Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That FAl is sexy
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Selous Scouts~

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What would be the closest current DSA model that matches the DSA in the picture with the warden and dog?
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DOG556:
What would be the closest current DSA model that matches the DSA in the picture with the warden and dog?
View Quote

16in para or 18in para Congo

Then change out the handguards for NBC ones and swap the rear sight for the standard type.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

The rifle in the picture is not a DSA.  The only DSA part is the scope mount.

16.25" para with carry handle, whatever version they have, with a Type 2 receiver if they give you the option, would be closest.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Not Selous Scouts, but members of The Rhodesia Regiment. 4 Indep Coy comes to mind, but don't quote me on that bit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]

This FAL
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.dsarms.com/p-17198-dsa-sa58-fal-18-bush-warrior-rifle-traditional-profile-barrel-fixed-stock-rifle.aspx
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]

This FAL
View Quote

Not a DSA rifle.  FN SADF contract 50.61 with the barrel cut down to something in the realm of 16.5-16.75" and what may be a replacement receiver (also FN), as well as a DSA scope mount.  

Now, DSA did have a contract with the SAN Parks Rangers for FALs.  Those have the 16.25" barrels, green plastic furniture, an OD green finish (Kal-Gard GUnkote or something like that), DSA's version of the folding stock, scope mount (also shipped with the standard top cover), gas plug with lever, handguards with the bipod grooves, Type 2 receivers (and probably an alloy trigger housing), 2-position para rear sight, custom serial location, and a fixed charging handle.

DSA did sell a repro of it for the U.S. market at some point with a rhino engraved on the magazine well as well as a repro of their Kenyan contract rifles (fixed stock with 18" barrel, but otherwise pretty similar).  

Out of what they have listed, this is the closest you'll get.  To make it look a little closer, you can get one of the FN tangent rear sight bases for paras, a grenade sight gas plug, and the DSA scope mount.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-14231-dsa-sa58-16-traditional-profile-barrel-para-stock-rifle.aspx
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]

I could never get over the severe angle of that pistol grip. Is there an alternative that is offered by someone where the angle is more vertical?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigstick61] [#11]
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:

I could never get over the severe angle of that pistol grip. Is there an alternative that is offered by someone where the angle is more vertical?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:

The original wood grips were less rakish.  Originals and reproductions can be found on the market.

I believe FAB Defense makes a FAL grip, and it also has a better angle, as did Ergo Grip.

The Minimi pistol grip (both from FN and repros by Tapco) also has a better angle and the Minimi basically uses the same grip as the FAL (same attachment method and dimensions; the Minimi originally used the grip in the picture above).  This is my choice for my own rifle, pictured below.

The angle of the plastic grips was a change made to make launching rifle grenades less stressful on the wrist, as I understand it, compared to the original grip angle.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Cants stand the 16inch barrels in a 308. I would say 18inch is the shortest I’d go
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you get a 18 with a full length gas system? Or 16’inch
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Can you get a 18 with a full length gas system? Or 16’inch
View Quote

Both.

The one I posted above is a 17 with full-length gas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I like this

https://www.dsarms.com/p-14231-dsa-sa58-16-traditional-profile-barrel-para-stock-rifle.aspx

I find the fixed stock better for my cheek when shooting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a nice clone - the pic is the 1st one in the thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/FAL--DSA-FAL-16-inch-barrel/5-2313726/
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a nice clone - the pic is the 1st one in the thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/FAL--DSA-FAL-16-inch-barrel/5-2313726/
View Quote

I think that's Chase45's FAL.

@Chase45
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Great thread!  I commend you all on your knowledge of the platform.

I used to own two Belgium Para FALs but, alas, I traded them away as my interest wandered.  I more recently have picked up some DSA variants that I am very happy with, especially my DSA OSW 13" barreled gun.  Unfortunately I am on the road and no pix are available at this time.  I will try to remember to post some when this current cycle of traveling overland is done.

I have a little Aimpoint T1 Micro red dot on it and a small 3" rail mounted through the handguard for a mini Surefire Scout weaponlight.

I have found that I like the A.R.M.S. #3 top cover rail mount much better than the DSA bolt on version.  It is much lighter and slips right in the receiver like the OEM does.  

I have also used Rustolium Satin Black paint baked in the oven to simulate the factory finish on FAL mags and parts.  It is also a good match for H&K products.

Thanks for a great thread!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G0VT_MULE] [#20]
Regarding my post above, here are a couple of pictures.  These are not meant to be "Gamewarden Clone" pix, just my personal favorite FAL, a DSA OSW with 13 inch barrel.

As I mentioned in the above post, the rail top cover is an A.R.M.S. product.  It keeps the "riveted" look of the DSA top cover but is much lighter and uses the OEM type of attachment, sliding into the receiver from the rear.

Flash hider is a Gemtech BiLock for use with my Gemtech suppressor.

The grip is a knock-off SAW/Minimi grip made by TAPCO several years ago, since discontinued.

Front rail is a generic 3" rail which usually has a Surefire Mini Scout Light on it..

Sling is a Blue Force Gear adjustable Vicker's Combat Application sling with a Kryptek pattern.

I had a flip up ladder gas block sight on it for cutting off the gas flow while using the suppressor (very quiet) but it is a somewhat delicate piece and relatively costly for what it is so I removed it for now and just use the standard gas plug.

I love the FALs and just had to get in on the thread.

Thanks!
TheMULE

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That looks great. I am eternally on the fence if I want a FAL or not. I have an AR-10 and I nearly shoot that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!

The FAL is kind of an "era gun" in that it has come and gone for most of the general public.  The AR-10 is currently the hot item and a fine rifle with the commonality of the AR system.  

The FAL has the benefit of being "bone through the nose" simple to maintain and almost as many sources for cheap surplus and aftermarket parts as the AR systems.

I would encourage you to get an FAL, they point so well and are just so damn pretty!

Thanks again!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:22:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TOTHEMAX] [#23]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mattjedi:
There doesn’t seem to be any hard and fast rule for how these rifles are set up. For example, this one has a railed foregrip, folding charging handle and standard para rear sight.

https://africageographic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/13-neels-van-wyk-ravi-gajjar.jpg
View Quote

----------------------------------------------------

I have a DSA rifle length railed handguard similar to that over in the EE.
TheMULE
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I did a similar clone of the gun that the gentleman and his dog are pictures with. I used multicam and an aim point pro.

Ill post a picture in a bit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136887/20211113_102502-2165438.jpg
View Quote

---------------------------------

Nice job!
TheMULE
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Thanks. The cheek weld was a little off with the aim point so I had to put a piece of pool noodle around the tube under the cloth. It helped out and worked out well.
View Quote

------------------------------------

When I had a higher mounted scope on mine I used a piece of grey polystyrene pipe insulation to do the same thing.
TheMULE
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I did a similar clone of the gun that the gentleman and his dog are pictures with. I used multicam and an aim point pro.

View Quote

Now, if there's a rifle that looks like it'd be at home in the bush...

Really cool build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lew:

Not Selous Scouts, but members of The Rhodesia Regiment. 4 Indep Coy comes to mind, but don't quote me on that bit.
View All Quotes

Dog a Rhodesian Ridgeback?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogerRoger] [#32]
My Bruce Leslie clone, used to belong to a friend of mine that has gone west now.

Special attention was given to the rear sight and cut on the folding stock hinge plate.

All Belgian parts. Except for the receiver, lower, and gas plug grenade sight of course.

A very special rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By _DR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:

Nope. Some kind of herding/working dog, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I did up a clone a few years back.  Took a little recent liberty on the optic (originally had an Aimpoint).

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Most informative thread and interesting topic.  I noticed some informed discussion regarding the factory coating applied over Parkerizing on certain FAL’s.  I have forgotten way more then I remember on the topic so I will just copy and paste and old post of mine:

“The Brownell's baking lacquer leaves a very thick finish, and is quite like the original "stoving" found on FMAP, FN, BSA, IMBEL, Enfield, and Lithgow FAL type rifles. I like the stuff when doing up a FAL, would not use it on anything else though. It is difficult to work with, you have to thin it, leaves a thick finish, and it is gooey stuff.”
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Ekie:
Most informative thread and interesting topic.  I noticed some informed discussion regarding the factory coating applied over Parkerizing on certain FAL’s.  I have forgotten way more then I remember on the topic so I will just copy and paste and old post of mine:

“The Brownell's baking lacquer leaves a very thick finish, and is quite like the original "stoving" found on FMAP, FN, BSA, IMBEL, Enfield, and Lithgow FAL type rifles. I like the stuff when doing up a FAL, would not use it on anything else though. It is difficult to work with, you have to thin it, leaves a thick finish, and it is gooey stuff.”
View Quote

A former coworker turned me on to  Rustoleum 7777 black satin spray paint as an almost dead ringer for the factory FN paint. I used it on a Portuguese m962 clone and it looked fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#37]

A former coworker turned me on to  Rustoleum 7777 black satin spray paint as an almost dead ringer for the factory FN paint. I used it on a Portuguese m962 clone and it looked fantastic.
View All Quotes

On the FAL Files, someone used the Rustoleum to finish an IMBEL receiver on an IMBEL on IMBEL build before distressing the receiver to match the wear on the kit (which he did well).  Looked awesome.  There was no apparent difference between the receiver and the rest of the parts.  Looked like a match in the pictures.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
I did up a clone a few years back.  Took a little recent liberty on the optic (originally had an Aimpoint).

https://i.imgur.com/vUoJ2ZC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FPA7wt1.jpg
View Quote

@dump1567

What mount is that?  I like how low it sits to the rail.  What optic?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

@dump1567

What mount is that?  I like how low it sits to the rail.  What optic?
View Quote

They're just A.R.M.S. low Q/D rings.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#40]

On the FAL Files, someone used the Rustoleum to finish an IMBEL receiver on an IMBEL on IMBEL build before distressing the receiver to match the wear on the kit (which he did well).  Looked awesome.  There was no apparent difference between the receiver and the rest of the parts.  Looked like a match in the pictures.  Very nice.
View All Quotes

If this was a few years back, we're probably talking about the same guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Bump to avoid the Archives.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Be a Man among Men
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine I built around 2002 or so.  Those were the days of TAPCO cheap parts kits and $189.00 Imbel receivers.  

I think I did this one for around $350.00

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marcus5819] [#44]
Attachment Attached File

Let’s keep this tread going AAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

His name is Sir Winston
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump to save from the archive
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

After about 20 years since I had a FAL in the stable today I took possession of one. I’m debating if I should rattle can it…
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Game Warden FAL Pics (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top