Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 12:33:52 PM EDT
Anybody try 1 of these?  I have the Magpul currently but GG&G claims theirs allows for a more full contact between the Harris Bipod and the stock.  Maybe I should just add a swivel stud and ditch the adapters.  It's a Magpul Hunter stock.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't overthink things. If it works, it works. The Magpul stud adapter appears more streamline and smaller profile.  But the radius edge of the GG&G would allow more contact, but I don't think it would make a big difference.  If its tightened down, the bipod shouldn't have any play in the stock.  Why switch over to a conventional sling stud over the magpul Stud adapter?

What are you trying to achieve by utilizing a new adapter?

Personally, I prefer low profile and lightweight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't overthink things. If it works, it works. The Magpul stud adapter appears more streamline and smaller profile.  But the radius edge of the GG&G would allow more contact, but I don't think it would make a big difference.  If its tightened down, the bipod shouldn't have any play in the stock.  Why switch over to a conventional sling stud over the magpul Stud adapter?

What are you trying to achieve by utilizing a new adapter?

Personally, I prefer low profile and lightweight.
View Quote

Maybe I am over thinking it.  My only thought on the conventional sling stud is that it allows the plate on the Harris to come into full contact with the stock.  Like you said.  Probably not a big deal.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I have a bad idea of what magpul adapter you have, but both magpul bipod adapter I think you have and conventional stud should still give you the same surfacing bearing area.  Both wings of the Harris bipod should be touching the same amount.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe I have a bad idea of what magpul adapter you have, but both magpul bipod adapter I think you have and conventional stud should still give you the same surfacing bearing area.  Both wings of the Harris bipod should be touching the same amount.
View Quote

The Magpul adapter puts the stud about an 1/8" or more away from the stock as compared to a normal conventional stud.  The normal stud sits right against the stock but the Magpul does not.  Thus you have a space between the bipod plate and the stock.  I wish I was better at posting pics.  I guess I will just live with it but still wonder if there isn't some flex there.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So with the design of the Harris, the depth of the stud shouldn't be super critical. Its suppose to pull the stud into the bipod to adjust tension.  It should be fairly forgiving in that retrospect.  As long as its tight and not wobbly it should be fine.  Use an allen key to tighten down the screw if you don't think hand tight is sufficient.  

There will be some flex in everything.  Including the stock forend, which I don't think the Magpul stocks have any steel/aluminum backbones that would stiffen the forend.  You could also add spacers on the wings of the bipod that come into contact with the stock if you think it isn't on there tight.  Or if you helps you sleep at night, get the GG&G mount. Its a $24 mount so it isn't breaking the bank.

I can't think if my Harris has a foam/rubber spacer on the wings to protect the finish on the forend, but the Ebay bipod I have definitely has foam/rubber spacers that would in theory impart more flex into the stock/bipod interface.

Given your current setup, are you experiencing any issues with the way your bipod is currently mounted?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So with the design of the Harris, the depth of the stud shouldn't be super critical. Its suppose to pull the stud into the bipod to adjust tension.  It should be fairly forgiving in that retrospect.  As long as its tight and not wobbly it should be fine.  Use an allen key to tighten down the screw if you don't think hand tight is sufficient.  

There will be some flex in everything.  Including the stock forend, which I don't think the Magpul stocks have any steel/aluminum backbones that would stiffen the forend.  You could also add spacers on the wings of the bipod that come into contact with the stock if you think it isn't on there tight.  Or if you helps you sleep at night, get the GG&G mount. Its a $24 mount so it isn't breaking the bank.

I can't think if my Harris has a foam/rubber spacer on the wings to protect the finish on the forend, but the Ebay bipod I have definitely has foam/rubber spacers that would in theory impart more flex into the stock/bipod interface.

Given your current setup, are you experiencing any issues with the way your bipod is currently mounted?
View Quote

You make good points Sir.  I am really not experiencing any issues.  Just that the gap between the stock and the bipod bother me.  I guess I just need to put my OCD tendencies aside and deal with what is probably a non-issue.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, if it makes you happy, do it.  I was just trying to understand if there was a physical issue with the setup.

I will swap out parts because it provides a cleaner look depending on the build and part etc.  If anything, I would replace it with a Mlok rail section on the forend and add a QD mount on the bipod.  It gives you faster removal of the bipod and allows you to quickly switch it to another platform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top