Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2018 9:44:33 PM EDT
$500 Inland from the fun show:

Attachment Attached File

Already swapped the Inland from the Choate folder to a beat up original I had bought for the IBM receiver (now in the Choate)

Looks like 618xxx range.  Early safety, flat bolt, flip sights.  Replacement metal handguard, Lyman front sight mounted on muzzle brake.  I'm missing the rear action screw and washer, a buttplate, buttplate screws, the oiler, a sling, and some 15 round mags.

Plan is to clean the stock and steam out some dents in it, refinish if necessary (not original to this gun, was very cheap surplus b/c it was beat up), move all the Inland parts to the IBM receiver, and give Da, a retired accountant, an IBM carbine for Christmas.  Sometime in the hopefully distant future I'll remove the muzzle brake and replace the front sight.

Any suggestions for cleaning the stock?  Dishwasher will do?  (ETA:  Dishwasher worked!  See pics below.)

Seeing as presumably the bolt is properly headspaced to the bbl (will have to check), if I move both of those components to the IBM receiver, does the headspace remain the same?  Will I have a timing issue w/ the front sight & gas port if I move the bbl?

Between the muzzle brake silver soldered to the bbl and the presumable TX DL # etched into the trigger guard, not seeing any collector's value here, no concerns about moving parts to the IBM receiver.  Not going to pass off the assembled gun as a genuine IBM.

ETA:  My carbine expert identified quite a few of the parts today.  Winchester bolt, another maker's slide, Inland bbl, receiver, & hammer.  IBM sear, etc.  Complete mixmaster from the get-go.

Now shopping for mags.  Links below.
 ETA:  98kGuy took care of me for 2 mags.  Just have to decide which stock to fix or use.  FIL repaired the SARCO stock, about to drill.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Got my weapon light and a loupe on it, and the bbl is an Inland '43.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
There was some gunk on the receiver's handguard ring - scraped that off & uncovered the chip out of the front of the ring on the receiver, and the presumable scope mount hole drilled into the bbl.  There appears to be a second scope mount hole drilled further back on the top of the receiver, also filled in w/ what I hope is epoxy.

Not the end of the world, as I was going to ditch this receiver anyway, but if I have to shell out for a new bbl, this is no longer a steal.  If the rear hold was filled w/ weld, and thus the bbl's welded on there, I'll be rather put out.  Probably just epoxy.

ETA:  Able to scrape it out.  Hopefully tap holes are not so deep that the bbl can't be reused.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If you move the bolt to another rifle check headspace. Are there any import marks on it? With the flat bolt and flip sight I'm thinking it's a GI bringback that someone bubbad .

Love the M-1 Carbine, owned several over the years and 2 right now

Top is my CMP Inland I've had since 2008, it has the flat bolt. Bottom is a Blue Sky marked one I bought last year as a plinker. I missed shooting Carbines so much and had so little luck finding a decent priced USGI one I ordered one of these last month

https://www.fulton-armory.com/carbineuscal30m1.aspx

Most I've ever spent on a gun. I figure if it's as good as the rep for Fulton Armory is I've got a nice shooter, then I can get the import marked one rebarreled if I can find a decent USGI barrel and have 2 shooters and a safe queen for history's sake
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Haven't seen any import marks.  The stamps are very difficult to read under the bluing.

Given the Choate stock, muzzle brake, tap for a scope mount, bluing, and lack of blue on the front sight, I'm thinking that it was a 43 that was never rearsenaled.

They shot it til half the finish was worn off, had it reblued, added the muzzle brake and front sight, later tapped for a scope mount & took off the rear sight.  When the Choate came out, at some point they threw it in that.

Later the scope mount was lost, and to sell it, they threw a flip sight back on, original or not we can't tell.  To camouflage the damage to the receiver, the rear hole was plugged, and epoxy was rubbed on the front of the receiver.

Hopefully will take it to my FIL tomorrow and see if the tap in the bbl is too deep to use or not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually toyed with getting the Choate stock on the Fulton Armory one I'm having built, I talked myself out of it for now. I might get one down the road for the import marked one, if I can't replace the barrel with a decent USGI one I'll have FA install one of their replacements.

I've always thought a Carbine with a folding stock and decent red dot would be a nice "truck" gun. I've a couple decent 30 round USGI mags I trust, close range you can use the stock folded and anything out to 200 yards you use the stock
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my winchester but it shoots left. I am hoping a new barrel will fix that
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Check your rear sight. Every USGI carbine I've owned with the adjustable rear sight has shot off to one side (I've had 4 over the years).

Every time it's been when the replacement sight was installed off center. Keep in mind when they did the post war rebuilds they tended to install them quick and let the unit armorers sort things out IMO

That's my CMP Inland, you can see how far left I have the sight dialed and how the sight itself is a tad farther right than it should be.

Good news is it's zeroed and a tack driver, that's 50 rounds at 50 yards bench rested. People forget these things were designed to be 3" MOA guns at 100 yards. I figured the biggest reason I was low left at 50 was it's been awhile since I've shot the CMP gun
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not shot mine yet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fan. I wish I had more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check your rear sight. Every USGI carbine I've owned with the adjustable rear sight has shot off to one side (I've had 4 over the years).

Every time it's been when the replacement sight was installed off center. Keep in mind when they did the post war rebuilds they tended to install them quick and let the unit armorers sort things out IMO

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989996.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989997.jpg

That's my CMP Inland, you can see how far left I have the sight dialed and how the sight itself is a tad farther right than it should be.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989998.jpg

Good news is it's zeroed and a tack driver, that's 50 rounds at 50 yards bench rested. People forget these things were designed to be 3" MOA guns at 100 yards. I figured the biggest reason I was low left at 50 was it's been awhile since I've shot the CMP gun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989996.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989997.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24808486/413989998.jpg

That is just like mine, I thought if I mechanically centered the sights it should be real close like my m1 rifles
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually love the carbine. I want to buy one within the next year. I started to bid on an I carbine but I got cold feet. I don't know enough about them yet. Real verses reproduction. I ended up buying a Garand or I should say will be buying next week.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
For the most part, almost all of the post-war reproductions used GI compatible parts - the major exception is the late Universal, of which they made a bunch.  The late Universal is instantly recognizable from two obvious features:  the bolt lug cut through the operating rod, so you can see the bolt lug through the slot cut there, and the wide FCS/magwell module, in which the FCS section is the same width as the magwell, unlike the GI style, which has the FCS section noticeably narrower than the magwell.

If you want a shooter, almost any of the post-war commercial carbines other than the late Universal will do fine, and if anything breaks, a GI or new part can be substituted.  If you don't like the metal handguard, buy a GI style wooden one.

This is a good read on the various companies that have made aftermarket carbines - all of the early post-war companies started w/ GI surplus parts; as the supply dried up, the smaller companies ceased production.  Universal met the challenge by redesigning the action for easier production - but now with Universal gone, their later carbines are orphans with no parts supply:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbines.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I actually love the carbine. I want to buy one within the next year. I started to bid on an I carbine but I got cold feet. I don't know enough about them yet. Real verses reproduction. I ended up buying a Garand or I should say will be buying next week.
View Quote
Try this site

M-1 Carbine Info

If you can find a good WWII made USGI that's the way to go. The problem is the price of those have taken a radical jump in the past few years. For example, the "CMP" Inland I posted a picture of I paid $700 bucks for in 2007-8. It now can fetch $1200-1500 on my local market (Cincinnati area).

The 2nd one I posted is what's known as a "import" marked one. Those at one time weren't as high as CMP/NRA/ GI bringbacks but have gone up in price. I've owned 2 "Blue Sky" marked ones over the years (their considered risky to buy since the importer overstamped some barrels and warped them).

The 1st I owned I paid $250 for in 2003, I sold it in 2011 when I got the AR building bug for $450-500 bucks IIRR. The one I own now I paid $700 bucks for and have seen them marked higher now my area.

The 1 thing to remember with USGI made carbines is most are what's known as "mixmasters" They were rebuilt after the war or during the war companies swapped parts as needed to full production needs. Someone says they have a 100% "correct" National Poster Meter for example, odds are they did it themselves

Reproduction carbines are hit or miss. There are decent ones on the marked but there are also total dogs. I've owned 2 Plainfield's over the years I bought used, 1 was a nice gun, the 2nd a jamomatic. Luckily for me I'd bought that from a shop with a decent warranty program and got a refund, they told me they ended up using the gun for parts

The only new reproduction I've ever bought was a Auto Ordnance made one, and it was the biggest POS rifle I've ever owned. It would NOT feed a round from any USGI mag I owned (and I have 20 of them here), only from the cheap Promag made one A/O sells with the rifle.

It spent the 1st year I owned it going back and forth to A/O without fixing the problem. They ruined 3 USGI mags I would send back each time. I ended up dumping the rifle on a reenactor I knew who wanted a blank gun.

The problem with repros is while some used surplus USGI parts most modern ones don't, they copied existing parts and use MIM parts and cast investment receivers instead of the forged receivers the gun was designed for.

The exception is the Fulton Armory, they use USGI spec metal blanks in their receivers and CNC machining. LMT is their supplier from what I understand, and they use surplus parts for the rest with Criterion made new production barrels to USGI WWII spec.

Their pricey and I'm 1st person on the forum or real-time I know who has bought one, and I won't get mine until sometime before the end of the year (I bought it on a Labor Day sale and they take 10-12 weeks to build the rifle)

I plan on doing a write for the forum for it. My logic for buying one was I've been looking all of 2018 for a decent non import marked with no luck, any on the shelves here are running $1400-1500 bucks and even import marked ones had hit a grand.

If the FA one lives up to their rep I plan on having them rebarrel my Blue Sky marked one and tune up my CMP marked one next year
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Try this site

M-1 Carbine Info

If you can find a good WWII made USGI that's the way to go. The problem is the price of those have taken a radical jump in the past few years. For example, the "CMP" Inland I posted a picture of I paid $700 bucks for in 2007-8. It now can fetch $1200-1500 on my local market (Cincinnati area).

The 2nd one I posted is what's known as a "import" marked one. Those at one time weren't as high as CMP/NRA/ GI bringbacks but have gone up in price. I've owned 2 "Blue Sky" marked ones over the years (their considered risky to buy since the importer overstamped some barrels and warped them).

The 1st I owned I paid $250 for in 2003, I sold it in 2011 when I got the AR building bug for $450-500 bucks IIRR. The one I own now I paid $700 bucks for and have seen them marked higher now my area.

The 1 thing to remember with USGI made carbines is most are what's known as "mixmasters" They were rebuilt after the war or during the war companies swapped parts as needed to full production needs. Someone says they have a 100% "correct" National Poster Meter for example, odds are they did it themselves

Reproduction carbines are hit or miss. There are decent ones on the marked but there are also total dogs. I've owned 2 Plainfield's over the years I bought used, 1 was a nice gun, the 2nd a jamomatic. Luckily for me I'd bought that from a shop with a decent warranty program and got a refund, they told me they ended up using the gun for parts

The only new reproduction I've ever bought was a Auto Ordnance made one, and it was the biggest POS rifle I've ever owned. It would NOT feed a round from any USGI mag I owned (and I have 20 of them here), only from the cheap Promag made one A/O sells with the rifle.

It spent the 1st year I owned it going back and forth to A/O without fixing the problem. They ruined 3 USGI mags I would send back each time. I ended up dumping the rifle on a reenactor I knew who wanted a blank gun.

The problem with repros is while some used surplus USGI parts most modern ones don't, they copied existing parts and use MIM parts and cast investment receivers instead of the forged receivers the gun was designed for.

The exception is the Fulton Armory, they use USGI spec metal blanks in their receivers and CNC machining. LMT is their supplier from what I understand, and they use surplus parts for the rest with Criterion made new production barrels to USGI WWII spec.

Their pricey and I'm 1st person on the forum or real-time I know who has bought one, and I won't get mine until sometime before the end of the year (I bought it on a Labor Day sale and they take 10-12 weeks to build the rifle)

I plan on doing a write for the forum for it. My logic for buying one was I've been looking all of 2018 for a decent non import marked with no luck, any on the shelves here are running $1400-1500 bucks and even import marked ones had hit a grand.

If the FA one lives up to their rep I plan on having them rebarrel my Blue Sky marked one and tune up my CMP marked one next year
View Quote
I looked at FA's website to the other day to find a "shooter" carbine - holy cow!  I like how the carbine handles and the round can be a great HD round, so I'm interested in one that is newer and reliable (that I don't have to worry about damaging) - love my USGI carbine, but I wouldn't trust it for anything serious - just me.   I've only heard negative reviews of the A/O repros and mixed reviews on the newer Inlands.  Don't know if I can justify spending the equivalent of 2 USGI shooters on a FA repro for my purposes.  I'll be interested in your forthcoming review, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I looked at FA's website to the other day to find a "shooter" carbine - holy cow!  I like how the carbine handles and the round can be a great HD round, so I'm interested in one that is newer and reliable (that I don't have to worry about damaging) - love my USGI carbine, but I wouldn't trust it for anything serious - just me.   I've only heard negative reviews of the A/O repros and mixed reviews on the newer Inlands.  Don't know if I can justify spending the equivalent of 2 USGI shooters on a FA repro for my purposes.  I'll be interested in your forthcoming review, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this site

M-1 Carbine Info

Oh,trust me. I hate paying that price for the FA but given the price of current usgi made ones I'm hoping the extra money spent gets me a quality rifle for only one hundred to two hundred dollars more.

I figure I'll save time and money not running around local gun shops looking for one.  The only "decent" one I've seen this summer is 1500 bucks, and the barrel looks beat. $150 more I have a new usgi spec Carbine
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad I have one Carbine- a Standard Products- but I've no desire for another.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm glad I have one Carbine- a Standard Products- but I've no desire for another.
View Quote
You will, it's a slow developing disease. I started with a nice "IBM", then while doing research on it, found out about ALL the other (9) different manufactures. Then I discovered that some of the manufactures had sub-manufactures make their receivers to help keep up production. Wouldn't you know it, the next gun show I go to a NICE "IBM - AO" stamped carbine jumped right in my hands. That's a receiver that was made by Auto Ordinance (Thompson machine gun factory) for IBM's production. AO was the only sub for IBM, so know I'm on the look out for the next group on my list.
Yes it is a disease, but I think I have it under control.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes it is a disease, but I think I have it under control.  
View Quote
It's under control only because we don't have the dough and missed the days when they were cheaper and we had 1. I win either of those lottery drawings this week......
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's under control only because we don't have the dough and missed the days when they were cheaper and we had 1. I win either of those lottery drawings this week......
View Quote
Ain't that the truth.  I'm not that old, but if I'd started on carbines when I first got into guns, I'd have been able to find nice examples all day for $500 - pristine for $650.  I didn't start paying attention to them again until recently and I couldn't believe what they're going for.  With so many built, I have a hard time imagining prices will stay this high, but one never knows.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ain't that the truth.  I'm not that old, but if I'd started on carbines when I first got into guns, I'd have been able to find nice examples all day for $500 - pristine for $650.  I didn't start paying attention to them again until recently and I couldn't believe what they're going for.  With so many built, I have a hard time imagining prices will stay this high, but one never knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see prices staying this high. While they did make 6 million of them the problem is there are few left that can be sold on the surplus market. I think there are maybe 3 million left on the market already owned by civilians so long after the war and they'll hold their value. The other 3 million are worn out or destroyed in action
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
With no want or need for an M1A1, and other rifles to keep me occupied, I'll be content with the one. That being said, it's a very fun shooter, as any Carbine owner knows.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of love here, just expensive to shoot in comparison to some others.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of love here, just expensive to shoot in comparison to some others.
View Quote
Not really, you can get decent ammo for.30 cents a round if you shop around and buy bulk SGAmmo has it for $150 per 500 rounds. About the same as. 223 was not to long ago
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I found TWO guys tonight who can disassemble my Inland, and then I should be able to build it back onto the IBM receiver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Welp - got everything moved over to the IBM.  Seemingly a burr in the IBM receiver threads, but was able to line up the Inland bbl w/ a big ass receiver wrench.  Now need to clean up the stock.  Have a pound or so of calcium carbonate, which I have been told to mix w/ mineral spirits into a paste, and then cover the stock w/ it to soak out some of the oil.  Then I plan to wash it in the dishwasher on steam setting, see if we get some dents out.  Have to glue a crack coming from the magwell corner, and fill a couple of chips w/ wood filler.  Stain those?  Then reoil it w/ tung oil - or is it linseed?

Lemme see if I can get some pics up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Inland bbl approaching witness mark on IBM receiver (that apparently has a nice burr in the threads somewhere...)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
And here's how much work I need to do on the stock:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Yes, I'm aware the bbl has been shortened to 16" and had a muzzle brake and Lyman ramp sight attached, clearly it's a metal upper handguard, and I need some 15 round GI mags.  But it won't close on a NoGo gauge, and will close on a Go, so she should shoot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got done with a Garand USGI stock that was worse than that. I rubbed it down with mineral spirits and a rough rag first. I then hit it with the heat gun and wiped off the seeping oil. Then I went outside and kit it with krud cutter. 50/50 mineral spirits BLO and then just BLO after.

The stock looks great now, retains the deep red tone of a USGI stock.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Dishwasher w/ steam setting was a success.  Tiny bit of rust on the takedown nut.  Light brown now, and you can clearly see the Ordnance stamp on the right side.  The faded rack numbers are more visible as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the purpose of the extra hollow space in front of the slide?  Almost looks like one could do a mid-gas if one lengthened the piston...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Pics of the stock out of the dishwasher - rack #s:

Attachment Attached File

Genuine GI stock:

Attachment Attached File

Le craque:

Attachment Attached File

You can see where someone tried to fix it w/ staples...  A couple of chips need wood filler as well:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
At the insistence of my FIL, I ordered a new production stock from SARCO - which means I have THREE carbine stocks on hand, sigh.

On to magazines.

Might order a 5 round from ProMag, yes, I'm aware of their reputation, but oddly have had very good luck w/ the 3 I have for 2 different platforms.  Seemingly it's the only mag available that might be close to a flush-fit:

https://promagindustries.com/online-only/755-car-02-m1-carbine-5-round-magazine.html

I'm also planning on getting 2-3x 15 rounders, and I've heard good things about Keep Shooting.  Attractive price, as well.

Keep Shooting has a very attractive price on 15 rounders - any good?

https://www.keepshooting.com/mil-spec-m1-carbine-15rd-magazine.html

J&G Sales has an attractive price on GI mags:

www.jgsales.com/m1-carbine-15rd-surplus-magazine,-original-usgi,-fair-to-good-condition.-p-3286.html

Presumably new-made Auto Ordnance (Kahr) mags, for a little more:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/auto-ordnance-m1-carbine-30cal-15-round-magazine.html

Ammo Garand lets you pick by manufacturer code.  Rugg is cheapest in stock:

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-carbine-15rd-magazines-rugg-coded-excell115.html

Fulton Armory has NOS US GI mags w/ small rust spots:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/magazinecarbine15roundnewfultonarmory-1.aspx

Kahr also offers their new made Auto Ordnance:

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/long-gun-magazines/auto-ordnance-15-round-carbine-magazine-mc110as.asp

Northridge has used GI mags w/ some rust:

https://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/m1c-124.htm

Classic has a new-made Inland mag (by HiPoint, no less):

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ilm-clp3015-15rd-magnum-30car-for-m1/

They also have the best price I've seen on Kahr's Auto Ordnance brand:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/auto-ordnance-mc110as-m-1-carbine-30-carbine/
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Shit I just sold like 12 perfect USGI 15 rounders for $25 each....I do have two left, you can have 'em for $20 each, or both in a WWII mag pouch for $55....

I will be set up at the DACA show if your interested, just let me know, and I will set them aside....

ETA I have never heard anything good about after market carbine mags, personally I'd stick with USGI wherever you may get them....
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shit I just sold like 12 perfect USGI 15 rounders for $25 each....I do have two left, you can have 'em for $20 each, or both in a WWII mag pouch for $55....

I will be set up at the DACA show if your interested, just let me know, and I will set them aside....

ETA I have never heard anything good about after market carbine mags, personally I'd stick with USGI wherever you may get them....
View Quote
I'll see you at the DACA show then.  Just signed up, still collecting signatures.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#35]
That crack is an easy fix. A syringe, some Gorilla Glue, and a clamp and it will be solid. A bit of paint thinner and some elbow grease will make short work of that Korean paint.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
The ones sold by AIM are pretty good
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#37]
98kGuy took care of me for the mags.

Now I have 3x carbine stocks & 3x upper handguards.

1x Choate folder w/ accompanying commercial metal handguard.  Both are 100%.

1x Winchester slim w/ a couple of small chips and one large crack.  Cleaned up nicely in the dishwasher to a nice light brown, Ordnance stamp visible.  I could glue that together & rub down w/ boiled linseed oil, and it should turn out rather nice.  I say that, but I have to glue a 4" crack, and fill not only a few chips w/ wood putty, but also the staple holes where someone previously had stapled the crack together - just pulled the last piece of staple out tonight.  It's a good looking piece of wood, though, just damaged.

1x new production from SARCO, pot-belly, nice dark stain, but the buttplate screw hole is just slightly too high up.  And much smaller than the stock screw.  Also missing the recoil plate nut and the barrel band retaining spring.  Not expensive parts and SARCO has 'em in stock, but would've been nice to know before I ordered the stock.  Also came w/ a nice 4x rivet new-production handguard, also dark stained wood.

1x unknown (late Universal?) 2-rivet wood handguard, mounts fine on the action, but has about 1/4" proud wood edges that project below the standard profile, meaning it won't fit a GI stock w/out extensive wood removal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#38]
FIL epoxied and plugged the hole yesterday, and punched it for me to drill.  Let's see what I can get done this morning.

Small parts ordered from SARCO last night, along w/ a Type 2 adjustable rear sight - in case Da wants it, and to hold the brass deflector for the Sinister down the road.

Went to order a 5 rounder from ProMag, and they want $30 for the thing.  May just get him a 3rd GI mag, already have a 30 rounder of unknown provenance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top