so I am happy with it!
View Quote
All this.

My co-worker desktop background is him shooting it.  I love to let others get the chance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:18:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh. I love the damn thing. Its a hoot to shoot. Let my 13 year old daughter shoot it the other day, and I quote her " that was f'ing awesome".

I lugged around a 240 bravo back in the day. This is about the same to me.

Getting set up for reloading now.

No, its not the cheapest thing in the world & the cost ownership is definitely high. But I like knowing that I can poke holes in most things short of a tank.

Wouldn't wanna poke holes in a tank anyways. Tanks usually have friends around that poop out infantry.

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Owning a Barrett: it's like having two dicks. Only you can kill anything that has ever walked this earth with one of them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't be surprised when the gun shoots 2ish moa.
An ultra high dollar precision scope might be a waste, since you'll never get to utilize the scope to its fullest extent.

If you want more accuracy, you can try AMAX ammo. I can get about just over 1moa with my barrett if I use that ammo.
Remember to single feed the rounds by hand if you plan on shooting AMAX.
They don't fit in the magazines properly and you'll mangle the aluminum tips.

Remember to stay a looong distance away from the target if you plan on shooting at steel or something hard.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top