Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2022 10:21:16 AM EDT
I saw this on JR Machine Products’ site.

https://jrmachinepro.com/750-titanium-threaded-gas-block/

Seems pretty cool and a way to save weight for an OTB can.

The only potential issue I can see arising is the back end of the can heating up quicker because it’s a part of the gas block. But cans get hot anyway so maybe a non-issue.

Any drawbacks to this that anyone can see?

Thinking about a 12.5 OTB build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
That's how they should be built.  Only two or three outfits make them like that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
How are you going to fit inches of barrel after the gas block inside the suppressor? Seems you would need a mega long blast chamber and longer can offsetting weight savings.

Other concern would be concentrically.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
How are you going to fit inches of barrel after the gas block inside the suppressor? Seems you would need a mega long blast chamber and longer can offsetting weight savings.

Other concern would be concentrically.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-83dviv04v0/images/stencil/1200x1800/products/164/517/gasblock1__06627.1658861185.jpg?c=1
View Quote

Yes it will have to have large blast chamber like other over the barrel set ups. I was thinking about a 9 or 10 inch long can. Using titanium for the last few baffles should help with weight.

I suppose I’ll have to check alignment when it’s put together, but that has to be done anyway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Concentricity] [#5]
I had read that a suppressor tube backset down the barrel doesn’t suppress as well as a tube that is more completely forward of the muzzle. However I don’t have a source to cite.
If I remember correctly the blast gasses are disinterested in moving backwards so it could therefore be reasoned that the muzzle should end as quickly as possible after the tube mount. The same tube mounted completely forward of the muzzle tested at a lower db rating than the same tube installed backset with the muzzle 1/3 into the tube length.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
I had read that a suppressor tube backset down the barrel doesn’t suppress as well as a tube that is more completely forward of the muzzle. However I don’t have a source to cite.
If I remember correctly the blast gasses are disinterested in moving backwards so it could therefore be reasoned that the muzzle should end as quickly as possible after the tube mount. The same tube mounted completely forward of the muzzle tested at a lower db rating than the same tube installed backset with the muzzle 1/3 into the tube length.

View Quote

That's correct for the same length of can, but with a reflex style like this you can get more can length for the same overall length.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Could anyone tell me if an aggressive muzzle brake in the blast chamber of a reflex can would help with suppression?

You would think it would help more than a bare muzzle. Especially if the brake had two or three baffles and had a rearward-facing blast pattern.

Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t know but they do say to work the gas pulse hard as quick as you can straight off the muzzle.

A brake should hypothetically strip and delay some pressure off of the gas pulse before it even expands into the blast chamber baffle.

I actually don’t even know what a reflex can is. I guess that you could say that I don’t know the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground. But we’re all here to learn right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: withoutremorse42] [#9]

I actually don’t even know what a reflex can is. I guess that you could say that I don’t know the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground. But we’re all here to learn right?
View Quote

Reflex style can has a bunch of baffles tightly spaced near the business end, with a large empty volume behind it.  As opposed to evenly spaced baffles that take up most of the suppressor

@Concentricity
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SubSonic1836:
Could anyone tell me if an aggressive muzzle brake in the blast chamber of a reflex can would help with suppression?
View Quote

Helps a little with suppression, but helps more with longevity of the blast baffle.  Does help reduced the amount of gas that's heading straight "down the pipe" by redirecting the gas and making it more turbulent
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If I remember correctly the blast gasses are disinterested in moving backwards
View Quote

True, they do like to follow the path of inertia.  Good design (clipped baffles, muzzle brake, dater holes etc) force the gas rearwards to fill the large chamber
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:

Reflex style can has a bunch of baffles tightly spaced near the business end, with a large empty volume behind it.  As opposed to evenly spaced baffles that take up most of the suppressor

@Concentricity
View Quote
Well darn. I thought the difference was a reflex extends back behind the muzzle to add expansion volume without overall length.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]

@Concentricity
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I actually don't even know what a reflex can is. I guess that you could say that I don't know the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground. But we're all here to learn right?

@Concentricity
No.  Some of them have a bunch of tightly spaced baffles at the distal end, not all of them do.  What all reflex suppressors have in common is that they mount over the barrel rather than at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, I sure wish this gas block would have been available in 2008 when I made my first Form 1 suppressor.  It sure would have simplified the construction and saved weight.  I made a copy of this Navy patent from the Viet Nam era: https://patents.google.com/patent/US3776093A/en  It's a simple one baffle suppressor disposable suppressor.  I found out many years later that the reason it was disposable was that it was supposed to be made out of aluminum, not steel.  Dispite its simplicity, it does suppress quite well, but is gassy.  Suppression from a 20" bbl was comparable to an AAC 762SD also fired on a 20" bbl.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/low-profile-gas-block-750-threaded
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jreinke:

View All Quotes

Dang, it’d be really cool if it were HUB/ 1.375 threaded
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By born2lose76:

Dang, it’d be really cool if it were HUB/ 1.375 threaded
View Quote

Maybe better? An "adapter" could be made to turn a silencer with those threads into both a standard and reflex modular application.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Dang, it'd be really cool if it were HUB/ 1.375 threaded
View All Quotes

Dang, it'd be really cool if it were HUB/ 1.375 threaded
The Satern isn't what I'd call quality.  The JR Machine one is hub threaded and looks better although I don't have hands on experience with it yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By November5:
The Satern isn't what I'd call quality.  
View Quote

True that, I know someone that bought one of the Satern blocks. It wasn’t even threaded to the spec they advertised on their site.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By VinnieBoomBahReborn:

True that, I know someone that bought one of the Satern blocks. It wasn't even threaded to the spec they advertised on their site.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VinnieBoomBahReborn:
Originally Posted By November5:
The Satern isn't what I'd call quality.  

True that, I know someone that bought one of the Satern blocks. It wasn't even threaded to the spec they advertised on their site.
That would be me.  They've changed the spec listed on their site.  They used to advertise it as 1x20, which would've been perfect because Griffin mounts.  Instead it's 1-1/16x20.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#23]
FRP?

How ya gonna get a bayonet on there?  
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How ya gonna get a bayonet on there?  
View Quote
Weld on a FH stub to the front and a bayo lug to the bottom. Boom.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve decided my next one is going to be a shorty for my 10.3’s. I had it mostly figured out until I read this.

I really like the looks of these. I wonder if an inch or two of barrel to reflex over would benefit a turbo k type can. It wouldn’t really add much weight.

Or maybe I’m just trying too hard to come up with a reason to put this on a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The older Barrett M468 6.8 rifles had a nice gas block/suppressor mount . The muzzle brake also acted as a forward boss to keep the bore alignment straight.

Worked really well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top