Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2021 5:39:52 PM EDT
I am about to purchase a new silencer for my HK SP5 and while at the LGS today the guy behind the counter says I should file as an individual as the wait times are much less, then I can simply write the silencer down on my appendix in my trust and that’s it, now it’s part of the trust.  

First off, that just doesn’t sound like that it would be that simple. Does anyone have any info on this or able to cite some sources?

I checked the NFA tracker on silencer shop, it does look like about a 200 day average for individual vs about 300 days for a trust.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You can transfer to your trust at any time, but will need to pay a new $200 NFA tax when you do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol.gun guy is wrong.
View Quote

Yeah what I thought. My BS meter immediately pegged.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can transfer to your trust at any time, but will need to pay a new $200 NFA tax when you do.
View Quote

That’s what I thought as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am about to purchase a new silencer for my HK SP5 and while at the LGS today the guy behind the counter says I should file as an individual as the wait times are much less, then I can simply write the silencer down on my appendix in my trust and that’s it, now it’s part of the trust.  

First off, that just doesn’t sound like that it would be that simple. Does anyone have any info on this or able to cite some sources?

I checked the NFA tracker on silencer shop, it does look like about a 200 day average for individual vs about 300 days for a trust.

Thanks.
View Quote

Are you sure you are looking at NFA tracker correctly?

Attachment Attached File

Also, as others have said, it would be another Form 4 to transfer it from you as an individual to your trust.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are you sure you are looking at NFA tracker correctly?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145596/nfa_track_JPG-1857565.JPG

Also, as others have said, it would be another Form 4 to transfer it from you as an individual to your trust.
View Quote

@firepyro515

Hard to tell in that photo. When I looked just now I see a horizontal bar graph, not that one you posted The one I saw is showing F4 - Trust - Paper over 300 days. Silencer shop had a note F4 Trusts can’t efile currently. What are you seeing?

https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
That NFA tracker is a relatively small sample size.  Not even worth looking at.

I would not do individual and then transfer to a trust.  I say that as somebody who ordered their first silencer as an individual and then later made a trust for all my other NFA thingies.  I have never felt like paying uncle sam an extra $200 to keep the same can in the same place and shoot it on the same guns.  I'd much rather spend that money on a different stamp to make a different SBR or suppressor.  Double stamp on the same item is pants on head retarded.

I would find a new gun shop, cause that dude is straight up smooth brain stupid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@firepyro515

Hard to tell in that photo. When I looked just now I see a horizontal bar graph, not that one you posted The one I saw is showing F4 - Trust - Paper over 300 days. Silencer shop had a note F4 Trusts can’t efile currently. What are you seeing?

https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times
View Quote

@ti_27

Are you sure that you are looking at the correct portion of the graph? The only thing i'm seeing that is over 300 days is 12 month average for Paper Form 4s for LLC/Corp.

12 Month Avg
Attachment Attached File

3 Month Avg
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
..... at the LGS today the guy behind the counter says I should file as an individual as the wait times are much less,  
View Quote

<----FFL/SOT
the guy behind the counter is a moron.
Wait time for a trust with one member is identical to that of an individual. A trust with ten members may take longer because it has more BG checks to run.

then I can simply write the silencer down on my appendix in my trust and that’s it, now it’s part of the trust.  
View Quote

He's not just a moron, but dumber than a bag of hammers.

View Quote

Thats because NFA Tracker is useless.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@ti_27

Are you sure that you are looking at the correct portion of the graph? The only thing i'm seeing that is over 300 days is 12 month average for Paper Form 4s for LLC/Corp.

12 Month Avg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145596/12_month_JPG-1857594.JPG

3 Month Avg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145596/3month_JPG-1857595.JPG
View Quote

You should know that eForm 4's disappeared over six years ago. Thats a clue as to how accurate NFA Tracker is.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You should know that eForm 4's disappeared over six years ago. Thats a clue as to how accurate NFA Tracker is.
View Quote

I know they disappeared, but NFA tracker still retained the data. That being said, having worked at an FFL for the past decade, I find that NFA tracker times are still pretty accurate even with the small subset of forms that are tracked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top