Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2020 7:51:55 PM EDT
Looking for suggestions for metal 10 round GSR mags.

I don't like the polymer mags basically for aesthetic reasons.

Looking for 10 rounds and hopefully more compact than the metal ones Ruger supplies/supplied as OEM.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not aware of any, and metal GSR mags are a double motherfucker to load.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Polymer GSR mags:

Are lighter than metal mags
Are quieter than metal mags
Are less expensive than metal mags
Are shorter in length for the same round count than metal mags
Are less likely to shred your fingers when loading ( no sharp edges like the metal ones have)
Are able to be top loaded without removing from the rifle where metal ones aren't
Are more durable than metal ( won't dent or get bent like the metal mags)
Are less reflective than the blued metal mags

I was the same at first, didn't like the idea of using "plastic" mags, but hard to ignore the numerous advantages of the poly mags over the steel "boat rudder" mags.
After using the poly mags, I sold the steel boat rudder mags as soon as I could.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with above, use the polymer Ruger branded mags.

I tried some Alpha AICS mags and had feeding problems with them. I have also heard the AICS Pmags are not compatible with every stock, so I have steered clear of those for now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the OEM Ruger polymer mags, of all capacities.  In some cases, they take some "working-in" in order for the plastic to be "shaved/worked-in" by the bolt, but this is a minor, one-time issue.  I would not consider a brand-new plastic Ruger mag GTG until it has been run through its' paces, but several cycles of the bolt will serve to make things right for a given magazine.  Unfortunately, this process needs to be done to verify a given magazine, but this is not something unusual.  In fact, verifying any given magazine is essential, and best done at one's leisure.

Send such mags that don't measure up back to Ruger.  They will send you a new one.

The OEM Ruger mag springs are not coated with any lubricant.  Ruger has often used rust-resistant springs, but I believe a thin coating of oil on the entire surface of mag springs is ALWAYS a good idea.

I ALWAYS make certain that my mag springs have a light coat of oil on them, to resist corrosion.  Having replaced many mag springs that became corroded, "A stitch in time is worth Nine".

The OEM, metal, single stack mag has been OK from the start, but very prone to rattling.  Not to mention far too long for its' capacity.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use the OEM Ruger polymer mags, of all capacities.  

The OEM, metal, single stack mag has been OK from the start, but very prone to rattling.  Not to mention far too long for its' capacity.
View Quote
All of this.  

After using the factory 10 round metal mag while hunting once, I quickly bought the polymer waffle pattern Ruger mags (which have since been redesigned).  The AICS PMAG design looks pretty neat, and is much more compact than the metal OEM.

There was some other company that made a slightly more compact metal 10 rounder, but if memory serves it was about twice as expensive as the OEM metal mags (which themselves are about twice as expensive as the polymer mags).

ETA: Alpha Industries was the other metal mag manufacturer.  They have mixed reviews.  But one of them is Here, where they review it, the OEM metal, and OEM plastic 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just FYI, if one has an FAL-type mag-charger, and the appropriate 5-rd stripper clips, one can slip the mag-charger over the top of a polymer Ruger mag and load the mag.  It is not possible to do this with the single-stack metal mags.

I don't know the long-term effects of stripper clip loading with respect to polymer mags, but the results of my few experiments have shown no signs of the polymer mags being damaged.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought I'd hate the plastic magazines as well, due to the above stated reasons.

However, in actual practice, I find them to be much preferred.

If for no other reason than they can be top-loaded.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought I'd hate the plastic magazines as well, due to the above stated reasons.

However, in actual practice, I find them to be much preferred.

If for no other reason than they can be top-loaded.
View Quote

Concur. and the ability to be "topped-off" is valuable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever magazine one buys, make sure to dis-assemble it, and to coat the spring with a very light coating of CLP or some other long-lasting anti-rust compound.

Just do this as a required maintenance item.  

Just caught, in time, seven aftermarket Thermold 30-rd mags whose springs were just starting to rust.

IMHO, OEM Ruger mags DO NOT come with oil-coated springs.

Your magazines are a maintenance item.  Don't neglect maintaining them!

Submitted for your consideration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top