Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2020 8:46:10 PM EDT
I am still looking for 8208 XBR...

I have nothing for 9mm I had out that on hold during this adoption. Looking for unique or a couple others - no luck.

Wanted to try Varget - lol

So I decided to roll the dice and ordered a pound of Shooters World Ultimate Pistol and 2 pounds shooters world Precision.

They fell under midways free ship coupon so I just had the $11.99 Hazmat.

Couldn't find an 8208 XBR alternate.

Anyone like and have success with them?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooter world precision has been great for me.  For 5.56 I normally load 24.0gr with a 77gr SMK with Varget.  With SW Precision I need about 24.2gr to duplicated it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have got VERY good results from sw precision, tighter than varget has produced for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The precision rifle and varget produce very similar results in .308 with a 175SMK.

From a 20" barrel, FGMM case, BR2 primer... at around 85*

43gr SWPR gave me 2587 while 43gr VARGET gave 2572. Both could be loaded hotter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to say my buddy had good results trying sw precision but my buddy is beast556 haha. Here in colorado ive been able to find 8208xbr something somewhat similar might be shooters world match rifle though its a ball powder (supposedly near identical to aa2520) also h4895 (not imr4895) and 8208xbr are supposed to be similar (not the same but similar) another "alternative" to varget might be imr4064 if loading 308 ive been bugging beast556 to try 4064 for months now I love it with about 42.4 grains under some old pulled 118nm bullets
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
H4895 is incredibly close to IMR-8208-XBR in burn rate.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
H4895 is incredibly close to IMR-8208-XBR in burn rate.
View Quote

Does it meter as well?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does it meter as well?
View Quote
Probably meters about the same as they are both adi powders all the adi powders I have look the same except their hue or green or yellow, I use h322 h4198 varget and imr8208xbr they all seem to meter the same... Decent through my lee auto drum
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I changed up some of my powders a couple of shortages ago.  I use win 231 and Imr 4227 and can load all my pistol calibers.  For 223 I went with ramshots xterminator, during this shortage I can still find these powders in stock.  I will not buy unique anymore to hard to find.  I suggest looking at what is available now and start looking into switching to those powders.  If its available now chances are they have a greater production capacity or not a lot of people use that powder.  Ramshot powders that I have used work great I think most people have no data in their older manuals so they skip over it, anyway I maintain large enough inventory to last 2-3 years now.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I changed up some of my powders a couple of shortages ago.  I use win 231 and Imr 4227 and can load all my pistol calibers.  For 223 I went with ramshots xterminator, during this shortage I can still find these powders in stock.  I will not buy unique anymore to hard to find.  I suggest looking at what is available now and start looking into switching to those powders.  If its available now chances are they have a greater production capacity or not a lot of people use that powder.  Ramshot powders that I have used work great I think most people have no data in their older manuals so they skip over it, anyway I maintain large enough inventory to last 2-3 years now.

Snowman357
View Quote

Good call.

Unless you are a master match level shooter all most of us just need a powder in the correct burn rate to function with reasonable speed, safety and accuracy.  

if you drive on without waiting for THE powder you can do a lot of good shooting and have a broader expetience..  You also get a list of tested backups.

The ones I might try to stick with THE powders are for my hunting loads that I try to stick with a temp stable type like Hodgdon’s Extreme line up.  Just takes one factor out come late hunting season, then again most powders are good enough anyhow,  Its not like a deer at 200 yards needs half moa accuracy or will escape unscathed if the bullet strike is 1 7/8th inches lower.   I bring bipods or cross sticks and can take rather long poke but I can often also stalk closer to make it a 200 and under shot.  Usually have the cover.  

I am slowly working through my older loads for deer guns and weening them off less temp stable ball powders wher I can.  Not always though, the 6.8 and 2200 go together like peas and carrots and that set up isn’t a long range bean field rifle anyhow,    Load to the need and rifle capability not discounting the highly intelligent handsome talented shooter toting it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone actually use power pro varmint or 2000-mr?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Varmint and have had really good luck with it pushing 52gr SMK through my 1:8.

Its a ball powder so it meters great.  It seems to be a very underappreciated powder.  I got onto during the 2013 shortage and have stuck with it.

I used to use 8208 XBR behind my heavier bullets, but am currently trying H335.  This load is still a work in progress, but many have recommended it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've used 2000MR in my 223AI.  I hear that it is temp sensitive but it shoots pretty well in my rifle with the 75 Amax.

Left group is 5 shots, right group is 3 shots

Attachment Attached File

I'm kinda pissed that 8208 has gone the way of Varget and H4350 but I guess that's what I get for singing its merits

I've read some good things about Shooter World Precision but I haven't tried it.  Maybe I should...
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought I found my go to powders years ago. I always keep 2+ years of supplies around so Im usually never short. At the beginning of the last shortage I was buying 1 pounders of alternate powders and doing workups. I found a few new go to powders and have a lot of good data.

I remember getting SW pistol powder for $16 at the gun show no less and thinking must be crap. I was quite surprised how good it was and I liked the price point. Its not my go to powder but I would not pass it up if I was short.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does it meter as well?
View Quote

No. IMR-8208-XBR has a smaller grain structure than H4895.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

2000MR Yes.  You can push 77gr .223 in it pretty hard and a 45gr load under a 168gr SMK with make just about any .308 a shooter
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The question was about H4895.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]
IMR3031 is actually a fantastic and underappreciated .223 powder.  Only problem is the grains are very long, so it doesn't meter so good in a progressive.  It works, just a bit of a crunch&munch experience.

As stated, 4895 is great, but similar problem of large grain size.  4064 is actually not bad either, but it's one of the worst progressive feeding powders you can run in .223.  IMR4166 is a pretty decent .223 powder, though again the grains are about the size of 4895.

For good progressive .223 powder, you're looking at either ball powders, or finer extruded powders the likes of 8208 and LT32.  LT32 is the finest extruded powder I've ever seen, about the size of some ball powders even.  It also has both the Copper control and T-insensativy properties, and is a match powder - I love it.  It also happens to be on the fast end, and really shines with 55 gr and lighter, and also is about one of the most expensive powders out there as well.  So it's never really taken off.  But in todays world where everything is overpriced and unobtainable, the price differential isn't that notable anymore; and you can run great 55 gr ammo with it, and should be able to run solid 62 gr ammo with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
General question...

For what reason (there must be a good one) are many extruded powders so damn big? It seems like they could just turn up the cutter speed and make them so much shorter.

Tune the recipe a bit to to compensate for the more dense load. I suppose the greater surface area would result in a faster burn.

ETA: anyone want to send me a beater rifle they don't mind seen blown up? I'll rig it up in sandbags with a string from behind a tree and grind some extruded powder until it flows great. Try to work up a load. I'll pay shipping. I just wonder how much difference there would be in, say, H4895 knocked down to half size. I know they make a short cut version, but IIRC it uses the same charge. So using the above logic of more surface = faster burn, they'd have tuned the recipe some.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
General question...

For what reason (there must be a good one) are many extruded powders so damn big? It seems like they could just turn up the cutter speed and make them so much shorter.

Tune the recipe a bit to to compensate for the more dense load. I suppose the greater surface area would result in a faster burn.

ETA: anyone want to send me a beater rifle they don't mind seen blown up? I'll rig it up in sandbags with a string from behind a tree and grind some extruded powder until it flows great. Try to work up a load. I'll pay shipping. I just wonder how much difference there would be in, say, H4895 knocked down to half size. I know they make a short cut version, but IIRC it uses the same charge. So using the above logic of more surface = faster burn, they'd have tuned the recipe some.
View Quote

...or just try a Lee Perfect PM. Does very good with extruded powders and you won't need to get behind a tree with a string to pull the trigger.

I did a some tuning to the Lee to get a very repeatable +/- 0.1gr with IMR4895. My tuned Redding PM wasn't even close to this having this level of repeatability.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
General question...

View Quote

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read here.

Be careful with that one.  You'll put your eye out.

The granules are coated in 'deterrent', a graphite-based coating that slows the burn rate.  Break enough granules and expose all that nitroglycerine without adding deterrent and,... well,... it won't be a propellant anymore.  It'll be a bomb.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was looking at the reloading data today for SW AR Plus, Tactical Rifle, and Precision for 223 55 gr loads.

So I sized 50 223 cases and got them dry tumbling to remove the lube. I will load one of those powders tomorrow.

So far I have only fired Clean Shot in 9mm, worked fine.
View Quote

Looking forward to your results. I'm eyeing a 5lb jug of Clean Shot and a 8 lb jug of Tactical Rifle for my SBR to replace 8208
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read here.

Be careful with that one.  You'll put your eye out.

The granules are coated in 'deterrent', a graphite-based coating that slows the burn rate.  Break enough granules and expose all that nitroglycerine without adding deterrent and,... well,... it won't be a propellant anymore.  It'll be a bomb.
View Quote

Is that not the whole point of single base powders, being entirely nitrocellulose, and not containing nitroglycerin which results in the temperature sensitivity of double base powder?

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't do it with a gun I wasn't ok with blowing up, and from behind a tree.

I like a little danger, and who doesn't like to blow stuff up? Would I load a ground up powder and put my face behind it? Fuck no. Would it be a cool experiment, hell yeah!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

...or just try a Lee Perfect PM. Does very good with extruded powders and you won't need to get behind a tree with a string to pull the trigger.

I did a some tuning to the Lee to get a very repeatable +/- 0.1gr with IMR4895. My tuned Redding PM wasn't even close to this having this level of repeatability.
View Quote

That doesn't sound like any fun at all

I should upgrade and ditch my RCBS measure.

I'm not sure +/- .1gr really works that well for accuracy loads. Maybe in -06 or bigger cases. What SD/ES are you getting with .1gr in .223?

The rcbs seems to get me a little more than .1, probably .15 when using H4895. It can throw .15 over ten charges (263gr) or 6 charges (42/252gr) of TAC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is that not the whole point of single base powders, being entirely nitrocellulose, and not containing nitroglycerin which results in the temperature sensitivity of double base powder?

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't do it with a gun I wasn't ok with blowing up, and from behind a tree.

I like a little danger, and who doesn't like to blow stuff up? Would I load a ground up powder and put my face behind it? Fuck no. Would it be a cool experiment, hell yeah!
View Quote

That's good, you had me worried there for a while.  

I was laughing so hard I couldn't think of 'nitrocellulose', not that the chemistry would matter in this scenario.

Perhaps the moderator needs to add a serious message on reloading safety to this thread.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's good, you had me worried there for a while.  

I was laughing so hard I couldn't think of 'nitrocellulose', not that the chemistry would matter in this scenario.

Perhaps the moderator needs to add a serious message on reloading safety to this thread.
View Quote

I mean he did mention using a string and firing the rifle from a distance. I mean, if you want to do destructive testing, that's the safe way (assuming hiding behind cover as well) to do it right?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Everything in this forum is "follow all reloading safety rules", "...at your own risk", "do not use another's load data, work up your own", "don't be a dumbass".

It's a given.

Maybe tomorrow if I get bored I'll see what happens if I crush up some H4895. I'd love to see a huge spike in burn rate when flashed in a pan.

Without some real equipment and knowledge you'd never be able to consistently alter the powder to begin with, so it wouldn't work in the long run. You have to have an absolutely homogeneous kernel size to maintain load density, or you'll go from nice safe loads at the top to kaboom at the bottom of the can.

I suspect someone setup to make blackpowder at home could pull it off, but I do believe smokeless is "wetted" with some chemical that itself is hazardous, and not water.

ETA: this reminds me I need to make some more hillbilly hollowpoints and test them against the unmolested bullets. I'm still shocked they hit the target, let alone made a respectable group and expanded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#30]
The shooters world powders have a nice seal under the cap.

Not a single pound of Hodgdon I have purchased has had a seal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top