User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2018 6:25:20 PM EDT
New to night vision and thinking of purchasing the following,

Wilcox L4 WLS Three Hole Shroud
Crye Precision Nightcap™ NVG Platform
TNV/PVS-14 Harris Gen3 PINNACLE
Norotos USGI "Rhino" Mount Arm

Steiner OTAL Class 1 IR Laser

Is this a well rounded selection? Are these items compatible with each other?  And will a pvs -14 be ok for someone that has to have eyeglasses?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d look at a nicer mount than the Rhino.  Even just bumping to a Rhino II gives a lot more adjustment and ease of use.  Other than that it seems like good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
New to night vision and thinking of purchasing the following,

Wilcox L4 WLS Three Hole Shroud
Crye Precision Nightcap™ NVG Platform
TNV/PVS-14 Harris Gen3 PINNACLE
Norotos USGI "Rhino" Mount Arm

Steiner OTAL Class 1 IR Laser

Is this a well rounded selection? Are these items compatible with each other?  And will a pvs -14 be ok for someone that has to have eyeglasses?
View Quote
No to the rhino, yes to the rhino 2 which can be had on fleabay for around $59.

I’d also consider passing on the OTAL and getting at least a dbal i2 version 9007 which is ir laser and IR Illuminator.   You want to use those in unison.

You could save up an extra $300 and get a dbal d2 which has a WAY better illuminator and also a visible slaved laser which makes sighting in the ir laser easier.

So in summary I’d save up an extra $325 for the stuff I mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys.. Order made now for the waiting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what you ended up ordering, but, if you went with your first list, consider getting illum, such as a SF Viper head with body, tail cap, and mount of choice (see Ariska for ideas).  Also would recommend TAPS Pro switch (TNVC)  for double tap constant on, and slaving pointer and illum together.

The Rhino II is a huge improvement over the legacy Rhino, and at a decent price (yeah it's eBay but what the hell).  You will also need a GI J-arm if not included with -14.  Nice to have a spare if the one it comes with is a little loose (quality does vary; GI's go through boxes of them for best fit, which must be nice).

Consider a lanyard for the -14.  If nothing else, a mini "S" hook and a hank of paracord.

Get a sacrificial front lens cover, if not included.  Consider the GI LIF and a #07 Butler Creek cover (which can be modified as a diopter cover- see other threads)

Consider a Wilcox amber filter, in lieu of rear eye cup.  Will work much better with (safety) glasses.  If you can't get enough stand-off with the night cap, just roll back the issue eye cup.  The closer your prescription glasses snug up to your face, the better.  Possibly adjust nose pads out and/or add thin strip of foam/tape to top of frames.

This will get you up and running, although you may want a hard-shell helmet pretty soon.  Even if just a bump helmet to start with (OpsCore).  The night cap is very handy, but the helmet just adds some features.  For instance, with side rails you can now run bungees, which really helps with a Rhino II/ J-arm mount system.  Also will give you much more stand-off adjustment, for wearing glasses.  And allows ear pro mounting to the rails, as well as a counter weight pouch in the rear.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I went the cheap route and slapped this on my Rhino mount.
AB Nightvision vertical slide adapter
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went the cheap route and slapped this on my Rhino mount.
AB Nightvision vertical slide adapter
View Quote
That's cool. Didn't know that existed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up changing to  the dbal 9007  And will get a better mount .. looking at the rhino 2 as suggested, And It will be no problem to make a homemade lanyard.

Good info..  Would the vertical slide adapter be redundant on the rhino 2?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ended up changing to  the dbal 9007  And will get a better mount .. looking at the rhino 2 as suggested, And It will be no problem to make a homemade lanyard.

View Quote
Yes. The vertical adjustment on the rino II is the best improvement.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its a steal right now at $25 bucks, if you have a rhino I, it made a big difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Right on.  If you go that route, take a piece of (gutted) paracord, knot each end, and trap behind shroud when you install it.  There's usually a hole or slot somewhere.  I did this on a VAS shroud but assume the Wilcox is similar.  Knot one end of the lanyard and pass through one of the holes on the -14.  Tie off the other end with a bowline and rig mini "S" hook between it and the shroud cord.  Wilcox makes a nice lanyard system, but this is also perfectly functional.

With a night cap, you might want to make sure that thing is fitted tight, like a skull cap, so it won't be pulled off your head, like a drogue 'chute.  If your -14 hits the deck, it will look like Wil-E-Coyote burning in with an ACME parachute.

In fact, I modified mine, with two 1" straps and velcro around back, which tightens things way down (and allows you to hang a C/W pouch).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top