Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2018 8:04:47 AM EDT
Starting bid is $525.  Anyone know who made it and is it any good.

It was at $550 before and I thought about bidding and wasn't sure since I have never heard of the name before.

The owner dropped it to $525 and I might bid if someone here can tell me anything about it.

Western Arms Yellowboy
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if this will help, I purchased a Navy Arms in 38 special and it seems to be a well built rifle.  Even equal to my yellowboy Winchester.  The Navy Arms looks to be the twin in your post.  I paid a little more for both rifles, especially the Winchester.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok. So it is probably an Uberti.  Smoking good deal then.  I really want an 1873 rifle with case hardened receiver in 357 mag.

I also want a Yellowboy.  Was planning on the 73 first but may have to change the plans depending on how high the price goes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't do it.  That's an early first gen import.

Those rifles are quite a bit different than the later imports.  Parts are almost all different and not available.

Easy to tell the first gen from later models by the lever safety just behind the trigger and the lever shaped like the 1873 models.  Also has a shorter carrier sized just for the .38 special.

That one appears to have had the lever safety removed at some time, so someone has messed with it.

If you could actually fondle the rifle and shoot a few rounds through it $500 might be a good deal.  Over the internet, sight unseen, no way.

Save up and buy a newer one for a couple hundred more.

ETA:  I looked closer and the lever safety is still in place, but spring is not pushing it down, so either removed or broken.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of these early import ones cheap-$400-a few years ago.  Head space issues, popping primers, lousy accuracy.  Best I can tell you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad I checked in here. Would rather pay more and get a gun with a warranty.  Thanks for the responses
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I realize this is a very old thread but I have the info the OP was looking for.

I have a Western Arms marked 1866 carbine in 44-40. The date code of AE indicates 1979. From what I've read Western Arms was sued over the name being too much like Western Ammunition so the owner changed the name of the company to his last name, Allen Firearms. He was subsequently bought out by Mike Harvey who is the founder and owner of
Cimarron Firearms.

My gun needed some minor smoothing out but runs as fast as I can work the action.

My gun was made by Uberti.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top