Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2022 4:35:58 PM EDT
Has anyone tried to retrofit a steel G3 grip module on a MP5 /AP5?

Navy mp5 on top g3 on bottom.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's very simple.  For the MKE AP5, all you have to do is cut down that rear tang so it only have the single pin hole.  You can either reprofile the hole so it's open in the top like the metal housing pic you have there, or leave the single hole closed, so long as you remove enough of the tang on the back so the endcap/stock can fully seat on the receiver.

The SEF MP5 trigger housings sold by HK Parts are actually these HK91/G3 housings that they already modified for you.

https://hkparts.net/product/hk-sef-navy-style-polymer-housing-push-pin-exc-ln.htm/

Ha, I read as you wanting to go the opposite way.

You actually have a picture of housings both for the G3/HK91.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can cut down that G3 metal housing's rear tang so it fit's the end cap for the AP5, it should work, you'll just have a little exposed bit on the receiver above the forward pin.  You will need a metal housing compatible safety lever, since they have a shorter strut than the plastic housing lever, the metal housings are narrower overall.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Been done many times

Just have to make it fit by chopping down the rear end and making the front of the housing appropriate for whatever sear block the gun has
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are both G3 trigger housings. To use on a double push pin receiver, like an AP5, you would shorten (cut) the rear mounting tang to the same length as your original trigger housing, so it is even with, or just short of the rear of your receiver.

Also, the trigger guard on the steel G3 housing has been bent into a wonky shape; it should have the same shape as the polymer housing at the top.

ETA: it looks like I'm a slow poster.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick responses.  I was aware of the requirement to change the rear tang to that of the AP5.  However, I wasn't aware of dimensional (thinner?) differences or any required changes to the front profile of the housing.  I kinda like the heavier feel of the metal G3 housing so will give it a go and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure the wonky trigger-guard shape is because that's a CETME trigger housing, not a G3. Should still work to the best of my recollection, assuming you chop the rear tang and make whatever front-end modifications needed to fit your receiver's shelf.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The steel G3 trigger housings I've seen are almost wide open in the area of the MKE shelf, so you shouldn't need to do any metal removal at the front to get it to fit. It still won't "swing down", due to the MKE trigger pack hitting the MKE shelf, but it should fit after you do the "tang surgery" to it.

ETA: That is definitely a steel G3 trigger housing; you can tell by the "SEF" markings. CETME trigger housings have different markings (and different fire control positions, too).
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I guess that's what I get for going from memory of "the guard is a little different" and not looking it up before opening my yap
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I guess that's what I get for going from memory of "the guard is a little different" and not looking it up before opening my yap
View Quote

I think you both deserve half credit.
Both were advertised as G3 grips and delivered at the same time. The one in plastic looks like a typical HK
trigger guard.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Both were advertised as G3 grips and delivered at the same time. The one in plastic looks like a typical HK
trigger guard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66240/20221108_132957_jpg-2592495.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66240/20221108_133052_jpg-2592502.JPG
View Quote
They are both G3/HK91 trigger housings.  The metal design is the original/earlier version and the all polymer one is the later SEF design that replaced it.  You can find pictures of the German army using updated G3s with those newer polymer housings.  I suspect the glut of used polymer SEF housings on the market getting converted for MP5 and MP5K use are probably German surplus items after they adopted more of the G36 rifles.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

trigger guard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66240/20221108_132957_jpg-2592495.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66240/20221108_133052_jpg-2592502.JPG
View Quote

Someone either accidentally, or more likely intentionally bent the trigger guard on that steel G3 trigger housing. It definitely didn't come from H&K looking like that.

You could easily bend it back to its original shape, if you were so inclined. It originally had the same shape as is seen on your polymer G3 trigger housing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are both G3/HK91 trigger housings.  The metal design is the original/earlier version and the all polymer one is the later SEF design that replaced it.  You can find pictures of the German army using updated G3s with those newer polymer housings.  I suspect the glut of used polymer SEF housings on the market getting converted for MP5 and MP5K use are probably German surplus items after they adopted more of the G36 rifles.

https://nationalinterest.org/sites/default/files/main_images/H73%20%281%29.jpg

View Quote

Interesting pic. I'm ALL about the magwell grip on my AR pistols and MPs. But I never used such a short radius hold grip on my G3 (which my son has now), or any other rifle length long gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know whether MP5 actually used the same type of metal housing like the G3 housing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone know whether MP5 actually used the same type of metal housing like the G3 housing?
View Quote
"Real" MP5s did not, they were always plastic.

However, the old HK94 civilian import models from the 80's used the metal housings like the G3.  It was one of the modifications made to the design to make it more difficult to covert to full auto and satisfy German export laws.  This is why in movies from that era like Die Hard you see them with metal housings, since prop houses would convert semi '94s by chopping down the barrel and doing the conversion work to make them full auto.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Real" MP5s did not, they were always plastic.

However, the old HK94 civilian import models from the 80's used the metal housings like the G3.  It was one of the modifications made to the design to make it more difficult to covert to full auto and satisfy German export laws.  This is why in movies from that era like Die Hard you see them with metal housings, since prop houses would convert semi '94s by chopping down the barrel and doing the conversion work to make them full auto.
View Quote

How would changing the grip housing from plastic to metal make it more difficult?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top