Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/1/2018 8:45:18 PM EDT
ETA: Due to my own derailing, I'm going to make this a general helmet thread.
View Quote
I’m not sure if this is where this should be, but I thought it would be the best area for knowledge.
I want to add a WWII German helmet to the collection, and seeing as how their value has skyrocketed, much of what’s available is out of my budget.

One option I have found is an original shell that has been restored professionally, and has a newly manufactured liner, pins and chinstrap.

Obviously, this will never be as desirable as a completely original model, but what should I expect value wise?
I guess what I’m asking, is should I expect it to increase in value over time in a comparable manner to other examples, or will the restoration keep the value from ever increasing in any significant way?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw you asked this in GD...but since I am banned from GD () I couldn't answer....

I saw you asked about At The Front....their shit is top notch, you can't go wrong with one of theirs but it will look like a brand new unissued helmet...I don't think they offer their aging service any longer.

That being said, and repro/repaint/restoration will never approach the value of real ones, but as you say, the prices are very high, although they are down somewhat from their super high a few years ago.

If you just want a cool looking good repro for display, you should think At The Front, or look around eBay....lots of fakes advertised as real, but you can find very well done repros advertised and priced as such...lots of different styles...Normandy camo's, winter whitewash, chicken wire, etc...

Most of my helmets are real, original, and complete....2 single decal Armies, 2 single decal Luft's, a few no decals, one with a bread bag strap affixed, and the prize of my collection, a single decal SS....I have a couple of really nice repro Fallschirmjager helmets one as issued, one in aged Normandy camo...haven't lucked into one, and I won't pay full boat retail price for one....woy too expensive!

I can help you out with any questions you want, or pm me any eBay auctions you'd like me to look at....

Oh, and I wouldn't expect any significant rise in value with a repro...typically anything repro is death with collectors, they don't really want it....unless you find someone looking for exactly what you have, a repro for display who doesn't want to shell out for a real one...

And if you go with ATF, buy one of their original repainted shells, their repro's don't look so good, maybe fine for re-enacting, but not so much a nice one for display...
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw you asked this in GD...but since I am banned from GD () I couldn't answer....

I saw you asked about At The Front....their shit is top notch, you can't go wrong with one of theirs but it will look like a brand new unissued helmet...I don't think they offer their aging service any longer.

That being said, and repro/repaint/restoration will never approach the value of real ones, but as you say, the prices are very high, although they are down somewhat from their super high a few years ago.

If you just want a cool looking good repro for display, you should think At The Front, or look around eBay....lots of fakes advertised as real, but you can find very well done repros advertised and priced as such...lots of different styles...Normandy camo's, winter whitewash, chicken wire, etc...

Most of my helmets are real, original, and complete....2 single decal Armies, 2 single decal Luft's, a few no decals, one with a bread bag strap affixed, and the prize of my collection, a single decal SS....I have a couple of really nice repro Fallschirmjager helmets one as issued, one in aged Normandy camo...haven't lucked into one, and I won't pay full boat retail price for one....woy too expensive!

I can help you out with any questions you want, or pm me any eBay auctions you'd like me to look at....

Oh, and I wouldn't expect any significant rise in value with a repro...typically anything repro is death with collectors, they don't really want it....unless you find someone looking for exactly what you have, a repro for display who doesn't want to shell out for a real one...

And if you go with ATF, buy one of their original repainted shells, their repro's don't look so good, maybe fine for re-enacting, but not so much a nice one for display...
View Quote
ATF originals are the ones I’m looking at. I can’t afford an original untouched example, but when it comes down to it, I’m still a collector, and I don’t think a reproduction will do anything for me.

I just don’t want to drop $300+ on something that will never really appreciate in value, if that were to be the case.

ETA: Got any pics of your collection?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is are 2 pics, 5 real helmets, and one of the repop FJ helmets....I can take closer up pics if you want, this is just one I had on the computer...

Everything in the pics is real, except for the FJ helmet...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and that is not a flag in the background....That is a vehicle recognition pennant, what they ties onto the vehicles somewhere so Stuka's could tell friend from foe....they have four metal grommets, one on each corner to tie down...

There's a couple dudes in GD that would go ballistic if they saw my collection (and not in a good way)...lol...

But F them....
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The unfortunate fact is German helmets are expensive, even good repops/repaints can be pricey...

Actually your best be is to go to eBay, search German helmet, go to the repro section, and look, there are pages and pages, and likely one would strike your fancy at a decent price. But I really wouldn't hold much hope for a repro to really appreciate in value...for that you would want to get a real one, and they are a minefield anymore, that's something you'd need to buy from s really trustworthy individual, or go here:

http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

And post a WTB, or watch the trader there for guaranteed good stuff...

And here is some eBay stuff to look at....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/156432/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=german+helmets
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know just enough about that stuff to stay away from "Originals"  Even if it looks to be 70yrs old, there is still a good chance of being fucked, unless you really know what to look for, hell that goes with about anything Nazi these days.

I'd take 98k's advice, he is the German guy round here for the most part.
View Quote
Didn't the Spanish use the same helmet as the Germans in WW2.

I still want to throw up. I had an original Luftwaffe helmet I got from a pawn shop in 1988.  Original liner, It actaully fit my 7 3/4" head.  It had 3 bullets dents in the front

Fairly deep.  Looks like someone who brought it back used it for target practice.   Not sure if a 22 would dent it much.

Got rid of it after my divorce for $75.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Although not through and through German, IMA has Finnish M40 (M40/55) helmets for $50. They are practically the same as German helmets, just made after the war for the Finns and painted a different color. I can't speak to the liner though. IMAs website does a good job describing their history.
Finnish Contract M40's
I've been thinking about picking one up since it's cheap enough, and possibly turning it into a replica Wehrmacht M40 as a placeholder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Although not through and through German, IMA has Finnish M40 (M40/55) helmets for $50. They are practically the same as German helmets, just made after the war for the Finns and painted a different color. I can't speak to the liner though. IMAs website does a good job describing their history.
Finnish Contract M40's
I've been thinking about picking one up since it's cheap enough, and possibly turning it into a replica Wehrmacht M40 as a placeholder.
View Quote
I assume the sizing is a measurement of my head or is it the diameter of the helmet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I assume the sizing is a measurement of my head or is it the diameter of the helmet.
View Quote
The sizing is the helmet itself, the liner is the diameter of your head.

Shells are compatible with 2-3 liner sizes, 64 shells fit 56 or 57 liners, 66 shells fit 58 or 59 liners.

That’s my understanding, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Finnish Contract M40's
View Quote
That’s interesting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is are 2 pics, 5 real helmets, and one of the repop FJ helmets....I can take closer up pics if you want, this is just one I had on the computer...

Everything in the pics is real, except for the FJ helmet...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/20160728_213633-658595.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/20170526_000909-658596.JPG
View Quote
Awesome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice collection.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Another good place to check out is The Ghosts of the Eastern Front Battlefield Archaeology on Facebook. They're out of Russia and have a lot of relics. Website is stalingradfront.com
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
IMA wants almost $20 to ship that M40/55.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw that. I was just about to pull the trigger on one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you sign up for their email, you get 5% off.

Helps a little.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I still want to throw up. I had an original Luftwaffe helmet I got from a pawn shop in 1988.  Original liner, It actaully fit my 7 3/4" head.  It had 3 bullets dents in the front

Fairly deep.  Looks like someone who brought it back used it for target practice.   Not sure if a 22 would dent it much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know just enough about that stuff to stay away from "Originals"  Even if it looks to be 70yrs old, there is still a good chance of being fucked, unless you really know what to look for, hell that goes with about anything Nazi these days.

I'd take 98k's advice, he is the German guy round here for the most part.

The Spanish made German-style helmets on German machinery well after WW2. Spanish copies is the main reason I never got into collecting WW2 Nazi stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Spanish made German-style helmets on German machinery well after WW2. Spanish copies is the main reason I never got into collecting WW2 Nazi stuff.
View Quote
Spanish copies are easy to discern.

The metal is much thinner...the edges are raw, and not rolled like an M35 or 40, or flared out like an M42. They have a bracket attached to the front for a cockade, and they have 7 holes to hold the liner as opposed to 3...as one website says...

Ranking up there with “the check is in the mail” is “Made on German equipment for the Spanish army” or any other statement tying the Spanish Modelo helmet to Germany.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The metal is much thinner...the edges are raw, and not rolled like an M35 or 40, or flared out like an M42. They have a bracket attached to the front for a cockade, and they have 7 holes to hold the liner as opposed to 3...as one website says...

Ranking up there with “the check is in the mail” is “Made on German equipment for the Spanish army” or any other statement tying the Spanish Modelo helmet to Germany.
View Quote
I own a Spanish helmet and the comparison really is laughable.

The steel is so thin as to be pointless.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I would LOVE an authentic German helmet, but i doubt it will ever happen because there are so many high priced repros out there and i cant tell the difference
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would LOVE an authentic German helmet, but i doubt it will ever happen because there are so many high priced repros out there and i cant tell the difference
View Quote
Yeah, I'm seriously considering the Finnish M40/55 for that reason. It's a second cousin, sure.
They have an area for hand-select requests... what would be a smart request to get one as "original" as possible?

I should add that this is purely for my home collection, not reenactment etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Bit the bullet and ordered a Finn, I was very picky in the request area.

Their description says that some are dated WWII, I asked for that, in field grey, without the third hole.

I’m still planning to grab a German M42 soon, but since I’ve always wanted an M40, this should do nicely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Another good place to check out is The Ghosts of the Eastern Front Battlefield Archaeology on Facebook. They're out of Russia and have a lot of relics. Website is stalingradfront.com
View Quote
Very cool website.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranking up there with "the check is in the mail" is "Made on German equipment for the Spanish army" or any other statement tying the Spanish Modelo helmet to Germany.

40 years ago, information regarding the subject matter was a little sparse on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
40 years ago, information regarding the subject matter was a little sparse on the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ranking up there with "the check is in the mail" is "Made on German equipment for the Spanish army" or any other statement tying the Spanish Modelo helmet to Germany.

True.

I was born after Al Gore invented the internet, so I guess that’s something I don’t think about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been a WW2 buff since I was five years old.  The one piece of history I always wanted was a German helmet.  Even in the 80's and 90's a real German helmet was expensive.  I've seen some really good pieces over the years too.  The best one I saw came home with a vet.  He took it off a peg board in a Flak position.  Even 60 years later it still looked brand new.  Many German helmets I came across looked like shit.  They all came home in duffel bags or by mail and the years of being handled or played with by the vets kids took their toll on them.

For a long time I was pretty discouraged about finding a German helmet in decent shape for a somewhat decent price.  Then I found out about At The Front around 2001.  In 2002 I was pretty flush with cash and bought an M-42 helmet.  The shell was all original but with new hardware.  It's no Normandy Camo or SS double decal, but good enough for me.  You still have a piece of history, albeit a remade one.  If you go with one of their helmets you will be pretty happy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Watch out for aged faked helmets, especially airborne ones form any nation .

At The Front often has good deals on original shell rebuilds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bit the bullet and ordered a Finn, I was very picky in the request area.

Their description says that some are dated WWII, I asked for that, in field grey, without the third hole.

I’m still planning to grab a German M42 soon, but since I’ve always wanted an M40, this should do nicely.
View Quote
Did you size up? Some of the reviews thought it would have been a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Finnish Contract M40's
View Quote
Most of the smaller sizes (64 and under) are German shells and marked ET64 Ckl64 etc
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my IMA M40/55

I requested a shell without the additional holes for the Finnish style chinstrap, field grey color, and I asked for it to be in as good condition as possible.

What I got was a decent shell, no major rust, and only a few minor dents. The paint is a little rough, but not terrible.

The liner however is shot.

The cord that is used to tie the tongues ripped through most of them, it's pretty much unusable at this point.

I'm debating whether to leave it alone, attempt a repair of the already tired liner, or drill the pins out and drop in a German liner.

I did not order up a size and it is a tad small.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Well damn, if that’s what you get for “as nice as possible”...

I’m a little surprised that’s what you get for the hand select fee.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well damn, if that’s what you get for “as nice as possible”...

I’m a little surprised that’s what you get for the hand select fee.
View Quote
No kidding, I may send them an email and ask to return.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No kidding, I may send them an email and ask to return.
View Quote
If you’re planning to strip it and make a German replica, I guess it’s workable. But it’s BS that that’s hand select.

I wanted one in original Finn configuration, but if that’s what I’ll get...maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Are there any size/maker stamps on the inside of the skirt? You should order some repro rivets and liner and do a repaint and refit
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are there any size/maker stamps on the inside of the skirt? You should order some repro rivets and liner and do a repaint and refit
View Quote
None.

Honestly, by the time it's done Ill have close to $200 in it, and it still wont be real.

I sent IMA a message, bet they make me eat shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you’re planning to strip it and make a German replica, I guess it’s workable. But it’s BS that that’s hand select.

I wanted one in original Finn configuration, but if that’s what I’ll get...maybe not.
View Quote
That wasn't at all the plan, but it's either that or return it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#40]
IMA is probaby hitting the bottom of the barrel with these by now. They have been selling them for years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#41]
That really does not impress me quality wise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
IMA is probaby hitting the bottom of the barrel with these by now. They have been selling them for years.
View Quote
IMA is full of shit, like most places, they charge extra for "hand select" and then just pick something off the top, they don't hand select shit.

Hell, they don't even make sure parts sets are complete...

Way back when I ordered a complete Vickers dummy gun, and MG-15...at the time it was like a $3k order....

Got them and they were missing pieces and parts...not major parts to be sure, but enough to notice, I called them up and bitched a blue streak and they promised to sed me the missing parts...which they never did, I had to buy them from other sources....

Your liner fingers can probably be repaired...by the leather equivalent of "paper assholes" you know, those three ring binder punch re-inforcements....

Glue one to each side of the finger holes with leather glue, and Bob's your uncle, should be good....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Received a reply from IMA.

Because I had multiple requests (no extra holes, grey, WWII date, which it isn’t dated btw), this was the nicest example they had with my requests in mind.

They said I can still return it if desired, but I will have to eat the shipping both ways according to their FAQs.

So I can either send it back and be out ~$35~ for nothing, repair it,  or spend another $100 making it into a German helmet sans the value...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because I had multiple requests (no extra holes, grey, WWII date, which it isn’t dated btw), this was the nicest example they had with my requests in mind.

They said I can still return it if desired, but I will have to eat the shipping both ways according to their FAQs.

So I can either send it back and be out ~$35~ for nothing, repair it,  or spend another $100 making it into a German helmet sans the value...
View Quote
Yeah that's BS if it's not a WWII example...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way to know as far as I can tell.

Maybe the markings were painted over, who knows... most likely I’ll order a German liner, and paint.

Can’t say that I’d be excited to do business with them again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No way to know as far as I can tell.

Maybe the markings were painted over, who knows... most likely I’ll order a German liner, and paint.

Can’t say that I’d be excited to do business with them again.
View Quote
German shells were never dated, all they had stamped into them was manufacturer and lot (something along the lines of ET 612, etc..) and shell size. If you see those stamps in the metal on the inside of the rim, typically in the back and side, it is a WWII German shell...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Over a years ago I got one of the Finn models. I got the 61 cm, which is not listed now. It was new from war reserves. New liner etc. I mean never worn.

I then ordered one of the scratch and dent models for my son. It was smaller no choice. I think 56cm, Fits him at 11 years old loose. Top was dented in.

Three huge dents. I can only say it would take a grown man slamming it onto a fence post three times to make those dents.
It has the been there done that surplus look. I pressed the dents out mostly.
Its complete, worn headliner but good shape.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I’ve pretty much decided to restore the helmet, but I need a game plan.

Just to clarify, I need to drill the liner rivets out, correct?

Will a German liner drop right in, or are the holes too small?

Best way to knock out small dents?

Also, is sandblasting the best course, or should I go another route? I found some field grey helmet paint online that I plan to use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’ve pretty much decided to restore the helmet, but I need a game plan.

Just to clarify, I need to drill the liner rivets out, correct?

Will a German liner drop right in, or are the holes too small?

Best way to knock out small dents?

Also, is sandblasting the best course, or should I go another route? I found some field grey helmet paint online that I plan to use.
View Quote
I got two of these years ago, one was unissued that I saved and one was beat up. Mine has split pins like the German pins but not correct. The paint is very hard. I tried a chemical strip which didnt do much so ended up blasting it. Are your liner pins rivets or split pins? I would try a chemical strip first to see if there are any maker markings in the skirt before you blast. As for the dents I would leave them and try to age the helmet a bit after you paint to coincide with the dents. Are you using the 1944 Militaria paint or another? I have had good results with their stuff and mixing it with AO blasting media for a good late war finish. There is a guy on ebay out of Czech that has good liners and chin straps for a decent price if you dont want to use one of the bugger shops here.

ETA being a smaller size shell Id bet there are German markings under the paint.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I got two of these years ago, one was unissued that I saved and one was beat up. Mine has split pins like the German pins but not correct. The paint is very hard. I tried a chemical strip which didnt do much so ended up blasting it. Are your liner pins rivets or split pins?

Rivets

I would try a chemical strip first to see if there are any maker markings in the skirt before you blast. As for the dents I would leave them and try to age the helmet a bit after you paint to coincide with the dents. Are you using the 1944 Militaria paint or another?

That was my intention, it was the first hit in bing and looked pretty good.

I have had good results with their stuff and mixing it with AO blasting media for a good late war finish.

There is a guy on ebay out of Czech that has good liners and chin straps for a decent price if you dont want to use one of the bugger shops here.

I’ll czech those out.

Sorry.

ETA being a smaller size shell Id bet there are German markings under the paint.
I thought that was on the 62 and 64? This is a 66, or supposed to be anyway.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top