Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 7:55:04 PM EDT
Do they play well together? What about gas mask and bump helmets, is there a preferred mask?

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:56:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:19:06 PM EDT
my helmet is too small to fit over my MSA straps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:42:39 PM EDT
I've used the AirBoss LBM + extended arm models (G66/G69) from wilcox.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:04:46 AM EDT
Well there was the one time I forgot I cant buckle the helmet chin strap when my mask is on and I leaned too far forward... At the time I was straddling rafters in an attic filled with CS contacting a subject buried in the insulation. My helmet fell through the ceiling and landed a floor below us so that wasn't ideal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:32:29 AM EDT
Play well?  No, not really.  They can work together but its certainly not ideal.  Wilcox makes an extended arm that gives extra clearance for a mask or whatever.

My only experience is with an M50 mask, it fits under an ACH or ops-core if there is room for it with your pad arrangement.

Ops-core sells a chin strap extender for use with masks.  Its just a 3" or 4" piece of chin strap webbing with a male buckle on one end and female buckle on the other.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:26:01 AM EDT
They do work together.

Like others have said, it is about the right combination of gear.

Lots of practice, patience and realizing that you are giving up a lot when you combine all that stuff together.

And if you want the full Monty, go to DARC.  You will get the setup figured out pretty darn quickly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:49:48 AM EDT
Not to mention the resulting face of CS....unless the mask stayed in place? Still....
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:09:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:12:12 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

The low profile shroud attachments will give you less standoff, hence one of the reasons why those models have the extended eye-relief arms.

The G22 with a conventional L4/Universal pattern shroud will give you even more standoff.

~Augee
View Quote

Dang, I didn't think of it that way! Augee knowledge drops
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:28:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:39:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By clubmanager1:
Not to mention the resulting face of CS....unless the mask stayed in place? Still....
View Quote

No issues with the mask on that one luckily.

I max out the forward adjustment on my L4G11 paired with skeletonized Wilcox 3 hole shroud to fit my pvs14 in front of my Avon mask.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:28:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2020 4:28:55 PM EDT by Apec]
Depends on the mask as well.

I have a MSA Millennium, and a PVS-14 mounted to a Wilcox G11 and Ops Core Maritime. I didn't specifically consider having to use NODS and a mask, but with the Millennium on, my PVS-14 won't fully come down even when I've maxed adjustments on the G11. Otherwise it has an awesome field of view, but it's not low-profile compared to other designs. Maybe a G22 might make it work, but I'd have to have one in hand before I could say so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2020 4:41:44 PM EDT by Pneumagger]
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglue
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scuba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
and a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

All in all, it should run you about $150 without the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV see through the CS smoke very well? seems like a thermal monocular or fusion might be the way to go to see through smoke screen.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:01:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pneumagge­r:
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglu­e
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue­ to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scu­ba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
an­d a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

A­ll in all, it should run you about $150 witho­ut the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV se­e through the CS smoke very well? seems like ­a thermal monocular or fusion might be the wa­y to go to see through smoke screen.
View Quote

CS is effective even when the smoke isn't cloudy, anyone who's been through a CS chamber can attest to that.  Also, not all CBRN threats create visible smoke clouds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:51:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
Dollar Tree scuba mask
superglue
two spare PVS14 eyecups (to cut and glue to the mask)
a swimming noseplug
a scuba breathing mouthpiece duct-taped to a CBRN (or appropriate) filter
and a $125 Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt

All in all, it should run you about $150 without the filter.

Seriously though, would the NV see through the CS smoke very well? seems like a thermal monocular or fusion might be the way to go to see through smoke screen.
View Quote

Top Top