Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2020 5:53:24 PM EDT
This Mauser popped up at my LGS for $299 and though kinda rattly it needed a new home.  I had a hole in my collection since I sold my last Gew98(Obendorf 1917 with Turkish markings) and missed the Lange Visier.  It looks like an early CZ that was likely assembled from partially leftover German WWI production parts. Some quick research points to CZ's first contract for 98/22's to Turkey in 1922 since this rifle lacks a letter prefix to the SN and still has the Lange rear sight. Oddly there is no commercial info on the side rail of the receiver.

The only matching numbers are Receiver, Bbl, and rear sight but, it came with a bayonet, the cleaning rod, capture screws, and rear/parade swivel. Some detail cleaning uncovered an import mark on the bbl and Turkish/Farsi? characters on the bolt, shroud, and firing pin.

The bayonet, marked C.G. Haenel/ Suhl has suffered some serious abuse. In addition to previous sharpening with a grinder, there were three huge dents/chips in the belly of the blade. Some time with my work sharp improved things but, it'll never be pretty. The sheath seems to be in good shape.

I hope to get her out to the range shortly and see how she'll group.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Super cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top