Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/10/2018 11:59:35 PM EDT
I want a bark river.
Too many choices. Cant decide.
Also what steel... a2? 3v?
I camp, fish, hunt, fuck around in the woods.

Budget $230. Spend my money.

For reference. I own esse, benchmade, and spyderco fixed blade knives. Am i going to be disapointed?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you like smaller or bigger knives?

I have... a bunch of them and I'm a dealer so I could provide a decent recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not in a rush order this and wait to see if they actually fill the order.

Retracted
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are not in a rush order this and wait to see if they actually fill the order.
View Quote
If you post those deals in areas available for all to view some dummy will ruin it for everyone. It happens quite frequently so please remove the link.

OP is aware of the deal.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend the Gunny model as a great 1st BRKT, size is in the middle and can be had in a lot of options. My gunny in A2 takes a great edge, in fact it's the sharpest knife I own. I really like their 3V as well. A2 will get sharper than 3V, 3V will stay sharper than A2 by 2x / 3x. Virtuovoice on YouTube is a wealth of info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Most people seem to start out with one in the Bravo line, but there are so many to choose from.  They also make the Blackjack Classic knives.  I have several Bark Rivers and Blackjacks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys...good start. I appreciate the info
So far gunny and bravo are on the list.
Any other speific info would be great.

Ill check out that youtube link.
So many choices...
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an older Bravo and it's been a reliable blade over the years.

Do know most of BRKT's knives are convex-ground.  You'll want to pick up a strop and maybe even an old mouse pad and some 1500+grit wet/dry sandpaper (for more serious sharpening or edge repair).  I have a serious preference for convex ground blades.  I've found them some of the most robust, yet sharpest profiles for outdoors work and even combat.  You will find stropping periodically (with compound added) will keep your Bark River razor sharp.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you like smaller or bigger knives?

I have... a bunch of them and I'm a dealer so I could provide a decent recommendation.
View Quote
Somewhere in the middle. Just a good all arond size.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an older Bravo and it's been a reliable blade over the years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Hiking%20Pictures/Pisgah-2.jpg

Do know most of BRKT's knives are convex-ground.  You'll want to pick up a strop and maybe even an old mouse pad and some 1500+grit wet/dry sandpaper (for more serious sharpening or edge repair).  I have a serious preference for convex ground blades.  I've found them some of the most robust, yet sharpest profiles for outdoors work and even combat.  You will find stropping periodically (with compound added) will keep your Bark River razor sharp.

ROCK6
View Quote
I know about the grind. Have not had one like this but ive been sharpening knives for a long while... im sure i can figure it out. Might get a cheapo knife to practice on...

More importantly....tell me about that rod in the pic. I need info...i want that...lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know about the grind. Have not had one like this but ive been sharpening knives for a long while... im sure i can figure it out. Might get a cheapo knife to practice on...

More importantly....tell me about that rod in the pic. I need info...i want that...lol
View Quote
Convex is nothing special and actually pretty easy to pick up for sharpening.  The rod is by EMMROD, kind a of a niche rod company that designs a unique, compact rod for the backcountry; a little on the expensive side as well.  I love their fly rod which acts like a 9' rod in the open, but I can maneuver in the more dense mountain foliage to get to the smaller creeks and holes.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the rod info...looks cool. Im getting one.
Also...how do you resharpen in the field... carry a small strop/s paper?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My first BR was a Mini Seax. No regrets
Dennis
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the rod info...looks cool. Im getting one.
Also...how do you resharpen in the field... carry a small strop/s paper?
View Quote
I used to pack the JRE Pack Strop, which is a great strop, but it really depends how much you use it, how hard you use it, and how long you're in the field.  I can go a couple weeks and just touch it up with a small, fine ceramic rod when in the field and a properly heat-treated convex edge will hold it's edge a long time.  I've known guys who wear a leather belt, just strop on the leather for touch ups as well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks rock6...much appreciated info.
Been looking and im leaning towards the gunny but i really really like the look of the fox river...

Might have to get both.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks rock6...much appreciated info.
Been looking and im leaning towards the gunny but i really really like the look of the fox river...

Might have to get both.
View Quote
I have the Fox River as well.  I would say it's more of a "sportsman's" blade with a thinner edge for cleaning fish and skinning game, but still stout enough for camp chores.  The Bravo-1 and derivatives are more brutish field knives; most are 3/16" and hefty for that purpose.  I don't have the Gunny, but it falls into the same mold as the Bravo-1.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have the Fox River as well.  I would say it's more of a "sportsman's" blade with a thinner edge for cleaning fish and skinning game, but still stout enough for camp chores.  The Bravo-1 and derivatives are more brutish field knives; most are 3/16" and hefty for that purpose.  I don't have the Gunny, but it falls into the same mold as the Bravo-1.

ROCK6
View Quote
Exactly .......another note that really stood out to me was the handle, the Fox River has plain slab handles. The Bravo series all has contoured handles and having the EDC, 2-Gunny's, a Bravo1 & 1.5 this really stood out. I have a new mini fox river in 3V that just sits because it just doesn't feel right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Gunny or Bravo 1LT. The LT has a thinner spine than the Bravo 1, but is still plenty thick.

They are pieces of art. Truly spectacular examples of American craftsmanship. I own both. I will say the sheath that comes with the Bravo 1LT is idiotic. DLT Trading sells a nice kydex one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems like everyone likes that gunny or brovo.
Im going with the gunny hunter. Seems just like the gunny just more of a drop point.

Appreciate the info. If i end up liking it... a bravo lt might be next.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems like everyone likes that gunny or brovo.
Im going with the gunny hunter. Seems just like the gunny just more of a drop point.

Appreciate the info. If i end up liking it... a bravo lt might be next.
View Quote
Nice, what did you get for blade material ...........A2, 3V, Cru-wear, S35VN, Elmax ?????
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The Gunny Hunter is a great choice I have Gunny’s in A2, CPM-35 and Elmax. All are fine blades and sharpen to a scary edge. I have a single Bravo 1 LT cru-wear and a  Drop Point Hunter in Elmax both really nice blades also. The Gunny is the best all around size for a hunting knife to me personally. The Bravo 1 LT is a close #2 I carry my Bravo the most while out hunting I’m not sure why I just always grab it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#21]
One suggestion for field sharpening that I learned from an article by Phil Wilson (knifemaker) is to treat the welt of your leather sheath with an abrasive. He used the slurry from a Norton Crystolon stone (silicon carbide, I believe) and dabbed it on the edge of the sheath and would strop with that.

I use green stropping compound on my sheath, and it gives a good touch up.

A single sharpmaker ceramic rod is light and compact as well, as are DMT diamond plates that are credit card sized.  No excuse for a dull knife!
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Rampless Gunny is one of my favorites. I picked up a First Run Bravo Squad Leader and if I had one knife to take, that would probably be it. Here is a pic
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
So im ordering this week. A2 is what i want. Good blend of tough and easy sharpening.

Have some a2 knives so im used to the metal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Gunny Hunter is a great choice I have Gunny’s in A2, CPM-35 and Elmax. All are fine blades and sharpen to a scary edge. I have a single Bravo 1 LT cru-wear and a  Drop Point Hunter in Elmax both really nice blades also. The Gunny is the best all around size for a hunting knife to me personally. The Bravo 1 LT is a close #2 I carry my Bravo the most while out hunting I’m not sure why I just always grab it.

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/2787/zBGPJg.jpg
View Quote
Dang nice lineup. Those look realy nice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#25]
You will be plenty happy with the A2 steel Bark River does a good job of heat treating their A2 it holds a edge well yet is very tough and resharpenable in the field if needed. I have more of the stainless steels blades  right now mainly Elmax it’s one of my favorite steels overall and I have no issue sharpening it and rust is never a issue.  The Cru-Wear steel in the Bravo is really nice also holds a great edge, easy to resharpen and like most non-stainless blades it tends to show a little darker color with age which I kind of like personally its gives the knife some character. Really you can’t go wrong with A2, 3V,4V,Cru-Wear,S35,Elmax they are all great steels.

I have had wood,G10,carbon fiber and micatra handles on my BK’s  and overall like the feel and durability of the micarta best personally. It tends to wear to a more flat finish with use and has alittle grip to it even when wet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Bark River Phoenix 2, with black micarta scales. They used 1095 steel for the blade, and it seems to be holding an edge pretty good. I use it as an EDC knife, and it carries on the belt very nicely.
My only complaint is the sheath for it seems like it was made for a different knife. Loose fitting on the knife, and seems a little hokey. I'm looking at having a Kydex sheath made for it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Hate to be a broken record here but the Bark River Gunny is perfect!!  I was on a state work trip to Escanaba and on my way home stopped in a knife shop on US-2 just before Gladwin...walked out of there with the Gunny 1st production run $145!! It’s made of A2 steel.  Feels perfect in hand. Guts and skins a deer and Still shaves hair off arm!  Beautiful leather sheath too!  Hard use knives. Period

H
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#28]
My first fixed blade knife was a Bravo-1 (mine has Bastogne walnut scales).  It is a beautiful knife.  It came with a surprisingly good leather sheath.

It carries easily.  It is as sharp as can be.

The blade is 1/2" longer than the Gunny but I feel it could be, should be, a bit (1/4" to 1/2") longer.  The handle is fine and I have HUGE hands. It has handled every task I've asked of it, including splitting wood for kindling.

Would I buy another?  Well, yes, but this one has held up so well, I don't need to.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top