Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 1:26:19 PM EDT
Who has refaced the crown on their Garand and what tool did you use?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not re-crowned a Garand barrel.  But Pacific Tool & Gauge sells tools to re crown a Garand barrel.  There are actually two kinds of Garand crowns.  I cannot remember the details but there were two specific types of barrel crowns that were used.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The tool pages below from Pacific Tool and Gauge makes mention of different Garand barrel crowns.

I was looking for pictures showing both but no luck yet.

tool and crown discussion '40-'67

'67 and on crown tool

I cut and pasted the relevant portion here from the first link above on Pacific Tool and Gauge;

"There has been some confusion over "pre-1964" and "1964" Crown Tools for the M1 Garand. Part of the confusion stems from the fact that M1 Garand production ceased in 1957. Another confusing factor is that the "1964" Crown Tool generates a three-faceted crown which matches the original M1 Garand, whereas the "pre-1964" Crown Tool generates a radius crown rarely seen on original rifles. The reason for these confusing designations is the manufacture of after-market replacement barrels for the M1 Garand. Until 1964, replacement barrels were manufactured with a "V-shaped" radius crown, based on a military specification. After 1964, automated machinery was able to economically replicate the original three-faceted crown.

The radius (pre-1964) crown may have slight advantages in accuracy, ease of cleaning, and ruggedness."

edit: I modified the name of the first link to reflect the 1940 - 1967 time frame and added the second link showing the 1967 and on crown tool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve seen the PTG crown tools on MidwayUSA,  I’m looking for those who  have undertaken this rather than farming it out to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done several, get the PTG 1964 pattern cutter, the pre 1964 looks nothing like a original crown
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I used lapping compound and a carriage bolt clamped into a drill.

Cleaned up a pretty good nick right in the bore opening and it fixed the accuracy issue it caused.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top