Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2018 10:27:11 PM EDT
If you have one does it work?  Worth the price?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier

Don't have one, but this may be helpful.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Bootleg for a better value with no feature sacrifices.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it is a fantastic bcg and well worth the money imo. The guys at Gemtech gave me one a couple years ago and love it. So naturally, I bought another.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, they work. I run 2 of them.
Found them for a good price on the EE, so ya, it was definitely worth it.
Even if I had to pay full price, I would have.

Regards,
Doc
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Cheaper.  Better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This. Cheaper.  Better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. Cheaper.  Better.
Not entirely true at the moment... not knocking the bootleg by any means, but the current version is a lightweight carrier without Forward Assist searrations and is not full auto rated. This doesn't affect most, but worth the disclosure.

They have announced a Gen 2 unit that adds those features, but I haven't seen a MSRP on it...

Have both, like the Bootleg especially at the price I was able to get it at, but just pointing out the above...
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine seems to work as advertised. I have standard pinned front sights on all my hosts so no adjustable gas. On suppressed setting it vents enough gas that none cycle without the can (carbine, mid and rifle-length gas). With a can they run fine and it does seem to smooth them all out a bit and slow things down as evidenced by brass ejection with and without it. Not scientific by any means and YMMV, etc....
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not entirely true at the moment... not knocking the bootleg by any means, but the current version is a lightweight carrier without Forward Assist searrations and is not full auto rated. This doesn't affect most, but worth the disclosure.

They have announced a Gen 2 unit that adds those features, but I haven't seen a MSRP on it...

Have both, like the Bootleg especially at the price I was able to get it at, but just pointing out the above...
View Quote
Yeah.  It is.  Try google next time.

New Style Full Auto Carrier- $179

It’s the ENTIRE BOLT CARRIER GROUP- including the bolt assembly/ firing pin / cam pin / etc.

$179.95 complete vs. $225 for just the Carrier.
4 positions instead of two.
Adjustable inside the gun.
Full Auto Rated.
Serrations for the forward assist.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
What makes the bootleg one not full auto rated?
It says it’s made of S7 tool steel... is that not rough enough?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What makes the bootleg one not full auto rated?
It says it’s made of S7 tool steel... is that not rough enough?
View Quote
The original one didn’t have the full Auto cut. The new one does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s the ENTIRE BOLT CARRIER GROUP- including the bolt assembly/ firing pin / cam pin / etc.

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
View Quote
Solid value. I have a few of the generation 1's that have been great. My only desired upgrade feature is a version in hard chrome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Gemtech SBC in a 10.3” and it runs flawlessly. Perfect case ejection  patern supressed and un supressed as long as you remember to switch settings.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Gemtech in my personal rifle and it works great. I am also one of the armorers for my department and we currently have 25 Gemtech bolts in the patrol rifles. No issues with them and they work like advertised.

I have been waiting to buy another one for a long time, but they never seem to be in stock anywhere, so I just purchased the new Bootleg carrier. I will have to compare them when I get the bootleg.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Have one. Great on an overgassed BCM.

I’d try that bootleg if I needed another one. Nice that’s it’s a complete BCG.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
When I searched it took me to the sale priced gen 1's, didn't realize they had already released the second gen...
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't tried the Gemtech. Have the original Bootleg lightweight. It is awesome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Terrato, are those ranger bands on your sling? For storage?

What light is that?

FYI I ordered the bootleg gen2 from site sponsor Brightflashlights. Also got a new style BCM charge handle so Im not sure on exact cost, total was $217 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Terrato, are those ranger bands on your sling? For storage?

What light is that?

FYI I ordered the bootleg gen2 from site sponsor Brightflashlights. Also got a new style BCM charge handle so Im not sure on exact cost, total was $217 shipped.
View Quote
@Holdemdown

Yes, for sling storage. Keeps it from getting caught on other stuff in the safe quite so much. I like to keep my gear tidy.

Light is an Arisaka 300 series (SF Scout clone) with a Malkoff head. It's my favorite for a carbine / SBR right now.
https://arisakadefense.com/collections/light-mounts/products/300-series-light
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The light kinda looked like a scout but didnt, that explains it.

Using a scout head or something else?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. Cheaper.  Better.
View Quote
Tr00f!

Have both. Prefer the Bootleg.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The light kinda looked like a scout but didnt, that explains it.

Using a scout head or something else?
View Quote
Malkoff Devices E1T Scout head
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the Gemtech in my 11.5" SBR that was way overgassed with my form 1 suppressor. Works great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got the 2A Armament RBC and like it. It’s light weight and has infinite adjustment on the gas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
View Quote
Thanks, been keepin my eye out for one but I didn't think to check the manufacturer

Got one on the way now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#26]
ETA:  Already covered.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep seeing people toss around "not full auto rated" for the earlier Bootleg carriers, possibly due to the mfg's own wording.

It's been noted but I want to make sure there isn't further confusion about this;  it's not about a durability thing like "full auto rated" cans; it's simply that the carrier dimensions won't function properly with auto components (should your stamp collection include those), just like a regular "semi" AR bolt carrier.

If you don't have a lower that needs that, then there is a negligible difference, just like between normal FA/SA carriers - and no reason not to grab the 1st gen ones for cheap if you don't have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a Bootleg, you guys convinced me to try one.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are the deals on the gen 1 bootleg carriers?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#31]
New bootleg has fwd assist serration and is adjustable in firearm.  I can't see any reason not to go with this one, plus it's a complete bolt and less $$$.

Is this Bolt stand-alone enough to deflect gas and blowback when suppressed shooting, or would you also need to add a gas ditching charging handle?
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#32]
While the Gemtech unit does reduce blowback and big speed, it also increases noise at the ear and by allowing more hot gasses to travel freely back to the receiver, increased heat from the gas tube helps to warm up hand guards quickly. I went back to a BCM bcg. The increased noise at the ear and heat wasn't worth the minor decrease in blowback. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I got the gen 2 Bootleg BCG out to the range today and compared it to my Gemtech. At first I thought the Bootleg vented more gas, but after putting both BCGs in the same gun it looked like my brass was ejecting in the same spot for both.

As of right now I can say I really trust the Gemtech carrier since I have so many rounds through one. The Bootleg carrier seems to be just as good, I just need to put some more rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full Auto Rated.
45 in stock.

Like I said previously-

Cheaper.  Better.
While the bootleg is cheaper the Gemtech vents more gas than the Bootleg does on its most open setting. So to some that would make the Gemtech better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top