Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 3:39:52 PM EDT
I've considered buying a Freechex punch a few times.  I'm curious if it's something most just buy or is stamping them out more popular?  It's been a while since I looked at it but I think they advertised being able to use soda/beer cans for the strips.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends how many you will use, eh? I buy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There's no pricing on their web site.  What do they cost?    I found it in the tiny print - $115 for the tools.

What's the lead time?

Why not invest the money in a powder coater?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy. I still find gas checked bullets to be the most accurate but I only use them for 308, 45-70, and 500 s&w loads normally.

I suppose they're not a bad investment after about 4-5000 checks, but gas checks are pretty cheap and optional if you were really hard up for materials. Most anything that gets loaded in volume I look for a plain base bullet to save time in sizing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no pricing on their web site.  What do they cost?    I found it in the tiny print - $115 for the tools.

What's the lead time?

Why not invest the money in a powder coater?
View Quote
I used HF powder coat and a tumbler to powder coat.  Wait....if I powder coat do I not need gas checks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I check for accuracy and leading with/without GC’s for those bullets designed for GC’s. Sometimes I see improved accuracy so I go with it....
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I quit gas checks after testing powder coated to magnum velocities

I even had my LEE 310gr 44 mold milled to remove the GC

It's a 270gr now
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used HF powder coat and a tumbler to powder coat.  Wait....if I powder coat do I not need gas checks?
Thanks
View Quote
I think Derek45 answered this one for you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Answer is maybe on PC'g a bullet that has a gas check tail, and not using a gas check.

Hence PC coating will allow you to push a hard cast bullet (at least lyman #2) over 2KFPS without leading problems, but some GC cast bullet design bullets will not shoot well with out the gas check in place isntead.

Take the 55gr lee 224 bullets, and although PC coating will prevent them from leading, they shoot like shotgun patterns if the gas check is not installed when PC coated.

So myself, will just mod a GC mold to remove the tail small gas check section, so the cast bullet becomes a non gas check bullet type isntead.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply and the pics.  I'm confused how you go about shaving the mold down so it no longer has a gas check portion in the cavity?  Do you take the sprue plate off and use a metal file/grinder on the entire block of aluminum or do you do something different?

My concern would be getting everything perfectly level and even.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply and the pics.  I'm confused how you go about shaving the mold down so it no longer has a gas check portion in the cavity?  Do you take the sprue plate off and use a metal file/grinder on the entire block of aluminum or do you do something different?

Thanks!
View Quote
I've been looking at this, since I'm getting into casting and one bullet I plan to make plenty of is a .308 I'll use in 300 Blackout.  The mold I have is specifically a gas check model, and I've gotten multiple different kinds of advice on whether or not to use checks.

My plan is first to cast and powder coat a bunch of these bullets and see how they shoot.  If they give me the accuracy I'm looking for without checks, that's fine.  If not, then I'll put checks on them and test again.

Getting checks on flat is apparently not a big challenge, as long as your bullets' bases are square.  Then it's a matter of making sure you apply the check straight and then run the bullet into the sizing die straight.  My biggest challenge for this looks like it'll be not squishing my fingers in the process.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been looking at this, since I'm getting into casting and one bullet I plan to make plenty of is a .308 I'll use in 300 Blackout.  The mold I have is specifically a gas check model, and I've gotten multiple different kinds of advice on whether or not to use checks.

My plan is first to cast and powder coat a bunch of these bullets and see how they shoot.  If they give me the accuracy I'm looking for without checks, that's fine.  If not, then I'll put checks on them and test again.

Getting checks on flat is apparently not a big challenge, as long as your bullets' bases are square.  Then it's a matter of making sure you apply the check straight and then run the bullet into the sizing die straight.  My biggest challenge for this looks like it'll be not squishing my fingers in the process.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Use the gas check spacer provided with the sizer and fingers will be saved.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Use the gas check spacer provided with the sizer and fingers will be saved.
View Quote
I don't have a lube/sizer machine, just push-through Lee dies.  My fingers are still in peril!    But I'm a fast learner when pain is involved, so I'm confident I won't lose more than part of a digit.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't have a lube/sizer machine, just push-through Lee dies.  My fingers are still in peril!    But I'm a fast learner when pain is involved, so I'm confident I won't lose more than part of a digit.  
View Quote
Mount a single stage upside down and then you can drop them in and they will center themselves. Major safety and time saver!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure if this statement was aimed at my question but if so, I was asking how the MOLD is shaved/milled, not the bullet bases themselves.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's all I have and while I've only done pistol bullets so far, I'm not understanding the fingers comment.  I put a bullet on the ram, feed it into the hole and repeat.  When down to the last few I'll use a dowel or something similar to push the rest out of the die.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I had mine milled off, very similar to dano

Attachment Attached File

before

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#17]
What/how was it milled??  Seems this is a somewhat common practice but no one is talking about the practice itself, just the result.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top