Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 4:10:14 PM EDT
Is there anyway to get rid of this without buying a $50+ tool?

Is bur even the right word in this case?

I have a big burr in my 1996 stainless steel barrel. So I think we are long past "shooting it out"
When I bore scoped it there was tons of copper shredded past the bur and I think it is keeping me from proper cleaning in it's shadow.

Opposite my gas port hole is a crater that looks like
there was no depth stop on the drill that made my gas port.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks to me not a burr, but a chip removed when someone drilled through the barrel surface with a heavy hand.  Nothing you can do about it, especially if you have already shot to remove it.

As rough as that looks, I imagine it will have no impact on accuracy that far down the barrel and so far from the muzzle.  You are using a high magnification bore scope.

Apples and oranges, but likely the best shooting .22 rifle I have, measured against two H&R model 12s and a 52B and 52 C and other quality rifles, has a ring 10" down the bore you can see from the outside.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is another view of it. ignore the dust / patch lint

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks like port erosion to me, although why it is biased to one side is anyone's guess.  Does this cause any discernable problems in function?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks to me not a burr, but a chip removed when someone drilled through the barrel surface with a heavy hand.  Nothing you can do about it, especially if you have already shot to remove it.

As rough as that looks, I imagine it will have no impact on accuracy that far down the barrel and so far from the muzzle.  You are using a high magnification bore scope.

Apples and oranges, but likely the best shooting .22 rifle I have, measured against two H&R model 12s and a 52B and 52 C and other quality rifles, has a ring 10" down the bore you can see from the outside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is a protrusion, I posted another image down the bore view you can tell better.

Quoted:
That looks like port erosion to me, although why it is biased to one side is anyone's guess.  Does this cause any discernable problems in function?

The function seems fine, but it leaves a lot of copper past the protrusion.

It is a mini-30 but I am trying to make it shoot as well as I can before I put it all back together.
Besides this spot the barrel is in good shape. I have only took it to the range once and the pinned flash suppressor became loose while I was there.
I went home because something was wrong and I didn't know what it was at the time.

I have a smaller gas port bushing I am installing.
I have a  lighter trigger spring for the 2nd stage of the trigger.
I have a true shot stabilizer to install.
I am cleaning re-oiling / greasing every part that needs it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not sure what to say about that.  I think it's a good thing most of us don't own borescopes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought I got a hell of a deal on an old Winchester single shot .22 years ago.  Darn thing shot lights out on anything, not matter how small the target was.  I shot the crap out of it the day I got it.  Then I made the mistake of cleaning it and it would no longer hold a group.  A pattern?  Yeah.  A group?  Nope.  Got to looking closer with a small light and sure enough, part way down the barrel was a ring I'd never noticed in the gun store prior to buying it or prior to running 3 or 4 boxes of long rifle ammo through it when I got home.

OP, I hate that yours is so hard to fix.  I've had burrs hanging down in a couple new barrels.  A little "rubbing" with the end of a brass cleaning rod from each end of the barrel managed to eventually break them off.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I am assuming a hand held de-burring tool would be way too large to fit in the gas port hole.

The only thing I see that might work (might) is cogsdill micro burraway.
They cost in the $70-$100, which I have a issue justifying the cost of it for a 1 off job that may not work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Well this might be dumb and I am not committed to this potential disaster yet :D
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the end of a segmented cleaning rod and will glue  a small rotary tool piece in it.

If I can get it clamped up steady and parallel on my bench with a slow drill. I might try it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well this might be dumb and I am not committed to this potential disaster yet :D
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the end of a segmented cleaning rod and will glue  a small rotary tool piece in it.
https://i.imgur.com/Cmcnyx8.jpg?3

If I can get it clamped up steady and parallel on my bench with a slow drill. I might try it.

View Quote

I think that tool is going "cut" metal in places that don't need cutting...and nothing good can come from that.

How does your gun shoot? If it aint broke don't fix it. (I agree with the earlier comment about not using a borescope, sometimes we don't need to know)
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
A careful selection of picks with fish hook shape could work it from the port opening. More likely though, a piece of wire carefully guided into the area and sighted through the opening as it's inserted from the bore with light being shined from the chamber would also get to it.

You could also try some of the barrel polishing kits out there and give it extra attention in the port area.

I would highly recommend you avoid using the item you posted a few posts up. That will do way more damage than good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A careful selection of picks with fish hook shape could work it from the port opening. More likely though, a piece of wire carefully guided into the area and sighted through the opening as it's inserted from the bore with light being shined from the chamber would also get to it.

You could also try some of the barrel polishing kits out there and give it extra attention in the port area.

I would highly recommend you avoid using the item you posted a few posts up. That will do way more damage than good.
View Quote

A carefully bent wire from the gas port surprisingly (to me) worked. I will take a new pic after I clean the gunk out.
I watched the wire from the bore scope view and it kind of put the size into scale too :D
Not as big as I thought.

Also I think the big blob was powder and copper fouling trapped behind the bur.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone.

Following the above advice, I used some copper wire scrap from electrical work that fit in the gas port.
I am not sure what gauge it was most likely 12, but it had just a little wiggle room in the gas port.
With a slight bend it was enough to remove most of it and I can clean well behind it now.

Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad you got it cleaned out of there, but that drill job really looks like it was done in a hurry, I can see the dimple on the other side, which should not hurt anything, but it is odd.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glad you got it cleaned out of there, but that drill job really looks like it was done in a hurry, I can see the dimple on the other side, which should not hurt anything, but it is odd.
View Quote

Yeah Ruger wasn't exactly making rifles with love and care in the 90s :D

I have and use the stop on both of my drill presses, you would think they would have a dedicated drill of some kind and it could be set up to not over drill.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah Ruger wasn't exactly making rifles with love and care in the 90s :D
View Quote

Yeah, they were too busy pushing for the AWB since they didn't make AR's or magazines >10 round capacity.

Funny how quickly we all forget.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brownells had a batch of retro barrels that they sold as blems due to this issue. I don't think it's because of someone being in a hurry, rather someone failing to properly measure drill bits/setup equipment before hitting that big "GO" button.

OP, glad you had success with the copper wire. You may be able to find a wire that has some higher level of rigidity to it would work the edge down further if you decided to work on it further.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a chip or erosion.
Possibly  combination of both.

A small chip that has gradually eroded under use.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Brownells had a batch of retro barrels that they sold as blems due to this issue. I don't think it's because of someone being in a hurry, rather someone failing to properly measure drill bits/setup equipment before hitting that big "GO" button.

OP, glad you had success with the copper wire. You may be able to find a wire that has some higher level of rigidity to it would work the edge down further if you decided to work on it further.
View Quote

I have a couple of those Brownells barrels they shoot fine.

The dimple opposite the gas hole in this barrel discussed in this thread, looks off center to the gas port, like something twisted in the jig or it was hand drilled.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I would try Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing Ammunition.

Bore lapping ammo

I would not ever try sticking a small rotary grind stone down the bore, as it can easily tear up the rifling in that area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top