Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2022 11:03:38 PM EDT
Howdy SBS group.  Question I can't find clarity on.

I have a NFA registered all legal SBS (Rem 870 Police Magnum - South Carolina HP) 14.5" barrel.   I shortened the barrel to 12.5" and took an inch off the butt stock.  I consider both of these "temporary modifications" since I can put another 14.5" barrel and normal stock back on it at any time.  I want to take the current stock off and use a bird's head grip.  Am I turning this NFA registered SBS into an AOW (or just messing it up)?

Thanks for any pointers to reference material.  reading and re-reading the NFA guide with no clarity.  Could be my COVID-eaten brain is hindering my understanding.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Captain_Kidd:

I have a NFA registered all legal SBS (Rem 870 Police Magnum - South Carolina HP) 14.5" barrel.   I shortened the barrel to 12.5" and took an inch off the butt stock.  I consider both of these "temporary modifications" since I can put another 14.5" barrel and normal stock back on it at any time.  I want to take the current stock off and use a bird's head grip.  Am I turning this NFA registered SBS into an AOW (or just messing it up)?

Thanks for any pointers to reference material.  reading and re-reading the NFA guide with no clarity.  Could be my COVID-eaten brain is hindering my understanding.
View Quote
You are fine going from sbs to anything else from my understanding. Sbs trumps aow so I believe you are fine to change configuration without making something new that needs to be re-registered.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Captain_Kidd:

View Quote

The BATFE likes to be updated on all permanent configuration changes for the sake of record keeping.

That is the only guidance I have, there.

Functionally, BATFE is a bunch of clueless people who don't care one bit about the law, don't care what you do or don't do, and are just putting food on the table and trying to maintain friendships, marriages, etc. and you shouldn't really worry about them. That's my personal experience trying to deal with local BATFE branches for compliance issues: They. Don't. Know. Or. Care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top