Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 11:05:54 AM EDT
My local shop got a couple in.  This would just be a range toy.  I was looking for the 7.62x39 rifle, but those don't seem to be coming available.
buy or pass?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#1]
How much?

They're great guns.  AK action, made by the same folks who brought you the desert eagle, tavor, and uzi.  CHF/CL barrel.  Easy to sbr if you want.  Factory night sights, optics ready.  Limited aftermarket support.  It takes commonly available mags, but the 308 has no LRBHO.

They were $1500 pre-panic on sale.  $1700 most days.  You could go higher these days.  I wouldn't go up to $2500, but some folks would.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much?

They're great guns.  AK action, made by the same folks who brought you the desert eagle, tavor, and uzi.  CHF/CL barrel.  Easy to sbr if you want.  Factory night sights, optics ready.  Limited aftermarket support.  It takes commonly available mags, but the 308 has no LRBHO.

They were $1500 pre-panic on sale.  $1700 most days.  You could go higher these days.  I wouldn't go up to $2500, but some folks would.
View Quote

I think around $1800.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll probably like an XCR-M pistol much more. Similar operating system.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a CMMG 308 SBR in the same 12" barrel length and it too comes with a muzzle brake. The concussion is off the chart. I was getting a bit of ear ringing with 32 nrr plugs and 22 nrr impact pros. You'd need to put some kind of linear comp on there or a suppressor to shoot it comfortably. Definitely not an indoor range gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a ACE rifle in 556 and it's great!

That said I'd avoid the pistol, especially in .308. Too much velocity loss with the short barrel as you get under 16": https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-short-barrel-length-and-velocity-a-six-inch-308-bolt-gun/

By the time you're done to 12" in .308 you're in 7.62x39 territory with way worse blast and flash. Personally I'd avoid a money toilet that teaches me to flinch every time I pull the trigger.

If you want a short handy .308 get the Tavor 7. You'll get similar overall length with usable ballistics.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By the time you're done to 12" in .308 you're in 7.62x39 territory with way worse blast and flash. Personally I'd avoid a money toilet that teaches me to flinch every time I pull the trigger.

AJ
View Quote

This is what I've always thought.  Maybe I'll just wait for the 7.62x39 rifle to be available in my area.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is what I've always thought.  Maybe I'll just wait for the 7.62x39 rifle to be available in my area.
View Quote

They did release the 5.45 ACE recently. I'd be on that like white on rice if I didn't already have the 556 one.

5.XXmm is just so much nicer to shoot. I shoot paper and steel so terminal ballistics isn't really something I worry about.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They did release the 5.45 ACE recently. I'd be on that like white on rice if I didn't already have the 556 one.

5.XXmm is just so much nicer to shoot. I shoot paper and steel so terminal ballistics isn't really something I worry about.

AJ
View Quote

I though that was a limited run?  I can't even hardly find any Ace's in stock locally, so I doubt I'll run into that unicorn.  Although I do have about 2000 rnds of 5.45 since I own a 74.

I have run across a few 5.56's, but I already have the ATI Galil.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]

I second the Tavor 7. It's really great. You can still have muzzle flash if you throw something like the Pyro on there, but you have excellent velocity and compactness and don't need a tax stamp to fully enjoy it. Unlike the Galil Ace 308, the Tavor 7 has adjustable gas, so you can suppress it easily as well and since the barrel isn't too short, it won't wear out our can.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ifxZUQQy_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTyWlZ-feg

I second the Tavor 7. It's really great. You can still have muzzle flash if you throw something like the Pyro on there, but you have excellent velocity and compactness and don't need a tax stamp to fully enjoy it. Unlike the Galil Ace 308, the Tavor 7 has adjustable gas, so you can suppress it easily as well and since the barrel isn't too short, it won't wear out our can.

View Quote

I saw MAC's review on these and they look nice, but this is another gun I never see locally.  And I'm a lefty, so I don't even know if they make the conversion for it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not just yes. But FUCK YES!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw MAC's review on these and they look nice, but this is another gun I never see locally.  And I'm a lefty, so I don't even know if they make the conversion for it.
View Quote
The Tavor 7 is easily converted to left hand without having to buy anything else. Page 53 in the manual here.

https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/08.011.01.17.00_Tavor-7.pdf

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Even better for a lefty you can fully convert it to left handed instead of having it eject across in front of your face.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Galil ACE 308 pistol.   Does not kick that bad and flash wasn't a problem during the day.   Only could shoot out to 200 yds and shooting at a 3" pole hitting with no problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That said I'd avoid the pistol, especially in .308. Too much velocity loss with the short barrel as you get under 16": https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-short-barrel-length-and-velocity-a-six-inch-308-bolt-gun/

If you want a short handy .308 get the Tavor 7. You'll get similar overall length with usable ballistics.

AJ
View Quote

Agree with AJ.  It'll be a sweet flash bang but that's about it.  If you want a pistol I'd get the x39 variant, or wait and get the .308 in rifle format.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My local shop got a couple in.  This would just be a range toy.  I was looking for the 7.62x39 rifle, but those don't seem to be coming available.
buy or pass?
Thanks.
View Quote

Buy it, or I will!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

AJ
View Quote

My 12" G3K didn't exhibit what you're describing at all. It was a pleasurable SBR to shoot. The British had used the 12" barreled G3K in sniper roles, outfitted with Schmidt & Bender scopes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top