Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2020 9:21:32 AM EDT
I have a set of PVS-15 (Gen 3 thin filmed L3 GP) NODS and I am starting to see dark streaks remain in the tube after scanning over an outdoor house light, etc

The physics makes sense as to what is causing this, but should I be concerned? Are these tubes on their way out? Autogating works in very bright areas.

Sometimes the dark shadow traces of the light stay in the tube for a while and become pretty annoying.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My get a better response of you move this to Armory> Night Vision.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If its just a black line like a hair laying on your lens a streaking mark then that is normal and nothing to worry about. The lines should fade away within a few minutes, Some tubes will do this more than others but it will not hurt your tube.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got an old 14 that is one streaky girl

My new set of Elbit tubes in a BNVD dont do it at all or not to a degree that I can readily tell.

I wish there was some sort of spec that showed this to buyers because I agree its annoying as hell vs one that doesnt do it.

After having a set that doesnt streak I cant say Id want to get a new one down the road that does
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is common. If you get a severe case of NV etch a sketch, turning on a decent illuminator will clear it up quick, or continuing to look in the direction of the light source usually does the trick too. Obviously don't do it with too intense of a light source like headlights, lol.

As an example, I have some ground lights near the house and when I'm walking back my thin filmed tubes will streak. I don't look away but I'm also not staring right at them either and the streaks dissipate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Technical term is MCP (Micro Channel Plate) Oversaturation.

Natural phenomenon, some Intensifiers are more prone to this. These typically fade with time, as well as lessen when a tube warms after a few minutes.

If these linger for long periods of time, you can "shoebox" your unit. Just avoid bright light sources as a rule of thumb for extended amounts of time anyway.

Quoted:
I have a set of PVS-15 (Gen 3 thin filmed L3 GP) NODS and I am starting to see dark streaks remain in the tube after scanning over an outdoor house light, etc

The physics makes sense as to what is causing this, but should I be concerned? Are these tubes on their way out? Autogating works in very bright areas.

Sometimes the dark shadow traces of the light stay in the tube for a while and become pretty annoying.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Agreed.

Quoted:
We need to have a permanent sticky for this
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
For what's it worth I was sighting in my perst 3 using 2" squares of reflective tape. First time I had my LIF on my pvs and had nothing shadow my unit.

2nd go (moved it to another rifle) I had the LIF off this time and noticed circular splashes within secs. I was at 100 yrd and had the ir laser as low it would go.

I thought it filters primarily green but it appears it helps in ir as well.

I'm going out again in a couple nights and I'll confirm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top