Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2021 10:06:10 AM EDT
Anyone use the Frankford arsenal intellidropper? How would you rate it? Hows the accuracy and consistency?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one before I got the RCBS Matchmaster and I really liked it.

Never lost zero and was dead nuts on according to my BB scale.

My only gripe was there is no way to program them to speed up a little like I could with the chargmaster's I used to use.

I also will add that my SD dropped quite a bit compared to my Chargmaster when I switched to the FA.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, I like it for loading my rifle rounds. It is accurate when checking against other scales. The Bluetooth pairing is finicky for me but does work. My screen seems to have a dead spot around the 9 number which I am not the only one who has encountered this. FA took care of others for that issue, I just haven't got around to emailing them for mine yet.

Overall it is a good scale but I dont have any experience with others like it to really compare it to.
I would buy it again if I needed one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently switched to an A&D FX-120i paired with the AutoThrow/AutoTrickler V3, and I'm flat-out amazed.  I had used Pact/RCBS dispensers similar to the Intelldropper for decades, but the V3 setup is faster (~10 seconds) and more accurate (+/-0.02 gr); that's with 100 gr charges of Reloder-33 where one granule is 0.04 gr!  Once in 100 or 200 charges it will drop 2 granules instead of 1 when it's finishing a charge and it goes 0.04 gr over; i just keep tweezers on hand to remove one granule and then load the charge.   With a finer-grained powder the performance my be even better.

I'm of the buy once, cry once school, and the V3 setup is the way to go.  The only excuse for not buying one is to wait for the V4 to be available next year; that will make some used V3s available, which should be real deals.

The Intellidropper should be good for use out to 300 yards or so where being off by 0.1 gr won't make any difference, but if you'r interested in long-range shooting (500 yd to 2 miles), then the V3 or V4 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  The only good features are the Bluetooth, when it works (won't connect to my new phone) and the powder calibrate feature.   The scale drifts, constantly.

I tried using it last night, I really did.  I have three electronic powder dispensers, and I feel bad for neglecting the Lyman gen 6 and Intellidropper, but I ended up just using my Autotrickler V3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently switched to an A&D FX-120i paired with the AutoThrow/AutoTrickler V3, and I'm flat-out amazed.  I had used Pact/RCBS dispensers similar to the Intelldropper for decades, but the V3 setup is faster (~10 seconds) and more accurate (+/-0.02 gr); that's with 100 gr charges of Reloder-33 where one granule is 0.04 gr!  Once in 100 or 200 charges it will drop 2 granules instead of 1 when it's finishing a charge and it goes 0.04 gr over; i just keep tweezers on hand to remove one granule and then load the charge.   With a finer-grained powder the performance my be even better.

I'm of the buy once, cry once school, and the V3 setup is the way to go.  The only excuse for not buying one is to wait for the V4 to be available next year; that will make some used V3s available, which should be real deals.

The Intellidropper should be good for use out to 300 yards or so where being off by 0.1 gr won't make any difference, but if you'r interested in long-range shooting (500 yd to 2 miles), then the V3 or V4 is the way to go.
View Quote

I'd love an autotrickler but my cost benefit ratio for it doesn't work out. Yes I'm shooting 400, 600, 1k but the type of shooting and rifles I have being within .1gr is plenty sufficient and is all I achieve with my current hand dipping and trickling anyway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd love an autotrickler but my cost benefit ratio for it doesn't work out. Yes I'm shooting 400, 600, 1k but the type of shooting and rifles I have being within .1gr is plenty sufficient and is all I achieve with my current hand dipping and trickling anyway.
View Quote

I never felt any need to use the Bluetooth on mine and it never drifted, and like I said my SD went down quite a bit. I recall about 30 FPS.

ETA: I'll also add that I use a noise filter with any kind of electronic scales that I've ever used and that pretty much always took care of any kind of drifting that I've experienced.

All the bluetooth does is save you some preset charges otherwise it's useless. I'm old school and log all my charges in a notepad anyway.

I also owned the V3 and thought it was sort of a PITA to set up every time. I just didn't bring it up here OP, because you didn't ask about it and were asking about the Intellidropper.

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never owned one, but I have watched a ton of videos from a lot of sources and the RCBS Chargemaster Lite is the way to go if .1gr is good enough for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had the Intellidropper for about 6 or 8 months now. So far I love it. I always let it warm up atleast 30 minutes before using and have a ferrite clamp on the cord. I've never experienced any drifting of the scale. I would buy it again if I needed an auto dispenser.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember, the A&D scale is excellent.  It might be purchased as part of the AutoTrickler system but it can be used on its own as a scale.

I do understand that paying $1k for ever-so-slightly more uniform charges is not within everyone's budget.  For me, it's too much money for a diminishing return on charge weight uniformity.  

My latest match rifle loadings use ball powder to facilitate throwing uniform charge weights instead of spending big bucks on a powder thrower.

The less expensive ones (FA, RCBS, Lyman) don't throw that accurately.  The really expensive ones (AutoTrickler, Prometheus) throw accurately but are, well,... expensive.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remember, the A&D scale is excellent.  It might be purchased as part of the AutoTrickler system but it can be used on its own as a scale.

I do understand that paying $1k for ever-so-slightly more uniform charges is not within everyone's budget.  For me, it's too much money for a diminishing return on charge weight uniformity.  

My latest match rifle loadings use ball powder to facilitate throwing uniform charge weights instead of spending big bucks on a powder thrower.

The less expensive ones (FA, RCBS, Lyman) don't throw that accurately.  The really expensive ones (AutoTrickler, Prometheus) throw accurately but are, well,... expensive.
View Quote

I agree. I chase practical accuracy but I'm not a competition shooter. My rifles are good but not competition level. My goal in my training and shooting has been to hit dinner plates consistently, quickly, and at all distances. I'm not chasing ragged holes. I think the autotrickler is the best powder dropper, bar none, end of discussion. It's just that my rifles and my shooting won't necessarily see the benefits and with the extra money it costs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an FA used here on the EE and am happy with the purchase. It is infinitely faster loading ladders vs doing so manually, and that was my main reason for buying. Turns out it's pretty accurate too! Mine drops loads just a hair light, and I'm ok with that.

My only gripe so far is the unit's intolerance for florescent lighting. I have a very bright shop, unless I'm running the FA. If I run the big lights the scale drifts a lot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought an FA used here on the EE and am happy with the purchase. It is infinitely faster loading ladders vs doing so manually, and that was my main reason for buying. Turns out it's pretty accurate too! Mine drops loads just a hair light, and I'm ok with that.

My only gripe so far is the unit's intolerance for florescent lighting. I have a very bright shop, unless I'm running the FA. If I run the big lights the scale drifts a lot.
View Quote

My FA is 1 tenth of a grain off across the board, it weighs heavy so the loads are light. I have certified calibration weights and have checked it at several different load weights. So if I need 29.4 grains I have to set it at 29.5, but it hits the number every time.

When I had florescent lighting in my loading room mine to drifted, but I have since switched to LED lights and the problem went away. Temperature swings make it drift as well, when I am loading I close the register vent in the room so the air conditioning and heat maintain a constant level. Also air movement will affect them as well. Very sensitive unit to outside anomalies. I also heard that cell phones can effect them, which makes me scratch my head as to why they have an app for cell phones to operate it. I don't use this feature.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I love mine.  I leave it turned on 24/7.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My FA is 1 tenth of a grain off across the board, it weighs heavy so the loads are light. I have certified calibration weights and have checked it at several different load weights. So if I need 29.4 grains I have to set it at 29.5, but it hits the number every time.

When I had florescent lighting in my loading room mine to drifted, but I have since switched to LED lights and the problem went away. Temperature swings make it drift as well, when I am loading I close the register vent in the room so the air conditioning and heat maintain a constant level. Also air movement will affect them as well. Very sensitive unit to outside anomalies. I also heard that cell phones can effect them, which makes me scratch my head as to why they have an app for cell phones to operate it. I don't use this feature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering if led would have that advantage. My current fixtures are only ~5yrs old, but when the time comes I will be making the switch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always been a bit leery of most Frankford Arsenal products, especially electronics.  They may be decent nowadays, but there's a pretty large community of folks with the Chargemasters and good info on how to program and tune them if you'd like.  I've had my regular CM for close to 10 years now and haven't had a single issue with it.  I don't know if it throws charges with a sub .1gr variance and don't really need to know.  In my 6.5CM and .308 the loads are plenty good to whack a 10" plate at 1K yards consistently, and have a low enough SD that I have good consistent dope on them.  

One thing that I think helped was that I've always kept it plugged into a 120v line conditioner.  The power at the outlet is surprisingly crappy, I can hear the relay clicking in that line conditioner pretty regularly.  Good clean power, no fluorescent lights and turning it on to warm up for a half hour or so before you run it seem to be key to getting good consistency out of the CM's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was wondering if led would have that advantage. My current fixtures are only ~5yrs old, but when the time comes I will be making the switch.
View Quote

I replaced all of the fluorescent lights in my reloading room with direct wire LED tubes, and it did seem to make some difference.    The biggest difference I noticed is when I started running my scales on a Rockpals "solar generator" with pure sine wave output.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump for more info.

Is it possible to speed the trickling process by dropping a powder charge into a pan with a manual powder dispenser then letting the Intellidropper finish trickling to the tenth grain/completion?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
My first one broke. They sent me a new one.

I like it though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bump for more info.

Is it possible to speed the trickling process by dropping a powder charge into a pan with a manual powder dispenser then letting the Intellidropper finish trickling to the tenth grain/completion?
View Quote

I guess you could...but it would cause issues.  The machine won't auto dispense a new charge until the pan reads a stable "zero"...then it starts to dispense the next charge.  How big of a hurry are you in? It only takes about 25 seconds for it to complete a medium-sized rifle charge.  If you take a few minutes to set up your bench correctly, you can be seating a bullet during that time, and when that is done, the next charge is ready and waiting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top