Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2020 2:59:45 PM EDT
This is to help with identification of WWII Garand sights
The Type I Lock Bars are somewhat rare and  the hardest of all sights to find, much harder than the earlier SA flush nuts. They were only used for a 5-6 month span. Last Type I sight I saw sold for $950 . These are not to be confused with the later type II and type III lock bar sights. Those sell in the $130 or less range

Type I locking bar on the right, Type III on the left (type II has same size hole, just the ends of bar are rounded)
The type I has a smaller pinion thread hole

Type I on right
The type I has a short pinion with 6-40 threads , type I & II has long pinion with 8-36 threads. As you can see the type I bar is only screwed on by a few threads.

The earlier flush nut sight uses the same short pinion but a spanner or flush nut to secure it

You couldn't disassemble the flush nut sight without a tool. The end of the combo tool (with two pins) was used for this
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a Type 1 on my British Lend-lease #541,xxx
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice...Any pics of the rifle?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
@M1G any idea of what’s on mine?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like type III but kinda hard to tell from the pic. You would need to disassemble the sight to know for sure and compare pinion
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
None of the CMP M1's I've bought (four SA from 42 through 44) had lock bar sights on them.

But the M1A I bought new in 1978 had a set of lock bar sights on it.

Funny how stuff like that happens.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
My Springfield M1A also has one on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like type III but kinda hard to tell from the pic. You would need to disassemble the sight to know for sure and compare pinion
View Quote

Neat thanks. This rifle is a funny assortment of parts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately no...and it's in a different location
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rgrprib:
My Springfield M1A also has one on it.
View Quote

It was not unusual years ago for SAI M1A's to have type II or III lock bar sights
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Be careful if buying lock bar sights as there is accompany reproducing them. They might be OK but don't pay USGI prices for commercial parts
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By M1G:
Be careful if buying lock bar sights as there is accompany reproducing them. They might be OK but don't pay USGI prices for commercial parts
View Quote

Luckily the repro parts are quite easy to spot at least as far as the windage and elevation knobs go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Except for the new collector who don't know any better. There is even a company that sells "weathered" lock bars
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the first 650 Winchester’s made. They did not have lock bars that early, I do know that. But damned if I can not figure out how to find the correct set of flush unless that last pic you have is the ones that are that early.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MeAndMyAR:
I have one of the first 650 Winchester’s made. They did not have lock bars that early, I do know that. But damned if I can not figure out how to find the correct set of flush unless that last pic you have is the ones that are that early.
View Quote

A set of original WRA flush nut sights for your rifle are going to cost more than the rifle did.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MeAndMyAR:
I have one of the first 650 Winchester’s made. They did not have lock bars that early, I do know that. But damned if I can not figure out how to find the correct set of flush unless that last pic you have is the ones that are that early.
View Quote

Last pic is SA flush nut sight, WRA Flush Nut will run you in the $1000 range
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Speak of the devil

WRA flush nut sight for sale.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
What hurts value on that one is its been refinished. Still you don't see them very often
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#18]
It sold quick too. Looks like at that price that will be one part this rifle will be missing.

Originally Posted By svt40:
Speak of the devil

WRA flush nut sight for sale.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
My Winnie falls in the first 65k that were built and also should have a flush nut rear sight.  I ended up putting a type II WRA sight on it with knurled knobs.

My 1942 SA should also be a flush nut and I got lucky finding a short pinion in a jar of rusty M1 sights at a flea market. Added an original checkered SA elevation cap  and a type I lockbar and called it good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Just had a Type I lockbar and flush nut sell real quick on the CMP forums.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=263624
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
The seller could have got more out of the flush nut...………….
Neither one come up for sale very often, and when they do they sell fast
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top