Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2017 9:37:59 PM EDT
I bought an inexpensive Gamo Varmint .177 break action as a first air rifle with intentions of thinning the red squirrel herd eating all our pecans, eating the deck, and drowning in the pool.

So I started with some common Crossman Destroyer 7.9 grain pellets. Those were all over the place, and cracked a report like a .22. So I picked up some Gamo Whisper 10.5 grain to reduce report, and for that they work well.

Problem is grouping. The Gamo pellets talk about 7/8" group at 20 meters.  Well I can barely get a basketball sized group offhand. Baseball sized with support.

At first I was holding the rifle too tight and learned about the artillery hold. After that the groups were better, but no WAY I would shoot at a squirrel without at least a quarter size group.

I've watched videos and read various threads and blogs.  What am I doing wrong??

Gamo Varmit with 4x32 scope
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer - hoping someone will chime in - but did you post an earlier thread about wanting an airgun to shoot squirrels, where the Gamo silent cat whisper was recommended by several posters?

If so, I'm wondering why you decided to buy this model rather than the silent cat (which I've been considering for dispatching squirrels with extreme prejudice)...

I think that this one is a bit less expensive than the silent cat and is rated for the same max velocity, but maybe not as quiet...
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know the answer - hoping someone will chime in - but did you post an earlier thread about wanting an airgun to shoot squirrels, where the Gamo silent cat whisper was recommended by several posters?

If so, I'm wondering why you decided to buy this model rather than the silent cat (which I've been considering for dispatching squirrels with extreme prejudice)...

I think that this one is a bit less expensive than the silent cat and is rated for the same max velocity, but maybe not as quiet...
View Quote
Yes, that's my thread. I wanted a $100 rifle and the first suggestions on this site almost always ask you to double your budget :)

The Cat has the same velocity and same scope, with a tacticool stock and built-in can (or whatever the whisper technology is).  I thought I was getting a very simiar base rifle for half the price.  I paid $75
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot the heck out of it. From what I've read you need to put a couple hundred rounds through it before accuracy comes in. Worked on my crosman. It went from basket ball to golf ball, quickly once it broke in. If the trigger sucks, maybe the ball bearing hack for crosman will work. Check all screws for snug fit....
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I'll keep shooting until it breaks in or return it to Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Better pellets.  RWS R10 Match, 8.2gr; H&N Sport Finale Match Rifle, 8.18gr; H&N Sport Field Target, 8.49gr; and JSB Match Exact Diabolo, 8.44 gr should all group better than the Gamo or Crosman pellets.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You mentioned artillery hold, so you've done your research.

They can be fickle tools.

You need to be very consistent.

You also have to be careful with the sound barrier. These rifles are at risk of going supersonic, and inconsistently. Use a heavy pellet.

I kill pigeons with a cheaper variant than you have, it can be done.

I miss on occasion, though - probably because I accidentally put some new pressure on the stock somewhere.

But, meh, it's a .177 pellet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.airgundepot.com/392-rm.html
For  $130 you can eliminate "the artillery hold".
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
For a fairly cheap break barrel I keep hearing good things about the Beeman Silver Kodiak with 2 barrels. You get 2 calibers (.177 and .22) for a hundred bucks at Walmart. But as mentioned before you need to put about 2 tins of pellets I hear before tighter groups start happening. Also a higher end pellet like H&N, JSB or RWS are better for hunting accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So I'm over 100 rounds, and I can hit an iron railroad baseplate 4 out of 5 shots at 100 feet.

After another hundred or so rounds, I'll decide if this rifle has tightened up enough, or not.

Please recommend a heavy, accurate .177 pellet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The Crosman 10.5 domes shoot pretty good from my Diana 34, they might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
You have several variables to monitor here

First, these guns so tighten up as they wear in. It can be three or four hundred rounds. I normally like a full tin of 500 before I start watching close.

Second, you're getting better already. Me hold new gun etc.part of your improvement is learning to shoot this well. I think shooting Springer guns accurately offhand may be the hardest challenge in shooting.long terrible trigger pulls, long dwell times in barrel, shock and motion through the entire cycle. It's hard.

Third, these systems are not all that inherently accurate, the pellets aren't really uniform, they have terrible aero profiles, the guns are light etc.

Fourth, the guns are often super picky about pellets.get a sampler pack with lots of different brands.sometimes I see huge groups, then a new pellet attacks then in there in tiny little groups. So try a few types of pellet too

So keep working, groups will get tighter and tighter, don't give up right away on the gun. It already sounds pretty good from what you are seeing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Also don't forget to tighten all the screws, especially the screws that hold the action in the stock, the pivot screws for the barrel and finally any screws holding the scope. Airguns have a weird harsh recoil. Try the gun with iron sights if it has them sometimes the scopes that come with the guns are little more than paperweights.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 4 months later: our neighborhood has about 34 fewer squirrels, which doesn't include some my oldest son shot.  This cheap air gun and scope gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update 4 months later: our neighborhood has about 34 fewer squirrels, which doesn't include some my oldest son shot.  This cheap air gun and scope gets the job done.
View Quote
I love me some squirrels - don’t hate them like I hate pigeons. But, I can appreciate successful marksmanship.

Bravisimo!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad you stuck with it.

Gamo is a good rifle, with most being made in Spain....some even in England *gasp*

Magnum springers are very much a learned skill.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Artillary hold, light grip, is so foreign. When I miss, it’s often because I held a tight grip.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This. Artillary hold, light grip, is so foreign. When I miss, it’s often because I held a tight grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

glad it's working out for you. Springers are sooo sensitive to hold, variations in technique etc.  

you'll be surprised how much better of a normal rifle shooter you are because of your work with the springer.

The other thing is you may be able to fit a Charlie da Tuna gold trigger to that gun and make it a LOT easier to shoot.  I fit them to all my spring guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top