Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2020 12:24:13 AM EDT
Hi all,
My father passed away and left me several machine guns.  He used to be a class 3 dealer in the 90's but I am sure these are transferable and not pre-May samples.  The thing is the only paperwork I can find are some form 3's. I could have sworn I saw some paperwork with a stamp but that has not surfaced or maybe that was just my imagination from when I was younger.  

I would like to submit these guns on a form 5 soon but having never done this (and there isn't a ton on form 5's on the internet) I am not sure what to submit to the ATF when I do.  
Is this (form 3) paperwork adequate enough? Do I even need to send it in along with the form 5's as proof? Any help or info on people's experience and what paperwork the ATF wants would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
PN
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Transferrables to you, as the heir of an estate, are OK - you'll have to fill them out (the F5s) and maybe provide state probate or bequest paperwork, related to the estate.

You don't have to provide ATF copies of the F3s or whatever. They know what's in your father's "bucket" as far as registrations on the NFRTR
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you the executor of the estate?

Thats who needs to submit the F5's....
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Transferrables to you, as the heir of an estate, are OK - you'll have to fill them out (the F5s) and maybe provide state probate or bequest paperwork, related to the estate.

You don't have to provide ATF copies of the F3s or whatever. They know what's in your father's "bucket" as far as registrations on the NFRTR
View Quote

Awesome! Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you the executor of the estate?

Thats who needs to submit the F5's....
View Quote

Good call-I am not. Trying to get all of the materials to that person (fingerprint cards, passport photos, etc.) and don't want to miss anything and have to go back and forth with the ATF because of a missing piece.

-Pickled
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Transfers of National Firearms Act Firearms in Decedents’ Estates

Updated in 2006, information should still be valid.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Transfers of National Firearms Act Firearms in Decedents’ Estates

Updated in 2006, information should still be valid.
View Quote

Perfect! Thank you!

The forms should hopefully get sent in within the next week or two. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the form 5 wait times are still only around 1 month.

Perfect time to need lots of 9mm

-Pickled
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have several individual approved NFA items and several in a trust.

Can my individual items be transferred to my trust via form 5 if I die.

My son is the beneficiary of the individual items and he is a co trustee/successor trustee.

Not sure if it matters if the items go in the trust or transfer directly to him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can my individual items be transferred to my trust via form 5 if I die?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Can my individual items be transferred to my trust via form 5 if I die?
Yes, because inherited NFA transfers are always tax-exempt.
Any legal entity (including a trust) can be named as a beneficiary.

My son is the beneficiary of the individual items and he is a co trustee/successor trustee.
Not sure if it matters if the items go in the trust or transfer directly to him.
If the trust will cease to exist upon your death (after distribution to beneficiaries) then you would not want them to transfer into the trust after you die (so direct would be better).
Each state has its own rules about whether a trust can survive the settlor (and for how long).

Each firearm can go to whomever you will it to (or to the beneficiaries named in a trust). If your son makes his own trust or LLC later then you could name that entity as the beneficiary, instead of him as an individual.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the trust can survive after my death, but it becomes irrevocable.  With him being the only other trustee, it sounds pointless to keep items in the trust after my death.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You could also have the beneficiary of the current trust changed to a new trust, and also have the individual-registered items assigned to go to the new trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have several individual approved NFA items and several in a trust.

Can my individual items be transferred to my trust via form 5 if I die.

You could also have the beneficiary of the current trust changed to a new trust, and also have the individual-registered items assigned to go to the new trust.

Didn't think of that.
So create a trust with son as settlor, trustee and beneficiary.  All my items transfer to his trust upon my death. He gets flexibility of trust to add future cotrustees and beneficiary.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top