Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2018 1:16:08 PM EDT
Thinking of dipping my toe in the NFA world and buying a silencer.
I've been fingerprinted by the local sheriff's office for something dumb I did years ago. Do they keep them on file forever and would I be able to just take them cards to have them printed out?
Wondering if anyone has done this or do I just have new ones done.
Thanks for listening
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just get new ones, odds are they won't have the old ones.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
And personally I wouldn't be like "oh hey you have my info on file for stupid shit I did years ago, can I have a copy so I can buy a suppressor"?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thinking of dipping my toe in the NFA world and buying a silencer.
I've been fingerprinted by the local sheriff's office for something dumb I did years ago. Do they keep them on file forever and would I be able to just take them cards to have them printed out?
Wondering if anyone has done this or do I just have new ones done.
Thanks for listening
View Quote
You need to use cards from ATF as they have the correct return identifier on them so the FBI know who to give the results to.

You can order them online.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You want new and updated cards which reflect your current prints, I normally just do my own prints.  As long as your sheriff uses standard cards, the ID number should be on the card for that agency, you can print or write the correct information on the card, or you can order cards from the ATF website and they will send them to you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You need to use cards from ATF as they have the correct return identifier on them so the FBI know who to give the results to.

View Quote
You can use any standard print card, they don't have to come from the ATF and you can add the correct information to the cards yourself.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes, your FFL will be equipped to do all of this for you. Check before proceeding, unless you're doing a Form1.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/finger-print-card-instructions-and-example-fd-258
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And personally I wouldn't be like "oh hey you have my info on file for stupid shit I did years ago, can I have a copy so I can buy a suppressor"?
View Quote
Wow didn't even cross my mind about that, thanks for the heads up.
And thanks to all who've answered so far, I appreciate the insight.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

You can use any standard print card, they don't have to come from the ATF and you can add the correct information to the cards yourself.
View Quote
ATF has a pre-made sticker for the ORI block to put the correct info on there if you dont add it manually.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reply Josh, you guys will be hearing from me in the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ATF has a pre-made sticker for the ORI block to put the correct info on there if you dont add it manually.
View Quote
Yes, I know they do, I order several of them a year from them, but you don't have to use those, you can use any standard FBI print card and write the information in if you want, I do a lot of prints for my friends and have run out of the pre-printed ones and just put the information on the cards myself.

Like the poster above said, you want the FD-258 cards.

There are lots of companies that sell cards, but as has been said many times, you can order them for free from the BATF and roll your own prints.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's not what he was saying...he wasn't talking about the FD-258LE cards you get from the ATF for free with the info already stamped.

Read his reply again.
View Quote
I was not arguing with him Waylon.  You can get stickers, you can get cards, you can hand write the information in, all they care about is the information is there and it is correct.  Every time a fingerprint thread comes up it gets as confusing as pistol threads and getting prints done is not a confusing subject.

I would not advise getting your Red Card from being arrested and sending it to the BATF, just get new prints done and send it off with your application.

Sorry if anybody thought I was arguing.

ETA:  I thought we had a sticky around here about finger prints and doing your own and how to fill the card out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered cards from the ATF, really simple with the added bonus of them being free.
I would like to say thanks again all for the help and setting me straight, I appreciate it.
Now the fun of deciding which can I want
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was not arguing with him Waylon.  You can get stickers, you can get cards, you can hand write the information in, all they care about is the information is there and it is correct.  Every time a fingerprint thread comes up it gets as confusing as pistol threads and getting prints done is not a confusing subject.

I would not advise getting your Red Card from being arrested and sending it to the BATF, just get new prints done and send it off with your application.

ETA:  I thought we had a sticky around here about finger prints and doing your own and how to fill the card out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what he was saying...he wasn't talking about the FD-258LE cards you get from the ATF for free with the info already stamped.

Read his reply again.

I was stating that ATF will put their stickers on any card with incorrect ORI info. All my post-41print cards have been mailed in with whatever my sheriff's office ORI info is printed on them. If you want to write it in there, go ahead. If its wrong, ATF fixes it before mailing in to FBI
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was stating that ATF will put their stickers on any card with incorrect ORI info. All my post-41print cards have been mailed in with whatever my sheriff's office ORI info is printed on them. If you want to write it in there, go ahead. If its wrong, ATF fixes it before mailing in to FBI
View Quote
Not a problem with me, I probably misunderstood what you were saying.  Sorry.

I guess I was just saying you don't have to get the cards from the BATF, you can use any acceptable card and there is a lot of places to get them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I was just saying you don't have to get the cards from the BATF, you can use any acceptable card and there is a lot of places to get them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We do...

It's part of my forms guide: F1/F4 guide for 41F submissions
View Quote
Thanks BW,

For the life of me, I could not find it earlier!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top