Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2018 11:23:48 AM EDT
I recently purchased a Polytech M14 from an estate. It has been upgraded with GI flash hider, Springfield trigger assembly, National Match sights, and a bolt that is marked SA. I assume this is a GI Bolt or maybe a bolt out of a commercial M1A. Action is smooth and I see no visible signs of wear on the lugs. How do I figure out if the conversion was done correctly and not some hack job?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Very tough to do forensically.

Without that information from the owner (who I take it has passed) or the heirs (review of checks - credit card bills) very tough to do.

At this point, you bought a pig in a poke.  (unknown quality of work)

I'd have it headspace checked by a good M-14 mechanic at the minimum before firing it.

This guy "Tim Strait" at  "Warbirds" is - was a name who was specializing in M-14 bolt conversions.

LINK to WARBIRDS M-14 Work   http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/M14-M1A.htm

I'd start with him - he may have the serial number on file.

Good Luck!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Good advice. Tim did my Polytech. He knows the score.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very tough to do forensically.

Without that information from the owner (who I take it has passed) or the heirs (review of checks - credit card bills) very tough to do.

At this point, you bought a pig in a poke.  (unknown quality of work)

I'd have it headspace checked by a good M-14 mechanic at the minimum before firing it.

This guy "Tim Strait" at  "Warbirds" is - was a name who was specializing in M-14 bolt conversions.

LINK to WARBIRDS M-14 Work   http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/M14-M1A.htm

I'd start with him - he may have the serial number on file.

Good Luck!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
Warbirds did mine with a TRW bolt around ten years ago for its previous owner, and it’s solid work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Me Norinco with Amerikanski bolt TRW having.

Great rifle.

At your rifle you look.  Is front sight straight and level?  Can you headspace guages get?  Or maybe to gunsmith rifle take?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A USGI bolt rammed high-n-hard into a ChiCom M14 receiver?  

Sounds like a recipe for major incompatibility right there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 warbird usgi converted polytechs. he is gtg
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a Polytech M14 from an estate. It has been upgraded with GI flash hider, Springfield trigger assembly, National Match sights, and a bolt that is marked SA. I assume this is a GI Bolt or maybe a bolt out of a commercial M1A. Action is smooth and I see no visible signs of wear on the lugs. How do I figure out if the conversion was done correctly and not some hack job?
View Quote
What are your concerns?

The way I'd check it would be:

1) Check headspace

2) Check flash hider alignment. Most gunsmiths can check headspace and flash hider alignment. Make sure the flash hider isn't wiggling too badly.

3) Verify the bolt is moving correctly. This is a good video to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZjVJb0tRk

4) Fire a few - factory - rounds to verify no signs of overpressure or popped primers
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Last year I had Tim at Warbirds rebarrel and install a Bula bolt in a Polytech. He did a great job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top