Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Here’s a really good video on the trigger.

https://youtu.be/eJB99L00VJ4
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This review demonstrates what happens if you get greedy with the trigger movement.  When he is running inconsistent and slow, it is because he is not pulling through and releasing through all the way to reset.  If you pull back before reset (but after the gun fires on release,) you lose the pull fire in that sequence (but still get a subsequent release fire.)  At the end, he gets it and does operate it efficiently, but it doesn't seem to change his opinion even when the cycle rate is much higher.

It is frustrating to see a review where the technique causes a problem, and to be fair to TFB, I have had a similar complaint, so obviously I need to better communicate how the trigger works.  We filmed a video yesterday with a trigger that was supposedly "not working right."  It ran perfectly.  (We will post in the near future.)

To me, it seems simple:  "pull through, release through."  However, I have more trigger time on this than anyone.  Now that there are hundreds of these in the wild, perhaps someone else can provide a better explanation that will allow users to understand the system better.
View Quote
You should make a video :D
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This review demonstrates what happens if you get greedy with the trigger movement.  When he is running inconsistent and slow, it is because he is not pulling through and releasing through all the way to reset.  If you pull back before reset (but after the gun fires on release,) you lose the pull fire in that sequence (but still get a subsequent release fire.)  At the end, he gets it and does operate it efficiently, but it doesn't seem to change his opinion even when the cycle rate is much higher.

It is frustrating to see a review where the technique causes a problem, and to be fair to TFB, I have had a similar complaint, so obviously I need to better communicate how the trigger works.  We filmed a video yesterday with a trigger that was supposedly "not working right."  It ran perfectly.  (We will post in the near future.)

To me, it seems simple:  "pull through, release through."  However, I have more trigger time on this than anyone.  Now that there are hundreds of these in the wild, perhaps someone else can provide a better explanation that will allow users to understand the system better.
View Quote
@franklinarmory

Just to be clear, although the author of that video does write for TFB, the review he is doing is on his own and independent of our site.

Most writers at TFB who come across an issue with a product will reach out to the manufacturer first, to give them the opportunity to explain the problem.

Posting information on a product with only a little knowledge is unfair to companies and not my style.

My commo with you guys during the official TFB review was top notch - phone and email.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/21/franklin-armory-bfsiii-hk/
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I realize now that that was not an TFB video.  I apologize for the error.  And yes Pete, you and I did have great communication and the result was a presentation that was honest and fair to all.  Thank you for that.

My staff and I will work on a technique video soon.  It is really simple though:  pull through, release through.
View Quote
No apologies needed. Looking forward to see what you guys debut next.

Honestly, I was a skeptic of binary triggers... until I actually pulled one
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my first one in Nov (it was a double digit preorder). At first it was hard to get a real cadence going and it seemed painfully slow compared to my MPX with BFS III. But...after playing with it the past few months, I have to say I absolutely love it.

1. Rock solid, ive been shooting it now for 4 months and it never fils me (though every now and then i get happy and fail it by not letting it fully reset). I believe in it enough that it now sits in my bedside mp5. Its the first non factory part ive ever trusted in a ccw/bedside weapon.

2. Its not quite as fast as full auto, but once you know just how far to pull and just how short you can release and still get reset, you can get in a great cadence without failure. I have an mpx with bfs iii and a full auto swd m11/9 with max 11 upper. The full auto is definately a different animal, but i can get both the mpx and now the mp5s running pretty close.

3. Simulated burst - this is where i actually use it now (mag dumps i leave to the mac). The fact i can squeeze off two controlled bursts in the time a single shot normally takes, putting both safely and securly on target is amazing. I always loved the mp5 2-3 rd burst and this is as close as you will get reliably every time. Binary was meant for a heavy hk in 9mm...i need not say more, this is where binary shines.

I dont do videos, but ill say this...i immediatly ordered another on optics planet in Nov (still waiting), and picked up another on gunbroker. Once they become more pentiful, i want one for all my hks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered from Optics Planet in November.  Anyone else receive theirs from OP yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing,yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Franklin Armory is accepting pre-orders again
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Considering the POTUS' rather generic verbiage on what he feels is appropriate gun control, I fear this trigger might be DOA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I preordered one directly from Franklin the other week. I don't like the big red sticker and useless markings so I bought a 2rd burst housing for it from Gatewood.

Have any of you that already have the trigger run it suppressed? I was curious if it affects the function in any way. I don't see why it would but you never know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I preordered one directly from Franklin the other week. I don't like the big red sticker and useless markings so I bought a 2rd burst housing for it from Gatewood.

Have any of you that already have the trigger run it suppressed? I was curious if it affects the function in any way. I don't see why it would but you never know.

https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/assets/images/AMBI-Lower-0-1-2-Burst-Housing--1.jpg
View Quote
I have it on my suppressed SP5K.  It runs just fine.

I thought about changing the locking piece but after putting a few hundred rounds through the suppressor with the binary trigger I don't think its necessary.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Rec'd my BFS that was on order from OP for 4 months, just in time for a possible ban in FL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Scott signed the bill, so my BFS is now illegal in FL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do not believe so...

What was the cyclic rate of your firearm when you bought it?  
What is it now that the trigger is installed?

The answer: It should not have changed.  If you have a viable technique, you can run your old trigger just as fast as a Binary Trigger.  If you have not increased the rate of fire, it is not covered under the legislation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not believe so...

The answer: It should not have changed.  If you have a viable technique, you can run your old trigger just as fast as a Binary Trigger.  If you have not increased the rate of fire, it is not covered under the legislation.
I hope you are right. Time will tell, I'll see what my local range says to me. Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]
@franklinarmory

Will your trigger pack 'drop in' a Zenith MKE Z 5RS?

Thanks
Bishop3
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 Hmm.  Ranges can be a great place to get information, but it generally needs to be vetted by source data.  Page 27 of the new bill covers the bump stock issue.  It states, "As used in this section, the term “bump-fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device."

Obviously bump-firing without a bump-fire stock, using two fingers in a trigger guard, and other techniques can fire just as fast as a machinegun.  In that case, it is not mimicking anything; it is just the natural rate of fire for the firearm.  Changing a trigger does not increase that rate of fire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not believe so...

I hope you are right. Time will tell, I'll see what my local range says to me. Thanks for your response.
 Hmm.  Ranges can be a great place to get information, but it generally needs to be vetted by source data.  Page 27 of the new bill covers the bump stock issue.  It states, "As used in this section, the term “bump-fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device."

Obviously bump-firing without a bump-fire stock, using two fingers in a trigger guard, and other techniques can fire just as fast as a machinegun.  In that case, it is not mimicking anything; it is just the natural rate of fire for the firearm.  Changing a trigger does not increase that rate of fire.
Personally, I am making the following interpretation of the vague and ambiguous new Florida law;

1) ATF, the Nation's default technical-legal authority on such issues, has already determined that a binary trigger is NOT a machinegun and has issued multiple technical determination letters to that effect. Therefore an ATF approved binary trigger system is not converting to nor "mimicking" an machinegun. If it were, ATF would (and has) vigorously prosecute individuals for violation of the NFA'34. If the State of Florida had intended to outlaw binary trigger operation, then they should have stated so in clear, well defined terms. Ambiguous language is ambiguous. I can only read words, not minds.

2) I built my AR from a virgin receiver. The ONLY trigger system it has ever been equipped with is the BFS3 so, the performance of MY gun the way it was originally (and legally) constructed MUST become the default baseline for determining if I ever "altar" MY gun with a "conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device... is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device."

DISCLAIMER- I am NOT a lawyer and I am NOT giving legal advice. Interpret any laws or regulations at your own risk.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
What the best place to buy one of these? Also can I use my zenith rd lower housing or do I need to get a new one. Not a big fan of the bright warning label.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What the best place to buy one of these? Also can I use my zenith rd lower housing or do I need to get a new one. Not a big fan of the bright warning label.
View Quote
FA can answer better then I, but I don't believe you will find one on the shelf at this time unless you pay way more then retail. I waited 4 months to get one from OP, FA is saying 8+ weeks on their site.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Just saw on the local SW FL. news a segment on bump stocks. They mentioned Binary triggers and said they were included. They are saying, after Oct. 1st if you own it you must destroy it, with no compensation. WOW! Looks like mine will stay in Ohio till they do the same. SB 260 in the works.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Well that answers that.

We getting angry yet...?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who was "they?"  Some reporter?  ....not really authoritative.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who was "they?"  Some reporter?  ....not really authoritative.
View Quote
I just tried to find the report on line, but no luck. What I remember was they (NBC2) interviewed a couple gun shop owners, and that was their opinion. One mentioned Binary triggers specifically stating that they can cost up to $600. One of them (Shoot Straight) is suing the state. This is supposed to go into affect on Oct. 1 2018.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/florida-banned-ar-15-triggers/

GA article talking a bit about it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#33]
For those that are running the Franklin Armory HK binary trigger pack, is the pack supposed to wiggle around in the grip housing? Mine passes the 8 function tests but there seems to be a lot of play between the unit and the housing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For those that are running the Franklin Armory HK binary trigger pack, is the pack supposed to wiggle around in the grip housing? Mine passes the 8 function tests but there seems to be a lot of play between the unit and the housing.
View Quote
Mine wiggles not the housing but when the grip is mounted on the gun I don't notice much wiggle and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I finally got to shoot mine. Put 350 down range, almost entirely in the binary mode. I absolutely love this thing.

Mine is installed in a 9mm Omega OM9-FS in a MP5/40 housing, because reasons. The trigger functioned flawlessly. As others have said of these, there is a very specific cadence that you do have to master in order to dump the mag. Mag dumps aren't really my thing so that is not much of a concern for me but getting a lightning fast 2 to 4 round "burst" is very feasible. If you treat this as a burst pack I honestly feel like this moves away from being a neat toy/gimmick to being a viable tool. My only chief complaints are of the selector.

Pros:
  • Big improvement over a stock MP5 trigger. Much lighter trigger pull

• Almost feels like you are firing a legitimate 2 round burst

• Works as advertised

• Very easy to manipulate the selector

• Cons:
  • In the binary position, the safety selector hangs too low. This causes my trigger finger to rest over the top of it and is uncomfortable to shoot weak handed and because of this you cannot put both paddles on and use it in an ambidextrous set up.

• The trigger pack does not fit as tightly as factory packs. I've put my binary pack into 3 different housing and each one as about 0.016" back and forth play even when the housing is installed on the gun. So far it has not resulted in any issues but I wish the fit was a little tighter.

• *Cosmetic complaint* Because you can't put the second paddle on you are left with this ridiculous looking nub on the right side of the receiver. A second, smaller paddle or a rework of the selector so the opposite side would be flush in the housing like the stock selector would be beneficial

• *Cosmetic complaint* I like the white line on the mp5 selector and intended to mark the bfs selector with one to correspond with the pictograms on my housing but the binary position won't line up, however safe and semi will.

• The price. I understand where Franklin is coming from and why its priced the way it is, but it was a hard pill to swallow. I like this trigger, and don't regret buying it but I will not be buying another unless it drops down to the level of the other triggers

• And just in case someone from Franklin Armory reads this, you need to add a PS90 and VZ61 trigger to your lineup. Those two are much more deserving of a trigger than an ACR ever was.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:56:02 PM EDT
    [#36]
    R3dundantC

The "Con" you mentioned about not having a selector paddle for the right side may have been addressed by Franklin.
    I just got one from Franklin at the end of April and it had a selector paddle for the right side.  Its just like the one on the left side
    and attaches with a little screw like the one on the left.
    Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:16:34 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Quoted:
    R3dundantC

The "Con" you mentioned about not having a selector paddle for the right side may have been addressed by Franklin.
    I just got one from Franklin at the end of April and it had a selector paddle for the right side.  Its just like the one on the left side
    and attaches with a little screw like the one on the left.
    View Quote
    It has both paddles. My complaint is that they are too long. It really digs into your trigger finger thus making it unuseable.Attachment Attached File
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:51:08 AM EDT
    [#38]
    I finally took my Franklin Armory BFS-HKC1 trigger pack out to the range this weekend as well.

It ran great in my SBR (HK94 converted to MP5 specs by Mike @TSC). I normally run this gun with my Fleming auto-sear in a 4pos trigger pack. A few observations;

The BFS pack does not turn your firearm into a machinegun. What it does offer is amazingly fast double-taps with the split time of a two round burst.

My double-taps with the BFS were more accurate than shooting bursts from my registered sear pack. Shooting my sear pack usually results in my first shot being dead on target but subsequent shots rising to the left. With the BFS, both the first and second shot were within an inch of each other @ 25 yards. This was consistent for the whole mag as I would double-tap, take a second to find my sight picture and then double-tap again. The result being that all 30 rounds from the mag were in a tight orbit around my POA.

If you get into the cadence of fire, you can dump the mag with impressive speed but the novelty of that wore off for me years ago. Instead, I just practiced making those super fast and tight double-taps. Even just doing that, a friend thought I was shooting my sear pack.

The trigger pack is loose in the grip housing. I would say there is about 1/16" of play all the way around the selector axle. I was concerned this would be a problem but after 200 rounds, I inspected both the BFS trigger pack and the bolt carrier and receiver of the host gun and could find no evidence of galling or eccentric wear. The hammer had what I would consider a normal degree of worn finish where the bolt carrier drags across it and the ejector (which was brand new) had the expected wear on the top edges. Still, the amount of play seems unsettling.

If you are on the fence about spending the money, the Franklin Armory BFS-HC1 is not a gimmick. It is a well made trigger pack that really offers an advantage over the standard trigger.

ETA- Like R3 stated, the selector design is uncomfortable to shoot on the trigger finger. I am a lefty so I removed the selector lever on the left side and installed the cover disc that was included in the package in its place.
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:25:13 AM EDT
    [#39]
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:49:56 AM EDT
    [#40]
    Quoted:

This is my exact experience as well, and we believe that LE will see the benefit of this at some point.

We always planned to work on additional levers that were shorter, but we simply have not had the machine time to push it through.  It will happen, but I can't say when.
    View Quote
    You really have a great product. I could absolutely envision the advantages it offers for law enforcement.
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:18:14 AM EDT
    [#41]
    I would love it if you made some replacement levers that looked as close to HK levers as possible.
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:08:35 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:

It has both paddles. My complaint is that they are too long. It really digs into your trigger finger thus making it unuseable.
    View Quote
    I shoot with just the tip of my finger on the trigger and I don't experience the condition you are complaining about (YMMV).
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:45:46 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Will the trigger work with the Zenith 5RS. And when is the Scorpion trigger going out? Thanks.
    Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:02:13 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Page / 4
    Next Page Arrow Left
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top